Book Armada by Big Ernie Cline July 14

Everyone is calling it Last Starfighter or Ender's Game. I'm sure it will be different but I almost want it not to be.
Regardless I'm in, might just wait for the audiobook though with Will Wheaton no doubt.

Me too. The audiobook should come out the same day.
The cool thing about Ready Player One on audio (and I expect this will be) is that you can Google all of these references from the 80s while you listen.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
The cool thing about Ready Player One on audio (and I expect this will be) is that you can Google all of these references from the 80s while you listen.
Or you could just be an old fuck like me and not have to google them. :(

Or you could just be an old fuck like me and not have to google them. :(
I would say I'm old too going on 38, I just haven't seen some of those games for over 30 years. Like Black Tiger for instance, I might have played once.

Rash Rendering

Very fuckin excited about this. God damn i hate waiting for books to come out.

Read a synopsis for this today and it feels like he's developing a kind of style. Like meta fanservice.

Mild spoilers I guess if you don't even want to know the single line premise of this book:

A lot of anime have a similar idea - "anime fan suddenly finds himself in the scenario exactly like the ones in the shows he loves." And since RP1 also had a kind of "tent pole nerd fantasy" flavor to it, he is almost building a niche for himself in the "geek saves the world" genre haha.

I checked out this Star Runners book since I was in between other books. It's not bad, though I didn't pay attention that it was the start of a series and there is already a second book out. I usually don't do space books so I don't have much to compare it to though I expect none of it was groundbreaking. Not sure how big in scope this series will get as it currently is told through a main characters point of view. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Armada particularly if that is a one and done book.

I hope so. Too many series out there. I'd like to pass a law that says at most a trilogy or the author gets the chair.
Yeah, three is a good number, more than that feels like you are just milking it. I kind of wish I knew how many Star Runners would be, while book one ended as if it could be a one off, being that you are dealing with vast space the series could go on forever. I will probably check out the second if they release an audio book, it just came out two weeks ago.

@LiddyRules

This book certainly loves its references. Its a little obnoxious. I feel like I'm listening to the guys from Welcome to Eltingville.

STOP MAKING NERD REFERENCES ! GOD DAMMIT! YOU KNOW NERD CULTURE! I GET IT! GET TO THE FUCKING SPACE SHIP!

He's literally just listing endless video games and sci-fi shows that his dad watched or played. Does this get better or should I quit?

If chapter 4 doesn't do SOMETHING interesting I'm out. So far he's talking about how hot his mom is and I'm almost ready to bail.

and I'm out! Can't take anymore.

I've seen enough anime and manga to tell where its going.

Nerd uses his video game skills to save the world from alien invasion or whatever. Its been done 100 times before and with far less Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, and Marvel comics references.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
and I'm out! Can't take anymore.

I've seen enough anime and manga to tell where its going.

Nerd uses his video game skills to save the world from alien invasion or whatever. Its been done 100 times before and with far less Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, and Marvel comics references.
You’re lucky. I tried to stop reading it and @LiddyRules yelled at me and told me I was a worthless son of a bitch and a whore.