Audiobook recommendations

Saikotic

Scraping a dull blade across your tender eyeball
Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I don't always have time to sit down with a book, but I always listen to audiobooks while I'm driving as an alternative to the shit that is terrestrial radio.

While there are some great ones out there, I've run into some stinkers. Some audiobooks have a dynamic reader who can read in different voices and some have full casts. Others sounds like terrible copies of 1940's radio announcers. So this is a thread of some good audiobooks you've listened to.

I just got done with the Thrawn trilogy of audiobooks masterfully read by Mark Thompson. He does close impersonations of all the actors from the films and really gets into it.

If you grew up on comics, Soon I Will Be Invincible, by Austin Grossman was quite good.

For people who dig on zombies, the first production of World War Z was great, but it was abridged. They're going ahead with an unabridged edition now. Also, if you've read The Walking Dead then The Rise of the Governor was very good.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Go to audible, you can preview the books. My favorite readers are Scott Brick and Robertson Dean. I read mostly non fiction history related material.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag by Henry Rollins [Abridged]. It's split into two tracks and it's a damn fine listen. It's also a pretty intense look at depression.

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
Go to audible, you can preview the books. My favorite readers are Scott Brick and Robertson Dean. I read mostly non fiction history related material.
I second Scott Brick, I think I love Clive Cusslers stuff is because of the way Brick reads it. I know I might catch hell for liking Cussler but i love his stuff on audio. He's one of those authors I've tried to read but can't finish a book but if I listen to it on audio I love it.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I just went to listen to a sample...holy shit is that ponderous. I know this is my issue, since I'm a freak and all, But I just wanted to yell "WOULD YOU GET ON WITH IT ALREADY??!!!"

That being said, I wonder how you get into the book reading business. I could totally do that.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I just went to listen to a sample...holy shit is that ponderous. I know this is my issue, since I'm a freak and all, But I just wanted to yell "WOULD YOU GET ON WITH IT ALREADY??!!!"

That being said, I wonder how you get into the book reading business. I could totally do that.
I always wonder how much they get paid. Sometimes A-Listers do it.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
The Dresden Files (James Marsters reads it.), Otherland by Tad Williams, the hunger games just cuz the reader sounds like Uma Thurman, If you are into that kind of thing.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The Dresden Files (James Marsters reads it.), Otherland by Tad Williams, the hunger games just cuz the reader sounds like Uma Thurman, If you are into that kind of thing.
Holy Crap, you did Otherland on Audiobook? I could barely understand WTF was going on reading it myself.

Otherland was fucking nuts.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
I loved it!

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
3rd Scott Brick, 2nd all things Cussler on audio. Also love to hear George Guidall read anything. If you got 3 or 4 months all the Wheel of Time books are on mp3 (torrent)

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
There is a new technology over at audible called Whispersync. You can switch back and forth between listening and reading. Sounds weird but I''l give it a try...

[video=youtube;ujWsgmdal58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWsgmdal58[/video]

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
There is a new technology over at audible called Whispersync. You can switch back and forth between listening and reading. Sounds weird but I''l give it a try...
Whispersync is an Amazon service that's been around for a while... it syncs stuff like last page read and notes to all your devices. This is definitely a weird/cool concept though.

Do you have to buy the ebook and the audio book?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Do you have to buy the ebook and the audio book?
Yep. It is a reduced price though. I'm looking at a book that is $25 (member price) for the audiobook. You can buy the ebook for $13 and add the audio for $10. So if you are going to buy the audiobook, you might as well just buy the ebook and add the audio, that way you have both and still slightly cheaper.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi

Good news. The latest version of the audible app has an option that lets you change narrator speed. It has a range of .5x speed to 3x speed. 3x is pretty ridiculous... I call it Biv-mode.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I'm into Ready Player One read by Wil Wheaton. It's a nerdgasm of immense proportions.

Imagine an immersive internet created by a highly functional/genius autistic man obsessed with gaming and the 80s. The Oasis is so popular that the company that made it easily acquires licenses to properties like World of Warcraft, Everquest and entire universes like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Firefly/Serenity. People log in using avatars that can travel between words (such as one named Gygax), and can engage in PvP combat. They even have an entire educational system in The Oasis as well as entire libraries of knowledge, catalogs of music, and thousands of movies.

