Artemis by Andy Weir 11-14-17

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
The reviews have me a little worried, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
If I gave Armada a shot, I can give this a shot too.

At the very least, if he fails miserably and just doubles down what the did in his first novel, it'll just be potato maths.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Artemis is out! The audiobook is read by Rosario Dawson, the third person on the evolutionary chart.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I thought The Martian wasn't very good so this dickbag has nowhere to go but up. Naming your protagonist Jazz ain't helping the cause however.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Rosario Dawson's reading has to be much slower than a normal person, right? I mean, there's no way she has the physical strength to move that giant mouth at the same speed as you and me.

I'm gonna give it a listen tonight/tomorrow.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
Rosario Dawson's reading has to be much slower than a normal person, right? I mean, there's no way she has the physical strength to move that giant mouth at the same speed as you and me.

I'm gonna give it a listen tonight/tomorrow.
Let me know how it is or whatever.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Super early into it, but I'm not loving it so far.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
My main issue thus far is Jazz. She's essentially Mark Watney--who is essentially Andy Weir, which is fine--except amplified. The whole "I'm gonna science the shit out of this!" is turned to eleven, and it seems a bit forced. Also, it's pretty ham-handed politically, but that's not a major issue for me. Again, I'm super early into it, so hopefully it'll pick up once I get into the moon heist section.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
First part of the Martian I recall thinking it was going to blow but it turned for the better. Perhaps this will as well. I have a feeling it won't.

Falldog

Donator
Starting this tonight. Going in with low expectations.

Falldog

Donator
Not bad so far.

Kenya Space Agency or whatever, was that also in the Mars book? Was it in another novel/book? It seems oddly familiar.

Falldog

Donator
I'm thinking Old Man's War?
Nah.

Maybe I'm thinking of that game where you can build rockets.

Anyhow, I'm a third of the way through. Mostly it's pretty good, a lot like the Mars book, but I haven't been hit over the head with science like I was afraid Weir was going to resort to. The main character makes for an easy read, even if she is pretty generic. World building is great, I'd love for a drop to let me know it's in the same universe as his prior novel. The emails(?) between her and the person on Earth are pretty douche chilly at times though.

Falldog

Donator
This is more Pattern Recognition than The Martian.

Also, fuck Cline for forever fucking up pop culture references.

Falldog

Donator
Finished. Not a bad sophomore followup.

Throughly done with snarky protagonists though.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
So far it's like the Martian but without whatever that quality was that made the Martian good.