Armchairs and Brandy: A Gentleman's Book Club for Gentlemen

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
After @Jacuzzi Billy recommended reading John Steinbeck's Cannery Row, a couple of us expressed interest in doing a new book club, one for the Classics. So with @HandPanzer and @whiskeyguy on board, we're starting a book club exclusively for books published pre-1950. We haven't set rules yet for choosing books or setting order, but we'll figure that out as we gauge interest.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I may join in, depending on the book to care ratio.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Pre-1950? Why didn't you just come out and say "No science fiction" or "Fuck you Neon and BIV?"

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Can you chug the brandy straight out of the bottle in this club?

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
No!

It will be delicately sipped from fine crystal snifters with pinky finger extended.

The gentlemen of the Gentleman's Book Club for Gentlemen are gentlemen, not animals.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Pre-1950? Why didn't you just come out and say "No science fiction" or "Fuck you Neon and BIV?"
There are plenty of sci-fi options. The Barsoom Books, Higgity Wells, Jules Verne, pulp magazines like Amazing Stories.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I have an option for somewhere down the line. I've been wanting to read a Twain book other than Tom and Huck so I've been looking over his works and came across, Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Here is the description...

Joan of Arc's life and her accomplishments, as seen through the eyes of her childhood friend, are described with irony and brilliant insight into human nature. This was Twain's last book and he considered it to be his best.

Sound familiar? We could compare it to the infamous Lamb.

LiddyRules

I have an option for somewhere down the line. I've been wanting to read a Twain book other than Tom and Huck so I've been looking over his works and came across, Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Here is the description...

Joan of Arc's life and her accomplishments, as seen through the eyes of her childhood friend, are described with irony and brilliant insight into human nature. This was Twain's last book and he considered it to be his best.

Sound familiar? We could compare it to the infamous Lamb.
I have Tender is The Night, Farewell to Arms, and The Big Sleep on deck, but I'm willing to give this a go.

LiddyRules

Those all sound good too.

How far in Can Row are you?
Halfway.

American author Maxwell Geismar delivered a scathing review: “Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, in 1896 was Sam Clemens’ (Twain) worst book…It is difficult to find anything of interest in Joan of Arc – except its badness.”[11]

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
When this book club fails I'm starting the "Porch Couches and Whiskey" reading club. All you need are subscriptions to Field & Stream and American Rifleman.

Creasy Bear

Donator
Hows about The Sea Wolf, by Jack London?

I read it a coon's age ago, but I remember it being a good and quick read.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Halfway.

American author Maxwell Geismar delivered a scathing review: “Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, in 1896 was Sam Clemens’ (Twain) worst book…It is difficult to find anything of interest in Joan of Arc – except its badness.”[11]
Hmm, that would make me worry more if the reader reviews weren't so favorable.

There's always Pudd'nhead Wlison as a backup plan.

Creasy Bear

Donator
When this book club fails I'm starting the "Porch Couches and Whiskey" reading club. All you need are subscriptions to Field & Stream and American Rifleman.
I'm going to start Pedialyte and Toilets: A Book Club for the Food Poisoned

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I keep trying to finish War and Peace. That'll be perfect for light autumn fare.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Right now I am liking the JL book or the Big Sleep for October. Those both fit exactly what I am looking for from classic book club.

DrewDown

All are welcome
Fuck yes, I'm in. The 1950 cap is interesting. We may need to wiggle beyond it at times if this is successful.

LiddyRules

Right now I am liking the JL book or the Big Sleep for October. Those both fit exactly what I am looking for from classic book club.
JL? Justice League? Oh. Jack London. I am pulling for Sleep since I have it but am good for both.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Every month goes the same way.
"You finish Moby Dick yet?"
"Nope."
"Alright, let's drink and shoot shit."

LiddyRules

Every month goes the same way.
"You finish Moby Dick yet?"
"Nope."
"Alright, let's drink and shoot shit."
Plugging a white whale with a harpoon takes on a different meaning at 1 am.