Asiana 214 Flight Crew names on news

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
My kid told me about that earlier.

That's fucking hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Nobody figured that out before it aired? :asshat:

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Both a San Francisco TV station and the National Transportation Safety Board apologized for their roles in the broadcast Friday of fake, racially insensitive names of the pilots flying the ill-fated Asiana Airlines Flight 214.
The segment on Friday at noon that referred to two of the pilots as "Captain Sum Ting Wong," and "Wi Tu Lo," has gone viral and drawn heavy criticism on the Internet.
In a statement read on KTVU-TV Friday night, anchor Frank Summerville said the station made several mistakes.
Summerville did not say how exactly the station got the names.
But "we never read the names out loud, phonetically sounding them out," he said.
Late Friday, the NTSB acknowledged that a summer intern confirmed the names to KTVU when a reporter from the station called about them.
"Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the NTSB said in a statement.
"The NTSB does not release or confirm the names of crew members or people involved in transportation accidents to the media. We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident. Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated," the statement added.
Summerville said the station didn't properly verify who at the NTSB was confirming the names.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...t-racist-pilot-names-20130712,0,5372814.story

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
someone wanted to get the first story on the air

I am surprised that uncle paul or ted sheckler was not involved

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
Finally, a YouTube comment that's not inaccurate

VicVinegar

Oct 5, 2012
There are few things I enjoy more than seeing stupid news anchors/outlets like this get what they deserve for not fact checking anything and trying to be "First!".

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Just to note: I got an email from my cousin (also Chinese, obviously) that had a bunch of "funny" names for Asiana crew members.

It's not racist if we're laughing at it, too. Do you really think Asians don't make fun of the way round-eyes talk?

SallieTomato

Here'sh The Thing
Jul 25, 2012
SOL.3
I was made so upset, I felt I had to consult my parish priest, Neil Downe.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I was made so upset, I felt I had to consult my parish priest, Neil Downe.
Die. Not in the hacky way Norton wishes it upon people nonchalantly, I want you to physically die and the sooner the better.