At what point does a sports rivalry die?

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
I'm a big college football guy, so my examples are going to be CFB-heavy, but when does a rivalry become so one-sided that it's not really a rivalry any more?

I mean, before 2004, I'd say the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry wasn't really a rivalry. Yankees fans just kind of tolerated and laughed at Sox fans. When only one side really has a burning passion, that's not really a rivalry, that's just hatred. Since then, of course, it's become a bit more two-sided.

With Ohio State-Michigan, the John Cooper years at Ohio State were clearly Michigan-ascendant, and the Tressel years have been tOSU-ascendant. That's a rivalry with long runs in favor of one team or the other.

But I'd say ND-Army (or -Navy) is a pretty dead "rivalry". Yeah, they play each other every year, but it's not like Army is putting up any kind of a fight, you know? I don't know if Army even gets up for that game any more, really. It's just a scheduled butt-whuppin'.

At what point is a rivalry just, you know, dead? That you just don't care about the other guy?

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
You said it yourself V, when one team just knocks the fuck out of the other basically its over. Army v Navy is a perfect example of that.

Army hasn't been any good lately, usually putting up 10 + loss seasons, and they won't be getting any better. Navy usually is a bit more competetive and makes bowl games and usually waxes Army all the time.

In pro sports rivalries usually don't last long because teams get down trodden and sometimes you get non historic but temporary rivalries that are only as good as the teams in the period they meet such as:

Patriots vs Colts, past champions usually recently always playing for the AFC title or the Super Bowl, thats competetive and will die out as soon as either team is back out of it and down. I'm sure if the Pats are down and the Colts are down nobody will make anything of it and the past animosity isn't there.

Raiders vs Chiefs is a good old rivalry but its non existent now that Oakland sucks ass and gets throttled every year, but it can always come back if and when both teams are competetive.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the Traditional rivalries rooted with history die down but never out. in these either of both teams can suck for a while but if and when they come back strong and play for a playoff or a title is on!

Boston vs NYY is one, Oakland Raiders vs KC,

Dallas Cowboys vs Wash/NYG/Philadelphia/SF 49ers

You also have some geographic rivalries that won't die either because its battle for bragging rights in the state, like Michigan v Michigan State, Texas vs Texas A&M, Carolina vs Duke

then you have some fantasies where one team is a rivalry for everyone else even if we're no good.

for Tar and myself ND vs everyone else :icon_mrgr

izzy izkowitz

Chris Hansen is my hero
May 23, 2007
the rivalry between the voices in my head went away when I took prozac.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
the best rivalries are all college related. thats where the true passion comes from in sports. you can be 75yrs old and played college and pro ball and i guarantee you have more feelings for your college team than any pro team.

free agency has really killed pro rivalries. except for Yanks/Sox. so many players are just highly paid mercenaries jumping from team to team. College is where you will find any good rivalry.

It takes a while for a college rivalry to die. One team just has to be destroyed for 20 years for a rivalry to just die.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
the best rivalries are all college related. thats where the true passion comes from in sports. you can be 75yrs old and played college and pro ball and i guarantee you have more feelings for your college team than any pro team.

free agency has really killed pro rivalries. except for Yanks/Sox. so many players are just highly paid mercenaries jumping from team to team. College is where you will find any good rivalry.

It takes a while for a college rivalry to die. One team just has to be destroyed for 20 years for a rivalry to just die.
I beg to differ. The Steeler/Browns Rivalry is one of the best in the pro's.

133 miles apart. Fans can't get enough jawing @ each other. The record is almost equal head to head:

Steelers: 55 wins (2 additional playoff wins)
Browns: 49 Wins

Army/Navy still is big due to the nature of the military, I guess.

Auburn/Alabama is also a very good one.

As far as dead...........hmmmmmmmmm "whaa"

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
the best rivalries are all college related.
I agree. There are some good pro rivalries but nothing compares to college sports, and specifically football for rivalries.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
To answer the question, I don't think they ever die unless they change leagues or divisions.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Rutgers vs Princeton Football.....pretty much ended right after Rutgers left the Ivys

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005

133 miles apart. Fans can't get enough jawing @ each other. The record is almost equal head to head:

Army/Navy still is big due to the nature of the military, I guess.

Auburn/Alabama is also a very good one.

As far as dead...........hmmmmmmmmm "whaa"
I just dont think you get the passion out of as many fans for pro games as you do college. I am more biased because i live in a college town. It is hard as hell to get tickets to good Hogs football game here. If the razorbacks are playing Bama/Tennesee/Florida/Texas/Auburn its insane here. There are more teams for college teams to have great rivalries for.

I have never lived in a town with a pro team, but in Tulsa in the late 90's early 00's the Jenks/Union Highshcool football games would have 35,000-40,000 people in attendance. That is one of those rivalries that is like attending a college game.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
"I mean, before 2004, I'd say the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry wasn't really a rivalry. Yankees fans just kind of tolerated and laughed at Sox fans. When only one side really has a burning passion, that's not really a rivalry, that's just hatred. Since then, of course, it's become a bit more two-sided."

