Atheist Group Wants 9/11 Cross Removed from Museum

Kicked Frisky

I don't care about you
Apr 16, 2008
....and of course those "atheists" are jews.

An atheist group has filed a lawsuit seeking to prevent a cross made out of World Trade Center steel beams from going on display at the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

American Atheists sued this week in state court arguing that the group opposes the placement of the cross in the museum because members believe it is the only religious article getting special accommodation there.

The cross, made of two intersecting steel beams, was found standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

"This cross is now a part of the official WTC memorial. No other religions or philosophies will be honored. It will just be a Christian icon, in the middle of OUR memorial,” Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists, said in a release.

Silverman added that the memorial must allow atheists and other belief groups to include their own displays of equal size.

For the past several years the cross has been housed at St. Peter's church. On Saturday it was permanently moved to the 9/11 Memorial Museum after a ceremonial blessing at Zuccotti Park.

The 9/11 Memorial Museum, which will officially open next year, said its mission is to tell the history of the attacks through artifacts like the cross.

"This steel remnant became a symbol of spiritual comfort for the thousands of recovery workers who toiled at ground zero, as well as for people around the world," said 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels. "In the historical exhibition, the cross is part of our commitment to bring back the authentic physical reminders that tell the story of 9/11 in a way nothing else can.”

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-911-Cross-Removed-from-Museum-126216668.html

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Gotta agree with this. The attacks were made in the name of a religion, and if an "opposing" religious ideology is displayed at the sight then it only escalates that problem.

Von Maestro

Mar 12, 2010
This story is infuriating enough to me, but your attempt to make this a "Silverman" issue is even more enraging.

Die in a fire.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Whiny babies, Its funny how atheism has turned into a religion. If they were putting up muslim symbols you wouldn't have heard a word from atheist groups.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Silverman added that the memorial must allow atheists and other belief groups to include their own displays of equal size.
What is a display of atheism anyways...a large empty space? These are the beams that were left standing in the sign of a cross in all those pictures the day after the attacks? Fuck it, its more historical/symbolic than promoting christianity. Enough with the butthurt over this shit. Look at it or don't look at it. Leave it at that.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
What is a display of atheism anyways...a large empty space? These are the beams that were left standing in the sign of a cross in all those pictures the day after the attacks? Fuck it, its more historical/symbolic than promoting christianity. Enough with the butthurt over this shit. Look at it or don't look at it. Leave it at that.

Stop making sense

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Wow, you really are an asshole. Please tell me your whole act is just a stunt or some goofy bit? There really is no hope for humanity with creatures like you stealing oxygen and occupying the planet. When did your fascination with global conspiracies kick in? At what point were you kidnapped by the mothership? When did mommy or daddy drop you on your head? Were you severely picked on as a youth? There has to be some reasonable explanation other than you just being a fucking nut.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I think atheists should come up with a symbol that they could put up along with the Jewish Star, the Cross, and the Crescent Moon. I recommend the futuristic otter.

These people are the terrorists of Atheism.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I think atheists should come up with a symbol that they could put up along with the Jewish Star, the Cross, and the Crescent Moon. I recommend the futuristic otter.
They do have the atom symbol, since they have a monopoly on all science.

These people are the terrorists of Atheism.
You joke, but people like this do give them a really bad name. Imagine the idiot trying to ban Slaughter House Five, then imagine if Dresden were really New York. And that World War II was 10 years ago. That's basically what these people are doing.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
You joke, but people like this do give them a really bad name. Imagine the idiot trying to ban Slaughter House Five, then imagine if Dresden were really New York. And that World War II was 10 years ago. That's basically what these people are doing.
I actually wasn't joking. I think we (board in general, not you and me) can be mature enough to agree than the majority of Muslims (at least the majority of Muslims in this country) are just regular, everyday people who don't want to go lopping off heads or crashing into buildings. They just want to live their lives like everyone else. Then the terrorists come along and they know they'll be lumped in with that group, even if just subconsciously.

Same with atheists. Most of them are just people who don't believe in God but aren't dicks about it. Then a group like this comes along, whining about every minor thing, and the Every Day Atheists ended up painted with same douchebag brush.

I don't entirely get your SH5 analogy (is he trying to ban a book about Dresden/New York? does the Memorial = SH5?) though.

I consider myself Atheist, and I want to fight the otters.
Those otters will crush your skull like a clam on their tummies.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I don't entirely get your SH5 analogy (is he trying to ban a book about Dresden/New York? does the Memorial = SH5?) though.
It's a guy trying to impose his morals on other people. This gets a bigger reaction than the idiot trying to ban books because it's closer to home than a book written about something that happened in Germany 60 years ago.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
So god couldn't be bothered to prevent 9/11 but he could make some of the rubble resemble a religious symbol? Sounds like a waste of holy water to me.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So god couldn't be bothered to prevent 9/11 but he could make some of the rubble resemble a religious symbol? Sounds like a waste of holy water to me.
I'm pretty sure people put the two steel beams together. No one is claiming this is a miracle. They just want to remember their dead friends and family.

Top Bottom