AutoCad on Tablet?

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Does anybody here run the AutoCad app by Auto Desk on their tablet, whether it be Android or iOS? I am currently running the app on both my Android powered phone and my iPod Touch and have been considering purchasing a tablet for the larger screen. Both my phone and ipod run the app very smoothly and I have no complaints so far other than the small screen size.

I am just wondering if one version is better than the other as I have never used a tablet before. The app is an official AutoDesk app and it is free for both platforms. It will show overhead, sideview, and 3D modeling. This is the only real reason that I have for wanting a tablet. Other than this, I have no urgent need or use for one.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
I run it on my d2 global. I really don't like it other other than showing drawings to different clients in the field. And then it's just simpler to grab my laptop and truly show them what i designed for them. I think having to grab something else would just be showing off to someone that really doesn't care.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
I'm just tired of dragging my laptop all around the jobsite and was thinking that it might be easier to just carry a tablet. I rarely have a good place to set my laptop on that allows me to really use it. When you're 100' in the air or more you really don't have a desk to sit at.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
but you always have a beam. get a netbook and use that. i really don't get why people are buying tablets. They load slower, have very little storage, and are the exact same size as a netbook only half the thickness.

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
I'm just tired of dragging my laptop all around the jobsite and was thinking that it might be easier to just carry a tablet. I rarely have a good place to set my laptop on that allows me to really use it. When you're 100' in the air or more you really don't have a desk to sit at.
I know what you mean... I've been in situations where were're 30 flights up in an unfinished building and clients ask to look at floor plans without a table in sight. Guess what? Time for everyone to gather round in a circle and sit on the floor indian style just like kindiegarden.

We've been using Ipads since april with autocad. I have to say it works nicely for viewing plans on the go and light editing (some limitations). IMO a stylus is a must, but the upside is that its intuitive so you don't miss a mouse. Anything that requires precise mouse movement should be done on a workstation anyway to avoid frustration. I'm about ready to ditch my laptop since I never use it for serious design/structural changes on a site.

Funny thing is I'm still the "don't get it guy" when it comes to tablets for personal home use. They seem much better suited for mobility than fucking around on a couch where a laptop is just as convenient.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Wait -- how much does this fucking app cost? I used to work for an AutoDesk reseller and a single seat of AutoCAD was still over $1k even with Revit and Civ3D on the market.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
Wait -- how much does this fucking app cost? I used to work for an AutoDesk reseller and a single seat of AutoCAD was still over $1k even with Revit and Civ3D on the market.
It is free but it is just a viewer, not a full design suite.

I have it on my iPad but I never use it. I am in civil construction and most of the plans that I use come in pdf rather than Autocad now. I use goodreader for my pdf stuff, seems to do better on the big 75 mb pdf files than iBooks or any other pdf viewer I have tried.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It is free but it is just a viewer, not a full design suite.
That makes more sense, but I'm still shocked AutoDESK didn't charge at least $100 for a reader. I've never seen a company more hell bent on squeezing every dime from its client base.