Ashton Kutcher’s Ad Pulled After Racism Outcry

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Ashton Kutcher’s Popchips Ad Pulled After Racism Outcry

Perhaps brownface and offensive accents aren’t the best way to sell potato chips. Earlier today, an advertisement for Popchips starring Ashton Kutcher as an “Indian” man looking for love was taken down following an online outcry. While Popchips appears to have removed the ad from their Facebook page and YouTube channel, unofficial versions can still be seen.
In the ad, the “Two and a Half Men” star plays a Bollywood producer named Raj. He talks about his dating virtues in a sing-song accent with his face painted brown. Popchips, a potato chip snack, are not mentioned at any point. Three related ads feature Kutcher playing a diva, a hippie, and a biker.
Indian-Americans quickly bashed the ad and Kutcher, who serves as the brand’s “president of pop culture” and developed the $1.5 million ad campaign with Popchips’ CEO, the ad agency Zambezi, and Alison Brod PR.
On his blog, tech entrepreneur Anil Dash called the ad “a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he’s doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice. That’s it, there’s seriously no other gag.”
He added, “if you find yourself putting brown makeup on a white person in 2012 so they can do a bad ‘funny’ accent in order to sell potato chips, you are on the wrong course. Make some different decisions.”
The indie hip-hop band Das Racist called out to Kutcher’s Twitter handle: “Hey @aplusk, what’s with the racist brownface video you talentless, pretending to care about sex trafficking piece of s**t?”
Dash later blogged that Popchips CEO Keith Belling offered him a “sincere and contrite” apology over the phone.
As for an official response to the outcry, a Popchips representative told ABCNews.com, “The new popchips worldwide dating parody featuring four characters was created to provoke a few laughs and was never intended to stereotype or offend anyone. At popchips we embrace all types of shapes, flavors and colors, and appreciate all snackers, no matter their race or ethnicity. We hope people can enjoy this in the spirit it was intended.”
Belling also apologized on the company’s blog, writing “i take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended.”
Kutcher has yet to tweet about or otherwise comment on the controversy.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...chers-popchips-ad-pulled-after-racist-outcry/

[YT]lVE81Jxp9dU[/YT]

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Outrageous, I hope they fire him from that Charlie Sheen show. CBS shouldn't support this kind of hate.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
You would never know it via the local ABC affiliates Facebook page. I'd say 95% of the people thought the outrage was bullshit.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Popchips should come out with a cow blood flavor to teach the 10-headed rat-riding-elephant-god worshippers a lesson.

Wasn't the show Outsourced a tad more offensive? (to both comedy and the slumdog millionaires)

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Popchips should come out with a cow blood flavor to teach the 10-headed rat-riding-elephant-god worshippers a lesson.

Wasn't the show Outsourced a tad more offensive? (to both comedy and the slumdog millionaires)
I also thought the lead guy in Outsourced was racist to white people.

Anyone ever see The Love Guru

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
tech entrepreneur Anil Dash
tsss, more like Anal Douche or sumtin tsss

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
You would never know it via the local ABC affiliates Facebook page. I'd say 95% of the people thought the outrage was bullshit.
Only because Indians don't have a Al Sharpton or a Jesse Jackson to drum up fake outrage.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Only because Indians don't have a Al Sharpton or a Jesse Jackson to drum up fake outrage.
Then how did this get out/pulled?

