Astronomers Discover 'Orphan' Planet With No Sun

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Astronomers Discover 'Orphan' Planet With No Sun
October 10, 2013 / 9 Comments

Seen here looking suspiciously like the entrance to a wormhole, astronomers using the Pan-STARRS 1 wide-field survey telescope in Maui, Hawaii, have discovered a gas giant planet 80-light years from earth that doesn't orbit a star. It's just out there floating all alone in the dark, probably cold and scared. *bundles planet up in blanket* There, there, planet -- we'll find you a good home.

Planets traditionally travel in a uniform, singular direction, around a star. However, the free-floating planet, named PSO J318.5-22, has been found without a host.

PSO J318.5-22 was detected 80 lightyears away from Earth and it is estimated to have a mass six times that of Jupiter.

Astronomers believe it formed 12 million years ago, and is considered a newborn in planetary terms - Earth is thought to be around 4.5 billion years old.

'We have never before seen an object free-floating in space that that looks like this.

'It has all the characteristics of young planets found around other stars, but it is drifting out there all alone'

So -- you think this planet ran away from home? That's my guess. I bet this guy was in a solar system with a bunch of other brother and sister planets but they always picked on him for being so gassy so he packed up his moons and hit the road. He probably thought he'd settle in a new solar system, not knowing space is mostly just vast expanses of f***ing nothing. You goofed, bro (but I will let you stay on my couch until you can get back on your feet).

Thanks to nic1141 and Lydia, who both agreed if they were planets they would be rogue planets too because they aren't gonna live their lives by some sun's rules.
http://geekologie.com/2013/10/astronomers-discover-orphan-planet-with.php

May 30, 2013
Tomorrow, tomorrow, there'll be a sun tomorrow!

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
It's either a Death Star or a Dyson's Sphere.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Camouflaged as a gas giant.

That would be cool.
Due to the size a Dyson Sphere would have to be to be habitable, it would have a good external gravitational pull, so it should be able to draw in a gaseous exteranl atmosphere. In my opinion, a Dyson Sphere would look for all intents and purposes like a gas based planet.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Dec 12, 2007
Are Will Smith and Jay-Z going to remake the planet black?

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The problem with a Dyson Sphere theory is that it would literally have to block 100% of the output of the sun it is surrounding or we'd be able to detect the spillage.
Our new overlords have obviously figured out how to harness 100% of that star's output.

Hail to them!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It would still need to be a relatively small sun for the proportions to work out. A Dyson Sphere would have to have a radius many many times that of the sun it surrounds so it can be at enough of a distance to prevent everything from melting.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
I think there are tons of these, it is just hard to see/find them. Two planets in orbit too close to each other is my guess. They tug on each other and over time, one gets thrown out of orbit.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
It would still need to be a relatively small sun for the proportions to work out. A Dyson Sphere would have to have a radius many many times that of the sun it surrounds so it can be at enough of a distance to prevent everything from melting.
Relatively, lol you could say that. Smallest known star:

Artificial micro-star?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Relatively, lol you could say that. Smallest known star:

Artificial micro-star?
Either that or 99% of it won't be used for habitation, but will just be the powerplant infrastructure (solar panels). Still, it's hard for me to comprehend how we would even use that much energy. If there was some way to efficiently store it to power ships, maybe, but it can't. Maybe if we were using some kind of black hole or wormhole technology we would require power on that magnitude, but otherwise? I dunno. It's an interesting thing to ponder like Van Neumann Machines (machines that can build copies of themselves).

May 30, 2013
Either that or 99% of it won't be used for habitation, but will just be the powerplant infrastructure (solar panels). Still, it's hard for me to comprehend how we would even use that much energy. If there was some way to efficiently store it to power ships, maybe, but it can't. Maybe if we were using some kind of black hole or wormhole technology we would require power on that magnitude, but otherwise? I dunno. It's an interesting thing to ponder like Van Neumann Machines (machines that can build copies of themselves).
As a mathematics student I have to correct you, they're Von Neumann Machines. Sorry for being Stuart Stickler.