Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
How do you handle this one?
Astronaut’s Mother Is Killed by Freight Train

By WARREN E. LEARY
Published: December 20, 2007
WASHINGTON — The mother of a veteran NASA astronaut who is now on board the International Space Station died Wednesday when her car was struck by a freight train in a Chicago suburb, the police said.

Rose Tani, 90, the mother of the astronaut Daniel M. Tani, was pronounced dead at a Lombard, Ill., hospital after the accident, the police said in a statement.

Johnson Space Center in Houston had no immediate comment on when and how Mr. Tani had been informed of the death.

Mr. Tani, 46, arrived at the space station on Oct. 25 aboard the shuttle Discovery for a two-month tour. But the stay has been extended because of problems launching another shuttle.

The shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to bring Mr. Tani home, but will take off no earlier than Jan. 10 while the National Aeronautics and Space Administration works on problems with fuel tank sensors.

Chief Raymond Byrne of the Lombard police said in a statement that the accident occurred when Mrs. Tani apparently became impatient while stopped behind a school bus at a railroad crossing. She honked her horn, went around the school bus and bypassed the lowered crossing gate, Chief Byrne said.
It seems she disobeyed laws that are put in place for our own safety, and got what was coming to her. But the fact that her lil' boy is a few hundred thousand miles away, in the vertical, at the moment makes it a bit unusual. It's not like they can put together some type of emergency mission to get him home for the funeral. I guess they'll have probably have some kind of video feed set up so that the guy isn't left completely out of the loop in this situation.

That'll learn her to pass a school bus.:clap::clap:

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
Mother killed by train = unlucky lottery

...while you're in space = sucks to be you

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
At ninety, how much longer did she really have left on this planet?

Ego

Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Definitely not so little time that she couldn't have just waited behind the bus like a decent law-abiding person.

I hope somebody recorded it. Even on a cell phone cam.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I had a cousin killed almost the same way.

Crossing a railroad track while the guardrail is down is so stupid it's Darwinism in action. How retarded do you have to be to drive a car in front of a moving object that if it clips you, it will most likely kill you? It's not exactly the most demanding decision.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Mother killed by train = unlucky lottery

...while you're in space = sucks to be you
No unlucky lottery here - she drove around a stopped vehicle and through a gate.

Anyway - he could have at least looked down and warned her the train was coming. :action-sm

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I heard somewhere, most likely on the Discovery Channel, that when astronauts go on extended missions they tell NASA if they want to be informed of family tragedy like this.

Ego

Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
No unlucky lottery here - she drove around a stopped vehicle and through a gate.

Anyway - he could have at least looked down and warned her the train was coming. :action-sm
The unlucky lottery or sucks to be you part could come into play because of where her son is at the moment. Imagine if he is an only child, and her only living relative.

I heard somewhere, most likely on the Discovery Channel, that when astronauts go on extended missions they tell NASA if they want to be informed of family tragedy like this.
They have to have some sort of internet access even all the way up there. I dare say it would be impossible for them to not find out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
90 and driving? that train did someone's insurance company a favor

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
They have to have some sort of internet access even all the way up there. I dare say it would be impossible for them to not find out.
If I'm not mistaken, Internet feeds over government servers are filtered or censored. NASA controls what goes up. Soldiers overseas don't always get what they want.

With that said, he might find out about it through a blog or some other source.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
If I'm not mistaken, Internet feeds over government servers are filtered or censored. NASA controls what goes up. Soldiers overseas don't always get what they want.

Wouldn't NASA just communicate the news via whatever means NASA uses to communicate with those on the space station?

Ego

Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Do you think he's mad at the world right now? Wokka wokka.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La

I'm almost positive they don't have net access up there. Mainly because they have other important things they need to be doing and having networked computers just complicates things.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Wouldn't NASA just communicate the news via whatever means NASA uses to communicate with those on the space station?
They talked about this on the news, the astronauts are actually asked if they want to be informed of family tragedies. Worked ok in years past when the internets wasn't available, but in this day & age they will usually find out anyway through email or doing the Google.

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California

Unlucky for the son, for having such a cunty mom. :action-sm

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Was this the lady O+A talked about years ago when the son was stuck in the shuttle having trouble and they were talking "as" her talking about how the boy should have been a doctor.