Army Ranger to get Medal of Honor for heroics in Afghanistan

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Army Ranger to get Medal of Honor for heroics in Afghanistan
From Brad Lendon, CNN
July 12, 2011 2:54 a.m. EDT

Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry lost his right hand in Afghanistan tossing a grenade away from fellow soldiers.

(CNN) -- An Army Ranger who lost his right hand while tossing an enemy grenade away from fellow soldiers in Afghanistan will be awarded the Medal of Honor on Tuesday.

Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry will be the second living recipient of the Medal of Honor from the Iraq and Afghan wars, according to the U.S. military. President Barack Obama will present the award to Petry.

"It's very humbling to know that the guys thought that much of me and my actions that day, to nominate me for that," Petry said, according to an Army News Service report.

Petry is being awarded the medal for actions on May 26, 2008, in Paktia, Afghanistan.

Already wounded by a bullet that went through both his legs, Petry picked up an enemy grenade that landed near him and two fellow Rangers and threw it back toward the enemy, according to the Army News Service. The grenade detonated and amputated Petry's right hand. Petry applied a tourniquet to his wound and called for help.

"If not for Staff Sergeant Petry's actions, we would have been seriously wounded or killed," Sgt. Daniel Higgins, a fellow Ranger, wrote in a statement, according to the Army News Service.

Petry, now assigned to Fort Benning, Georgia, will be the ninth service member to be presented the Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan or Iraq. The other living recipient is Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta.

Petry, a father of four from Santa Fe, New Mexico, has served two tours of duty in Iraq and six in Afghanistan.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/12/medal.of.honor/index.html

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
Please tell me something NOT amazing about this guy?

- Shot through both legs
- Loses hand picking up and tossing a LIVE grenade
- Tourniquet's his OWN hand...THEN he calls for help.

I mean fuck.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
I think he may be squadmates with my neice's husband.
He's also a Ranger based in GA.
/CSB

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I am guessing there might be more to the story. Yes, the guy is bad ass and yes his actions were heroic, but with the facts from the official story? That usually doesn't get you a MoH. Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star? Definitely.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I am guessing there might be more to the story. Yes, the guy is bad ass and yes his actions were heroic, but with the facts from the official story? That usually doesn't get you a MoH. Distinguished Service Cross or Silver Star? Definitely.
Glad somebody else thought that too. Didn't really want to mention it for fear of coming off as disrespecting the guy. We went decades without giving out a MoH to an active duty military guy and now there's been two in the last year.

He's going to be on Jon Stewart Thursday BTW, see if he talks more about it.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
on the flip side, we need a few living heroes just because we aren't blasting germans and frying japs doesn't mean we are not in an awful useless war. the guy lost an arm and took a bullet after years of service in country. i think he deserves it.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
on the flip side, we need a few living heroes just because we aren't blasting germans and frying japs doesn't mean we are not in an awful useless war. the guy lost an arm and took a bullet after years of service in country. i think he deserves it.
I can see that and I am not taking anything away from him. There's a reason why the large majority of MoH winners are awarded them posthumously. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt though. For anyone that has worn the uniform of the United States, that medal is fucking sacred. I highly doubt his fellow Rangers would have nominated him if he didn't fully deserve it. I am just saying that there's got to be more to the story than what officially released.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
maybe he banged a few hookers in Haiti while he was at it ;)

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Glad somebody else thought that too. Didn't really want to mention it for fear of coming off as disrespecting the guy. We went decades without giving out a MoH to an active duty military guy and now there's been two in the last year.

He's going to be on Jon Stewart Thursday BTW, see if he talks more about it.
Might have been on a quick response mission for delta.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
- Shot through both legs
- Loses hand picking up and tossing a LIVE grenade
- Tourniquet's his OWN hand...THEN he calls for help.

I mean fuck.
He really got Munsoned.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Petry, has served two tours of duty in Iraq and six in Afghanistan.
he's basically been deployed since 9/11.

Can they make his hand look less deader

MoH? "whaa"
Guess he fits the profile of whatever senior officials were looking for.