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Where headed to a time when if a kid puts on a cowboy Halloween costume ranchers are going to cry about it, they'll even protest the name of the NFL team from Dallas, TX. Movies like The Searchers and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly will taken off the shelves and no longer shown in theaters or on TV

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
but Indian stereotypes are funny.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Where headed to a time when if a kid puts on a cowboy Halloween costume ranchers are going to cry about it, they'll even protest the name of the NFL team from Dallas, TX. Movies like The Searchers and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly will taken off the shelves and no longer shown in theaters or on TV
No we aren't, because ranchers are actual men who can overlook trivial things.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Got douche chills watching the video. Man that's unfunny. Ashton Kutcher is awful.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Ashton Kutcher’s Popchips Ad Pulled After Racism Outcry

Perhaps brownface and offensive accents aren’t the best way to sell potato chips. Earlier today, an advertisement for Popchips starring Ashton Kutcher as an “Indian” man looking for love was taken down following an online outcry. While Popchips appears to have removed the ad from their Facebook page and YouTube channel, unofficial versions can still be seen.
In the ad, the “Two and a Half Men” star plays a Bollywood producer named Raj. He talks about his dating virtues in a sing-song accent with his face painted brown. Popchips, a potato chip snack, are not mentioned at any point. Three related ads feature Kutcher playing a diva, a hippie, and a biker.
Indian-Americans quickly bashed the ad and Kutcher, who serves as the brand’s “president of pop culture” and developed the $1.5 million ad campaign with Popchips’ CEO, the ad agency Zambezi, and Alison Brod PR.
On his blog, tech entrepreneur Anil Dash called the ad “a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he’s doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice. That’s it, there’s seriously no other gag.”
He added, “if you find yourself putting brown makeup on a white person in 2012 so they can do a bad ‘funny’ accent in order to sell potato chips, you are on the wrong course. Make some different decisions.”

I agree with this guy 100% actually. What he said was right.

The indie hip-hop band Das Racist called out to Kutcher’s Twitter handle: “Hey @aplusk, what’s with the racist brownface video you talentless, pretending to care about sex trafficking piece of s**t?”
Dash later blogged that Popchips CEO Keith Belling offered him a “sincere and contrite” apology over the phone.
As for an official response to the outcry, a Popchips representative told ABCNews.com, “The new popchips worldwide dating parody featuring four characters was created to provoke a few laughs and was never intended to stereotype or offend anyone. At popchips we embrace all types of shapes, flavors and colors, and appreciate all snackers, no matter their race or ethnicity. We hope people can enjoy this in the spirit it was intended.”
Belling also apologized on the company’s blog, writing “i take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended.”
Kutcher has yet to tweet about or otherwise comment on the controversy.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...chers-popchips-ad-pulled-after-racist-outcry/

[YT]lVE81Jxp9dU[/YT]
I agree with this being unfunny as hell and just a shitty ad campaign but it isn't racist or offensive. I don't get how people can even fake claim to be offended by stuff like this.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I thought it was a little funny.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
My brother works in the snack/bev distributing business and his company was one of the first to start selling Popchips in San Diego, he's actually a small investor in the company. They're loving this. No such thing as bad publicity.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
My brother works in the snack/bev distributing business and his company was one of the first to start selling Popchips in San Diego, he's actually a small investor in the company. They're loving this. No such thing as bad publicity.
Ooh, big man with his fancy chips. Big deal, I don't have a job. Can't get more successful than that.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Ooh, big man with his fancy chips. Big deal, I don't have a job. Can't get more successful than that.
He also got in early on Vitamin Water and made a small fortune when Coke bought them out. :action-sm

I don't understand why this is offensive when Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder isn't.
If I remember right, Ben Stiller did an advanced screening with the NAACP to get their take on it, and then the tards came out and pretty much overshadowed any other protests that could have gotten any traction.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
He also got in early on Vitamin Water and made a small fortune when Coke bought them out. :action-sm

I don't understand why this is offensive when Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder isn't.
If I remember right, Ben Stiller did an advanced screening with the NAACP to get their take on it, and then the tards came out and pretty much overshadowed any other protests that could have gotten any traction.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think another reason why it worked in Tropic Thunder was because they were upfront about it and made it make logical sense for the movie. It wasn't simply Robert Downey Jr. in blackface where as this is just Ashton being dibble dabble. Were there protests for The Love Guru? You know, other than from audience members.

Seriously, The Love Guru is a horrible movie.