Asylum's Renaming Insults Advocates

Stalker2

Jun 7, 2001
TRueWDTer

Asylum's renaming insults advocates
By VICKI SMITH, Associated Press Writer Fri Mar 21, 10:21 AM ET

WESTON, W.Va. - It's an intriguing and provocative name that translates to Web hits, phone calls and tour tickets: the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.
To some, the title acknowledges history by readopting one of the many names previously held by the long-vacant, 19th century mental institution known most recently as Weston Hospital.
But others say the new owners of the massive Gothic Revival hospital have gone too far, disparaging the suffering of former patients and reopening wounds with planned events like "Psyco Path" dirt bike races on the grounds.
They say words like "lunatic" and "retarded" have gone the way of "colored" and "Negro" and should never be resurrected.
"It's like turning back the clock to a time we don't want to go back to," said Ann McDaniel, executive director of the Statewide Independent Living Council, one of several mental health advocacy groups to object. "I think they could still do what they want to do without being offensive."

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080321/ap_on_re_us/lunatic_asylum;_ylt=AlbmDRf7rWRcRuOb1Eb2M41I2ocA

Nov 29, 2006
FL
They say words like "lunatic" and "retarded" have gone the way of "colored" and "Negro" and should never be resurrected.
They are wrong. These words are alive and well. I recently heard three of them uttered in a single sentence.

blackjacklily

The Black Cobra of WDT
May 16, 2007
PA
I think it's great. I especially love the "Psycho Path" dirt bike races idea.

Society is turning into a bunch of whiny, PC, pussies.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Scott Miller, director of Mountain State Direct Action Center, said one former patient burst into tears after seeing the name on a sign.

"It's not just that I'm a liberal and I think it's not a good idea; it's seeing people physically hurt," he said. "That's about all I needed to know."
Now I've heard everything. Can somebody let this fucking idiot know that hurt feelings aren't the same as physical pain?

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Although I'm not an expert,I really can't see either lunatics or retards being offended.
Sorry,I forgot. If somebody is offended for you,even if you're not,it sufficient grounds.

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
I think it's great. I especially love the "Psycho Path" dirt bike races idea.

Society is turning into a bunch of whiny, PC, pussies.
Agreed on both counts, however, your second statement is slightly flawed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it already has turned into that - it's simply getting worse by the day.

There is no help for the PC faggots, and unfortunately they too are contagious. :(

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Rebecca Jordan, whose family owns the 307-acre complex, sees things differently.

"This part of history is vital, and you cannot bury what you don't like," she said. "Should we take down the Holocaust museum? Should we completely deny all that happened because it's not favorable? Because it might hurt a few feelings?"
This chick gets it. God Bless her.

Wonder if she's hot...

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
But the term "lunatic asylum" fits the entire idea of ye olde gothic mental hospital. This is ridiculous. These are probably the same people who complained about the straitjacketed bunny years back.

Scott Miller, director of Mountain State Direct Action Center, said one former patient burst into tears after seeing the name on a sign.
So the person who saw the words "Lunatic Asylum" and burst into tears was a former patient?

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
For Halloween they should hand out out tasers and call it Trick or Treat Yourselves.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Now I've heard everything. Can somebody let this fucking idiot know that hurt feelings aren't the same as physical pain?

but, but, but, words hurt:(

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
So the person who saw the words "Lunatic Asylum" and burst into tears was a former patient?
Someone needs to speak with this woman's shrink and get her back into therapy.

Speaking as someone who did 2 months in a loony bin within a 3 year period .... I must admit that I don't like the idea of the Lunatic Asylum.

I LOVE IT!!

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Weston is one creepy fucking place. I'm all for calling it the lunatic asylum. That's what it was.