Army paints tank pink

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Soldiers at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma place a pink M60 tank on a target range for artillery shelling. The pink paint job is not for the reason you might think.
October 22nd, 2012
06:00 AM ET

Army paints tank pink, but not for the reason you might think

By Larry Shaughnessy
October is when America's favorite color seems to be pink.

NFL football players don pink cleats and hang pink towels from their belts.

The wives of both major presidential candidates risk a fashion police citation by wearing the same shade of pink to the second debate. And the president himself is seen wearing a pink rubber bracelet.

Everywhere there are pink ribbons. In almost every case, this temporary change of hues is in recognition of October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, when public service organizations unite to promote breast cancer awareness, share information on the disease, and provide greater access to services.

But when the Army recently sent out pictures of a pink tank at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, saving woman from the disease was not the goal.

Fort Sill is one of the places where soldiers go to learn how to fire artillery at targets. When you are shooting a gun that fires a round the size of a cured ham, you don't shoot at paper targets, you shoot at three-dimensional targets.

The people who run the target range at Fort Sill recently changed the targets, removing what's left of old jeeps and humvees and moving in new ones, including an M60 tank painted a very vibrant shade of pink.

The M60 Patton tank was the workhorse of the U.S. Army's armored divisions in Vietnam until the deployment of the M1 Abrams, the tank currently in use today.

Fort Sill obtained two old M60s from Fort Knox, the home of the Army's tank training, for the target range.
When they arrived, one tank was painted pink, the other purple.

According to a news release from Army, the paint colors where used in previous training to help new soldiers know which tank to aim at.

At Fort Sill, where the tanks will be targeted by high-explosive artillery rounds, it won't matter what color they are. In a few months, there won't be much left to see.
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...-pink-but-not-for-the-reason-you-might-think/

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Hoo hoo...

Photo featuring a vintage 'Pink Panther' Land Rover of the type operated by SAS Mobility Troop. In use with the Regiment between the late 60s up until the mid-80s, these were based on the Series IIA 90 Land Rover. The pink paint scheme was said to be highly effective in the desert. They were eventually replaced by the Land Rover 110 series and its more subdued beige camouflage scheme.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Reporter thought he'd do a breast cancer month story with the pink tanks, turns out there's another reason for the color, but he still had to turn something in. There you go.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Instead of figuring out what causes cancer lets paint things pink and give more money to big pharma.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Instead of figuring out what causes cancer lets paint things pink and give more money to big pharma.
But when the Army recently sent out pictures of a pink tank at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, saving woman from the disease was not the goal.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
So the army has to paint stuff pink because there are so many people out there that don't know cancer exists? Who are these people?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
1. They didnt paint it for breast cancer awareness.
2. Donations generally go to research organizations, not to pharmaceutical companies.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Methinks dummy did not read the article.

And, dude, I liked the show too. But having a Buffy avatar is really pathetic. At least Puppet Angel was somewhat quirky.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
So the army has to paint stuff pink because there are so many people out there that don't know cancer exists? Who are these people?
It's fun, silly Kirk!

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
1. They didnt paint it for breast cancer awareness.
2. Donations generally go to research organizations, not to pharmaceutical companies.
Hush. Kirk doesn't appreciate the truth when it doesn't further his agenda

Methinks dummy did not read the article.

And, dude, I liked the show too. But having a Buffy avatar is really pathetic. At least Puppet Angel was somewhat quirky.
Hey!

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
That would make night firing a bitch.

I liked this story better when the grunts at Ft. Benning painted a tank infantry blue to fuck with the armor guys that are there now.

That'll learn 'em to change "the home of the infantry" to "the maneuver center of excellence."

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
What's with this "we" crap? No one's making you wear pink, or stopping you from figuring out what causes cancer.