As of right now... no Final Fantasy 7 remake

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
FFVII Not Being Remade -- Nomura

June 4, 2007 - A Square Enix power player has issued the most direct denial yet of a Final Fantasy VII remake. Speaking with Japan's monthly Dorimaga gaming publication, character designer Tetsuya Nomura said, "It appears that there are often overseas rumors like 'Are you currently developing a VII remake?' My apologies, but we're absolutely not making [such a game]."

But, as usual, all isn't necessarily lost. Yoshinori Kitase, overall director of the FFVII series, followed up with, "However, when we ask the staff who are making FFXIII why they entered the company, there are many people who say, 'I'm an FFVII fan, I also want to do a remake.'" To this, Nomura added, "We of course know ourselves what the fans want so we'd like to continue thinking up a variety of things. As long as there are people who want to make it and people who are waiting for it, we don't want to proclaim 'the end.'"

Outside of these comments, the two shared a few interesting insights into the development of what is arguably the most renown Final Fantasy game to date.

Nomura recalled the creation of the game's plot, which was originally written by Hironobu Sakaguchi, now of Mistwalker. Nomura, who claims to still have a copy of the plot, noted how "completely different" it is from the final version. "I think he wanted to do something like a detective story? There was a character called Hot Blooded Detective Joe."

The Midgar city was already in place at this point. The early part of the story that was written by Sakaguchi involved Detective Joe chasing after the main characters, who then blow up the city.

Obviously, the story changed some once Nomura and Kitase got involved. While Nomura went off into the character design and visual work following some initial changes to Sakaguchi's plot, Kitase and Kazushige Nojima came up with the sections on Avalanche and Shinra, Cloud's background story, and the relationship between Cloud and Sephiroth. Sakaguchi came up with the specifics on the Life Stream in his original plot, but this also saw some work by Kitase and crew before finally being placed in the game.

With Nomura's strong denial in this interview, all those hoping for an FFVII remake to close off the series' 10th anniversary in style this year appear to be out of luck. Of course, there's no law against flat out lying to magazines that include pullout posters of big-busted anime chicks in every issue, so keep the candles lit.
So no definite say as to if this will ever happen but it WON'T happen for the 10th anniversary of the game

MrQuotes

Feelin' Fine
fucking good
start moving forward already... square-enix are annoying me with all the damn spinoffs

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
fucking good
start moving forward already... square-enix are annoying me with all the damn spinoffs
welllllll there still might be a spinoff... like dirge of cerberus or advent children movie.

This was concerning a "Remake" on the Next Gen consoles

Monstercloud

If they did do a remake, it would be until they bled out every possible spinoff of the FF7 world. In 2010, you're more likely to see "Advanced Crisis Core" than a remake of FF7.

God damn i hate the Square-Enix days. Square is Gallant, and Enix is a cunt.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
If they did do a remake, it would be until they bled out every possible spinoff of the FF7 world. In 2010, you're more likely to see "Advanced Crisis Core" than a remake of FF7.

God damn i hate the Square-Enix days. Square is Gallant, and Enix is a cunt.
Personally the only way i see this happening anytime soon is if FF13 tanks and sells so bad they (SE) is facing bankruptcy... then they would have to hype up the only game that could save their ass from financial ruin.

And we all know no matter how many old school fans start to hate FF there will always be new ones to take their place... I dont think they've had a failure sales wise in a very very long time (maybe crystal chronicals for cube)

L

Leticia

I say they make a Chrono Trigger remake.

Monstercloud

And we all know no matter how many old school fans start to hate FF there will always be new ones to take their place... I dont think they've had a failure sales wise in a very very long time (maybe crystal chronicals for cube)
And that's probably why SE doesn't give a shit about the old fans. Yeah, the old FF games on portable systems is real cute... It'd be nice though, if there was a complete overhaul of the games so we could enjoy them today.. would you enjoy a Next-gen FF6 Remake? I know i sure would.

I had to hop off the FF Bandwagon at 12... not because 12 was bad, but after so many FF games.. it almost seems that it's too easy just go come up with a "New world" and slap the same "OMGZ HUGE BADDY THREATENZ THE WORLD YO!" Scenario..

How about this... an FF that already starts out in shit... i don't mean politically dominated, or small scale shit (A la Midgar).. I mean you take one wrong turn, and you get your ass fucked through your throat. This "Despite what's going around them, people are happily living their lives.. when suddenly.." shit is annoying me.

I say they make a Chrono Trigger remake.
Some one tried too... but Square-Enix is an asshole...

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
as much as i'd like a remake, good, they need to focus on making good FFs again, by their own standards 12, 11(even though i play 11) and 10-2 were shit. all these 13's better be legendary

taban

i wanted a remake, sort of, so that maybe i could make a second attempt on getting into the game if they improved it and it happened to fit my interests.. thats alright though. theyve already milked that shit game enough as it is. onto the next!

Remember back in the day when you could expect a traditional Final Fantasy every two years or so? Yeah those times are gone.
It would have been nice if they added some kind of story to FF12, if I wanted to play a MMORPG with no story I would upgrade my computer. That said, the gameplay itself in 12 was good, it just bored the fuck out of me at the end.

The Final Fantasy IV remake for DS looks awesome, I love Final Fantasy IV, such a classic game, I think I will play through it again.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
it's ever remade, hopefully we can get even more blatant black stereotyping for ol' barrett.

Chlorofirm

Remember back in the day when you could expect a traditional Final Fantasy every two years or so? Yeah those times are gone.
It would have been nice if they added some kind of story to FF12, if I wanted to play a MMORPG with no story I would upgrade my computer. That said, the gameplay itself in 12 was good, it just bored the fuck out of me at the end.
I agree, it probably had the worst story of all the FFs I played (7-10, 12).

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
And they're not making 13 for the 360 either. Both things were confirmed.