Arnova by Archos 501732 10 Android Tablet

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I can get this tablet for $129 with a coupon.

Arnova by Archos 501732 10 Android Tablet - Android 2.1, 10.1" 1024 x 600 high-resolution touch-screen display, 4GB, 802.11 b/g WiFi, micro SDHC, USB 2.0, G-sensor, Front VGA camera

I can't find a site selling the thing that tells me exactly what processor is in the damn thing.

Is it too low powered to do any serious web surfing?

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7297803&CatId=6957

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Circuit City is still in business?

If all you're interested in is web surfing, then it's probably enough. However anything else will probably just give you a headache. I read on one review that Angry Birds ran very slow on it, which probably means most games and movies will give you problems. The fact that I couldn't find information on the processor is not a good sign.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Circuit City is still in business?
Tiger Direct bought their online business. If you compare the web pages they are identical other than the name at the top. They sell the same stuff with the same prices.

That Tablet sounds horrible. I've been pricing the 7 inch tablets and there are some that are lot more capable and only 15-20 dollars more.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Unless you actually know for a fact this is gonna do the things you want it to do, don't bother.

A lot of cheap devices tend to do do everything on that impressive list of functions poorly, annoyingly, in horrid quality and sometimes not at all. Things that might go wrong for you are: shitty screen; horrible video and sound recording (this is pretty much guaranteed actually); terrible, annoying touch screen that's gonna drive you mad; problems playing back most video you take for granted these days (you should definitely find out if Flash works on it at all, for instance; it might not).

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I've always had the mentality that if you're going to spend money, buy the right product that's going to make it worthwhile. Asus is selling its Transformer Android 10" tablet at cost (MSRP $399, seen it for even less), because they plan on making the money on the associated keyboard/dock (around $140 I think)... but if you don't want the dock, $400 for a 10" dual-core processor, 16GB tablet is pretty damn good.

I've come very close to buying it, but just can't justify purchasing a tablet beyond the cool factor. The Transformer 2 is coming out in a couple of months with a quad-core processor, and I think the price is going to be relatively similar... and it is almost sure to make the original Transformer drop in price.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
It only runs 2.1 so no Flash support. The processor is a paltry 600mhz Rockchip RK2818 so it'll be laggy as shit. Better off with a cheapo $79 one off Ebay. And Archos sucks. You can get a no-name Chinese tablet off of Ebay that runs Froyo and has Flash 10.1 for less than $150. Remember, a lot of the cooler apps like Netflix and Hulu require 10.3 I think so be sure it can be upgraded.

Go over to Androidtablets.net or Slatedroid and check the forums there for recommendations and see which ones have been rooted. Their sponsors have plenty of decent ones under $200. You could probably pick up a pretty decent one for $129 in their classified section that's been rooted and customized by someone looking to upgrade to a more expensive one.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'll just second or third the "stay away from Archos" theme going on here.