Army includes special ammunition in hunt for new handgun

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Army includes special ammunition in hunt for new handgun
The U.S. Army has included different ammunition types in its competition for a new handgun.
By Richard Tomkins | July 9, 2015 at 2:56 PM
129 Comments

Maj. Brent Streater prepares for a M9 pistol Competition on Forward Operating Base Slayer, Iraq. The U.S. Army is seeking to replace the M9 with a new handgun. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Matthew Friberg
FORT BELVOIR, Va., July 9 (UPI) -- The U.S. Army competition to replace its M9 handgun has been expanded to include new types of ammunition for them.

The change to the service's draft solicitation for the new handgun project, called XM17 Modular Handgun System, was presented on Wednesday at an industry day for interested vendors at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.

"Expanding the XM17 Modular Handgun competition to include special-purpose ammunition will provide the warfighter with a more accurate and lethal handgun," said Richard Jackson, special assistant to the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General for Law of War. "Other types of ammunition allow the XM17 Modular Handgun System to be optimized by vendors, providing a more capable system to warfighters across the spectrum of shooter experience and skill level."

Jackson told the industry day participants that federal, state, local and military law enforcement elements routinely use expanding and fragmenting ammunition, such as hollow point bullets, instead of full metal jacket -- or ball -- ammunition in handguns because of their increased capability and the Army is looking at doing so as well.

The Army currently plans to purchase more than 280,000 new handguns from a single vendor, with deliveries to begin in 2018. The Army also plans to buy about 7,000 compact versions of the new handgun.

"Handgun technology has advanced significantly thanks to lighter-weight materials, ergonomics and accessory rails since 1986, when the M9 entered the Army's inventory," said Debi Dawson, a spokesperson for the Army's Program Executive Office Soldier. "The Army is seeking a handgun system that outperforms the current M9 system. It also must be modular, meaning it allows adjustments to fit all hand sizes."

The Army said representatives from more than 20 companies attended the industry day event but did not identify them because of federal procurement restrictions.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Se...-for-new-handgun/5451436465890/?spt=sec&or=bn

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
this should be interesting, im sure there are a million internet gun fighters that are giving there opinion on this

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
As long as the DoD quits with the hardon for manual safeties, the Glock is a no brainer, and they are already producing their handguns in the US.

THE FEZ MAN

As long as the DoD quits with the hardon for manual safeties, the Glock is a no brainer, and they are already producing their handguns in the US.
not to mention they are bing used by other NATO army's, they are simple to maintain and are proven to be sturdy.

Hate & Discontent

As well as Sig (Exeter NH) and H & K (Portsmouth NH).
US made SIGs have been hit and miss on quality, and I'm not sure if H&K is actually making their pistols in the US or importing them. I know the MR556 is made here (or at least most of it is), but the import restrictions for rifles are different than pistols.

I've had no issues with my Sig pistol... in either case they are both here to get a us contract.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
US made SIGs have been hit and miss on quality, and I'm not sure if H&K is actually making their pistols in the US or importing them. I know the MR556 is made here (or at least most of it is), but the import restrictions for rifles are different than pistols.

I think the only fully U.S. made handgun is the HK45. All the others as far as I know are made in Oberndorf and imported either through N.H. or the Georgia headquarters. The MR series of rifles are assembled here in the U.S. from mostly German made parts. I 99% sure the barrels are forged in Oberndorf and finished via the cold hammering process by Daniel Defense here in the U.S. and that gets HK past the barrel importation "ban" as it were.

Hate & Discontent

I think the only fully U.S. made handgun is the HK45. All the others as far as I know are made in Oberndorf and imported either through N.H. or the Georgia headquarters. The MR series of rifles are assembled here in the U.S. from mostly German made parts. I 99% sure the barrels are forged in Oberndorf and finished via the cold hammering process by Daniel Defense here in the U.S. and that gets HK past the barrel importation "ban" as it were.
It's been a while since I've read up on the MR556 import problems HK ran into, but what you're saying sounds right. I think the lower had to be made here, too, but those are pretty easy.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
It's been a while since I've read up on the MR556 import problems HK ran into, but what you're saying sounds right. I think the lower had to be made here, too, but those are pretty easy.
Just looked at a couple pics of my HK MR556(I'm still in Colorado and it is at home in a safe). All the proof marks on the upper are the Liberty Bell with a "P" in it, so it was made here in the U.S. with parts imported from Germany. The lower does have HK Columbus, Ga. lasered into it so that was made here. But the internals (bolt, carrier, trigger group, barrel) all have proof marks from the Ulm proof house (deer/stag antlers).

Side note I am kicking my self from not buying a kraut made blued P226 from that woman I got that Ruger Redhawk from... as like an idiot I go why do I need two P226s in 9mm... that be silly... feck.

ysr50

Donator
Thinking about a G21, I have a nice 1911 and I'm leaning towards another .45. One friend said he hated his, another friend said that friend was a pussy. Thoughts?

THE FEZ MAN

Thinking about a G21, I have a nice 1911 and I'm leaning towards another .45. One friend said he hated his, another friend said that friend was a pussy. Thoughts?
I would buy one, I have a Glock 36 and I like it but it's not a "target" pistol it's strictly a close quarters weapon it's a little small. I bought it to carry when my keltec was getting repaired. I've got 3 Glocks a gen 2 19, 36, and a 43, and want to buy a 19, with a threaded barrel and the extended sights for a suppressor

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
here's all you need gentlemen:

Best handgun I've ever owned. Put many thousands, perhaps 10's of thousands, of rounds through it since I bought it in '93. Never a malfunction, just a fucking awesome pistol.

Hate & Discontent

Why? Fuck'em. Glock sells more guns to more people, I like Glocks. Goddamn bang, bang everytime.
Haven't heard a reason for the protest yet.

Get a Gen 4 or a Gen 3 SF (short frame) version. Other than that, they're good pistols.

ysr50

Donator
Haven't heard a reason for the protest yet.

Get a Gen 4 or a Gen 3 SF (short frame) version. Other than that, they're good pistols.
Gen 4 aren't on the roster here so they're unobtanium unless you're an LEO or you find a used one here for sale from an LEO. Why do you suggest the SF version over a standard version? I haven't laid hands on either, just curious.

Hate & Discontent

Gen 4 aren't on the roster here so they're unobtanium unless you're an LEO or you find a used one here for sale from an LEO. Why do you suggest the SF version over a standard version? I haven't laid hands on either, just curious.
The standard 21 has a pretty long reach to the trigger. I've got fairly large hands, and it's not really that comfortable, even for me. The SF shaves 2-3mm off that reach, and makes it a lot easier to shoot.

ysr50

Donator
The standard 21 has a pretty long reach to the trigger. I've got fairly large hands, and it's not really that comfortable, even for me. The SF shaves 2-3mm off that reach, and makes it a lot easier to shoot.
Thanks, I'm also a big handed man, maybe I'll just stick to practicing with the 1911 and the 23.