Yeah, I want to play in The Oasis. The setting of the novel is deeply rich in nerd culture. But the creator is a recluse who dies and then a video is sent out with a challenge: find the easter eggs I've placed in the game and win my entire VAST fortune.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I'm into Ready Player One read by Wil Wheaton. It's a nerdgasm of immense proportions.

Imagine an immersive internet created by a highly functional/genius autistic man obsessed with gaming and the 80s. The Oasis is so popular that the company that made it easily acquires licenses to properties like World of Warcraft, Everquest and entire universes like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Firefly/Serenity. People log in using avatars that can travel between words (such as one named Gygax), and can engage in PvP combat. They even have an entire educational system in The Oasis as well as entire libraries of knowledge, catalogs of music, and thousands of movies.

Yeah, I want to play in The Oasis. The setting of the novel is deeply rich in nerd culture. But the creator is a recluse who dies and then a video is sent out with a challenge: find the easter eggs I've placed in the game and win my entire VAST fortune.

Cool book. Wil Wheaton is okay as a narrator.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
A friend recommended Guillermo del Toro's Strain trilogy (with Chuck Hogan). Has anyone listened to it?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit unabridged audiobooks are finally available. They were released on October 9 on audible.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi

Did you finish it yet? What did you think?

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Did you finish it yet? What did you think?
I quite liked the book, and the setting. Wil Wheaton does an ok job, but there are times when 3-4 characters are talking to one another and you don't know who is who. This is certainly not a mind-blowing, twist after twist adventure, but everything is very well thought out and for me at least, very well written.

Apparently the author had puzzles in his book and the first person to solve the quest won a DeLorean.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
I'm now into The Strain, narrated by Ron Perlman. He's... ok. Some readers are quite dynamic, others like Wheaton and Perlman pretty much do the whole story in their own voice, with maybe an inflection here or there. The story itself is slow to evolve and likes to meander off to show you snippets of things that are going on elsewhere, tangents to the main story that I barely care about. The way that Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro handle the vampires is really cool, though. I briefed over one review that said this is mostly Hogan's writing. I'm assuming these were del Toro's ideas that Hogan's fleshed out.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I quite liked the book, and the setting. Wil Wheaton does an ok job, but there are times when 3-4 characters are talking to one another and you don't know who is who. This is certainly not a mind-blowing, twist after twist adventure, but everything is very well thought out and for me at least, very well written.

Apparently the author had puzzles in his book and the first person to solve the quest won a DeLorean.
Yup. He has a scoreboard like in the book and everything. I enjoyed it more than any other book in years and years. Supposedly it's being worked into a movie but that would be im-fucking-possible. Can't be done well, period, end of story. Too many licensed things you need and also things that would be impossible to recreate (ahm...War Games...ahm...).

But yeah, such a joy to read if you're into any of that stuff.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Based on recommendations from a friend (who's handed me solid ones in the past), I listened to part of The Strain trilogy by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro. Don't get your panties in a bunch by that last name. As one review put it, it seems that there is a ton of Chuck and not enough Guillermo.

The first audiobook was read by Ron Perlman, which is why my friend excitedly told me about it. He ain't a good reader. Every character is essentially the same and he gets the main character's name wrong a few times. The second and third books were read by someone else entirely. As far as the story goes, it seems to have the Brian Michael Bendis approach in comics which is to take a 2 part story and draw it out to 6 issues. This story plods along and veers off the main story more than a drunk driver veers off the road.

I got through the first book and started on the second, and it was much the same so I bailed on it. I found myself not caring about any of it, it just wasn't that engaging.

Saikotic

Donator
Mar 5, 2005
Right Behind You
Now I'm listening to the first book of the Iron Druid Chronicles and it's leaps and bounds better than The Strain. The reader can actually do different voices (always a huge plus), and the story is quite engaging, starting off with a battle between the title character and a group of Fey. Basically, the novel is about a long-lived (almost immortal) druid who is beset upon by all sorts of Celtic deities. So far it's well written, a bit whimsical/humorous, and fun.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
A friend recommended Guillermo del Toro's Strain trilogy (with Chuck Hogan). Has anyone listened to it?

I'm reading The Strain right now, didn't know it was in audiobook form.

I'm just getting into audiobooks, so far I've listened to 2 of them. My job lets me listen to music so I'm sure I'll start flying through books,

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, took FOREVER to listen to, but was a great story. Really liked the guy who read it, and the voices he did for different characters.