Auto Stereo Help

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
I just bought a Swank 91 GMC stub Van.

Im working on a sound system... but Im venturing into unfamiliar waters with a subwoofer set.

heres where im at now.

Im installing the stereo standard to 4 speakers 50 watts each...

now the sub.

so far i have a ( Bought the 105.00 best buy cable kit ) moster red power line through my firewall to my battery 100 amp fuse inline. to a mono amp

now, the rca looking jack things go to the stereo right?

the woofs just run off the amp speaker outlets.

amps grounded.

now my question is this remote thing? Whats that do?

and also... ive got straight power to the amp how does it turn on n off? do i need a toggle or something? or do those rca jacks hoked to the stereo control it?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
next time you get a hot stereo make sure they give you the instructions.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Can't help you there. I have the standard radio in my car. As long
as my MP3 plays O&A thru the tape adapter I'm happy.
Never got into all of that stereo upgrade stuff.

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
next time you get a hot stereo make sure they give you the instructions.
yeah, spend like 600 dollars and the instructions are just a single drawing complete with lines.

hey BB1 if that tape adapter ever breaks gimme a scream... I bought one i used like a week,,, i couldnt take it, i bought a new stereo with all that crap in it... theres a sony at pep boys/ best buy... 70 bucks plays everything. card slot, mps plug in,, cd.

mud

Sep 3, 2006
az
The remote wire should be a 12v out of the head unit to turn the amp on. The amp always has power from that wire to the battery but something needs to turn it on and off.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
The remote wire should be a 12v out of the head unit to turn the amp on. The amp always has power from that wire to the battery but something needs to turn it on and off.
thanks ruin the bit guy....:action-sm

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
thanks ruin the bit guy....:action-sm
I guess he's a real stick in the "mud" guy! ;)

Shit I was reaching for that one. I need to go to bed.

Jun 10, 2005
South Dakota
I had subs in previous vehicles and the remote was a blue wire connected to the stereo. I assumed that is what turned the amp on/off. Sometimes the remote wire would come loose and the subs would cut out. I could be wrong about this, I"m not sure.

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Don't mind FEZ MAN ... I think hes retarded or somethin.

So that cable i got that almost looks like phone plug ... goes from the head unit to the amp... ok... i was concerned that amp being directly connected to my battery and using juice 24/7.

thanks man.

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
no shit... wires aren't my thing.

I liked to have an anurism today... im such an idiot, i ran 4 wires instead of two to the back... cause i didnt realize speaker wire has two wires in each case.:arrrh:::hammer::D

I'm a freakin moron.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
RCA cables should be color coded R & L. Remote wire hooks to your stereo's power wire,it senses when the stereo is on and turns on the amp. You sure you're amp is compatible with the subs? As in not having a 1000 watts for 250 watt speakers? Gotta ask...

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
I dont fucking know.

Guess I'll wait till i see smoke or not.

nahh, my stereo is 200 watt... 50 at each speaker... The subs are 650 watt max and the amp is 400 i think.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
RCA cables should be color coded R & L. Remote wire hooks to your stereo's power wire,it senses when the stereo is on and turns on the amp. You sure you're amp is compatible with the subs? As in not having a 1000 watts for 250 watt speakers? Gotta ask...
more the better! and turn the level knob thingy ALL the way up! :D

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
I dont fucking know.

Guess I'll wait till i see smoke or not.

nahh, my stereo is 200 watt... 50 at each speaker... The subs are 650 watt max and the amp is 400 i think.
Should be good,take some pics. Caught a bunch of shit when I posted mine,:D

Glenn Dandy

Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Should be good,take some pics. Caught a bunch of shit when I posted mine,:D
post em here, hell its a thread...AND THAT IS ALOT OF DAN ACKROYDS!!!!! Ill post mine after tomorrow,,, gotta finish yet.

I guess we could make it an informal post your sound system thread eh. Im already sucking up bandwidth because im to lazy to google it.:icon_roll

WATCHING YOUR TV PANELS IS LIKE BEING A FLY.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Fuckin' car stereo guy tells me " Don't hook the green wire to ground! That would enable your head unit to play DVD's while the car is moving and be illegal." I'm slowly building a collection of concert DVD's.

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
remember to look at rms power not max power

Apr 22, 2005
Bucks Co., PA
Come over my house with it and I'll take care of hooking it all up. I used to do a shit load of stereos and car alarms.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Come over my house with it and I'll take care of hooking it all up. I used to do a shit load of stereos and car alarms.
i suggest that option. all joking aside when hooking up amps its best to have a wiring diagram, and some kind of instructions (almost all are available on the web for free from the manufacture) theres lots of shit that can go wrong when hooking up a stereo that is much more than a plug in..... cross overs, ohm's all kinds of lighting bolt symbols, wires....... how to set the clock...:icon_roll i would do the install but not with out schematics.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
The remote wire that many are referring to is sometimes labeled for the power antenna. If you dont have a blue remote wire, look for that one. Also, I am gonna assume that amp is mounted in the truck of the car. If this is the case, run the RCA wires down one side of the vehicle, and the power/remote wires down the other side of the vehicle.

The RMS that ppl have mentioned is the normal operating range of the amp/subs. Meaning if you have an amp that is rated at 600 watts, the RMS may only be 450 watts. The amp is able to put out a 600 watt hit, but not continually.

You may also want to consider upgrading your alternator depending on how much juice you are gonna need. There is a formula for figuring this out somewhere on the internet, try googleing it. Anything specific, PM me.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone who puts DVD players in their car for any other reason than to keep kids quiet should be shot.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
i suggest that option. all joking aside when hooking up amps its best to have a wiring diagram, and some kind of instructions (almost all are available on the web for free from the manufacture) theres lots of shit that can go wrong when hooking up a stereo that is much more than a plug in..... cross overs, ohm's all kinds of lighting bolt symbols, wires....... how to set the clock...:icon_roll i would do the install but not with out schematics.
I agree schematics are the correct way to go. But there is not much you cant figure out with a simple test light and a AA battery when it comes to car audio.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
I just bought a Swank 91 GMC stub Van.

and also... ive got straight power to the amp how does it turn on n off? do i need a toggle or something? or do those rca jacks hoked to the stereo control it?
That's what the remote wire is for.