Are you a professional?

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Are you a professional? How does one act as a professional?

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am a professional asshole, does that count? :icon_mrgr

I consider myself a professional in the IT field. I have been working in the field for 7 years, supporting end users, and also, working on servers, desktops, laptops, and wireless devices. I have been in a customer service type position for over 20 years.

Professionalism is all on how you present yourself, IMO.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
My incompetence, lack of skills and utter defeatism prevents me from being or becoming any sort of professional.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I'm a professional.... a professional geek. I basically get paid to be nerdy.
But seriously, my field is a relatively small one and there aren't a lot of people who understand or can do what I do, so yeah, I guess.

Am I professional as I work? I would say yes. Occasionally we drop some f-bombs around here if we're getting stressed, but the whole department does it. However I do conduct myself professionally. Sometimes in meetings when I get the floor I sound all professional-like.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
um...well i'm a professional bill collector in that it is my current profession. in aprill i'll be a political scientist...woop

nolajersey

Miss Wackbag Cleavage 2006 & 2007
Jun 2, 2006
Dirty Jerzee
I am a professional when dealing with the accounts here. I am also the Customer Service manager so I am very professional on the phones. However when we are not on the phones we are a bunch of children.

Ronreddog

Unofficial O&A Twitter Tough Guy
May 11, 2007
Sunny Florida
One of the key points I left out is separating personal from professional. Here is an example, that I dealt with yesterday:

I called a Field Case Manager, someone that works from home, who was having problems with their all-in-one Brother printer. I only got involved with the ticket, because my manager asked me to call. She had called on 1/7, and called almost daily, and escalated it through management.

Now, I spent an hour on the phone with her, walking her through the steps we needed to go through, according to the User Guide, to fix a paper jam. All the time, she is swearing, and saying shit like "I am going to quit this job", and "do you know how much money I bring in for this company".

Well, I know it was not a personal thing, so I acted professional, and resolved her issue, She was grateful, and I felt the sense of accomplishment. I was mentally exhausted after the call, though.

Sorry for the rambling, I think you get my point, though.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005

"I am a professional"

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Apr 6, 2005
I Will Pay Snakes To Bite You
I am a doctor of psychology. I take my profession very seriously and when I am with a patient I am 100% professional in every sense of the word. The rest of the time I am a stark-raving lunatic.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Yeah, you ought to see me in a meeting. I'm super prepared has every answer, know it all guy. It's sickening really. When a technical issue comes up, I'm the person everyone somehow ends up listening to even if the problem isn't with my equipment. I have this sort of other self I turn into but only when the situation truly demands it of me. People tend to think I'm taking it easy until they've worked with me a couple of times when the shit has hit the fan. Then they learn.

cigarsandscotch

Smoke and drink up.
Jan 13, 2005
Middletown NJ
Yeah I'm a professional.
Old ladies are notorious for accidentally ripping loud farts while transferring from their stretchers to my catscan table. I pretend that I don't notice neither the blast nor the smell, all the while maintaining a straight face. After I leave the room I laugh my ass off (where they can't see or hear me).

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i like to think i am, my problem is were i work, the long standing problem is the lack of professionalism, im the weird one, to the rest of the guys i work with, most of them treat every customer like an idiot, and every time i make an "executive decision" i catch a bunch of shit from my owner, so i have a tendency to professionally pass the buck to my boss

Zeroman

The Man with Zero
Oct 7, 2006
Port St. Lucie, FL
Yeah I'm a professional.
Old ladies are notorious for accidentally ripping loud farts while transferring from their stretchers to my catscan table. I pretend that I don't notice neither the blast nor the smell, all the while maintaining a straight face. After I leave the room I laugh my ass off (where they can't see or hear me).
you need a trophy for that........i dont think i could hold back :clap::clap::clap:

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Yes I am. I professionally kiss my bosses ass everyday and drink with him when asked. Plus I love my job.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I am a professional and have letters after my name that say I'm a professional. :) I do attempt to be professional, but it's difficult when I'm perpetually fighting the "it's not my job" line when it so clearly is their job. I do my best to remain calm & rational, but people are just fucking idiots.

TheLittlerJimmy

May 24, 2007
Cincinnati
I do P.R. for the federal government.

I like to think I represent our country professionally, but it's hard to take myself seriously when I generally have to mute O&A cock jokes when dealing with the press or congresspeople.