You obviously have no idea what the sox/yanks go through every year. Sox/Yanks is the longest, biggest and most active rivalry in american sports period. How could any1 even say its not since 2004? Thats gotta be one of the most uneducated statemtns i have seen in this site for awhile. Lets see....

Since shipping Babe Ruth to the Big Apple, the Sawks have lost a Game Seven in the World Series, lost the flag in a playoff in 1948 and 1978. The Sox lost game 7 of the World Series four times since selling Ruth: 1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986.

There have been a dozen years of Boston runner-up finishes to Bronx Bombers - 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1949,1977, 1978, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002. The second place blues have frustrated Red Sox Nation and further stoked the coals of the Boston-New York rivalry.

During a time of Yankee glory from 1919-1945, the Red Sox never placed first in the eight-team American League, finishing an average of thirty games behind in the standings. They came in last nine times, and had five 100-plus-loss seasons.

Just to name a few old refernces. Not to mention Clemens, Boggs, The Dimaggio brothers (yes dom was better than Joe) and lets not forget the Pedro days....This country didnt even have half the colleges you mentioned at the time of 1918. Read up on it. Its alot more in depth than you think.

I think the army vs navy type games where huge at one time. But those days are long gone.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
"I mean, before 2004, I'd say the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry wasn't really a rivalry. Yankees fans just kind of tolerated and laughed at Sox fans. When only one side really has a burning passion, that's not really a rivalry, that's just hatred. Since then, of course, it's become a bit more two-sided."

You obviously have no idea what the sox/yanks go through every year. Sox/Yanks is the longest, biggest and most active rivalry in american sports period. How could any1 even say its not since 2004? Thats gotta be one of the most uneducated statemtns i have seen in this site for awhile. Lets see....

Since shipping Babe Ruth to the Big Apple, the Sawks have lost a Game Seven in the World Series, lost the flag in a playoff in 1948 and 1978. The Sox lost game 7 of the World Series four times since selling Ruth: 1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986.

There have been a dozen years of Boston runner-up finishes to Bronx Bombers - 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1949,1977, 1978, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002. The second place blues have frustrated Red Sox Nation and further stoked the coals of the Boston-New York rivalry.

During a time of Yankee glory from 1919-1945, the Red Sox never placed first in the eight-team American League, finishing an average of thirty games behind in the standings. They came in last nine times, and had five 100-plus-loss seasons.

Just to name a few old refernces. Not to mention Clemens, Boggs, The Dimaggio brothers (yes dom was better than Joe) and lets not forget the Pedro days....This country didnt even have half the colleges you mentioned at the time of 1918. Read up on it. Its alot more in depth than you think.

I think the army vs navy type games where huge at one time. But those days are long gone.

Salem is right. The fucking Yanks vs Boston is like Israel and Palestine, that shit is just a thing of its own and your born into that. :icon_mrgr

Thats why anybody outside of Boston/New England and New York don't get it. I mean I have people down here in Texas looking at me like "wtf? baseball?" when I plan an entire fucking weekend or days around NYY vs Boston Red Sox.

Weakside was also right about a rivalry dying when they change leagues and shit, look at the old Houston Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Those 2 had a intense rivalry for a while there and then the Oilers move to Tennessee and become the Titans and its nothing but another AFC game now.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
Salem is right. The fucking Yanks vs Boston is like Israel and Palestine, that shit is just a thing of its own and your born into that. :icon_mrgr

Thats why anybody outside of Boston/New England and New York don't get it. I mean I have people down here in Texas looking at me like "wtf? baseball?" when I plan an entire fucking weekend or days around NYY vs Boston Red Sox.

Weakside was also right about a rivalry dying when they change leagues and shit, look at the old Houston Oilers and Pittsburgh Steelers. Those 2 had a intense rivalry for a while there and then the Oilers move to Tennessee and become the Titans and its nothing but another AFC game now.
Totally agree there..But I do believe a rivalry can die. A perfect example would be in the old days of the Brooklyn Dodgers and Yankees...I wish I could have seen those games. And even going down to the High School level one of the best H.S. rivals here on Long Island is without a doubt Bellport Vs. East Islip..And that has be around since the early 80's.
Plus I think it is also the person to this day I loathe Scarsdale HS fuck them forever.One day I will tell the story of the Bellport vs Scarsdale 79 Basket ball game...

R

risnuff

"
Since the Browns came back into the league in 1999, the Browns are 3-14 against the Steelers. They haven't beat the Steelers since 2003, and their one playoff appearance was a loss to the Steelers. Unless Brady Quinn revitalizes the franchise, this rivalry is dead. The Steelers are big rivals with the Ravens however, which is the original Browns franchise relocated to Baltimore. They're also big rivals with the Bengals, because the two are evenly matched. It's the same reason why the Colts and Patriots are such big rivals.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'd say when one team completely and horrifically sucks for too long of a period.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
college rivalries die as soon as one side stops caring. Im a big GA Bulldog fan, but FL fans dont consider FL/GA as much of a rivalry anymore. Same as GA/GA Tech. GA has dominated so many times GA doesnt care as much.