Movie Avengers: Infinity War, 4/27/18 and 5/3/19

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
This is huge news (In more ways than one!) so figured it was time this gets it's own thread.

Avengers Infinity War will be the first movies to be filmed entirely in IMAX' new 2D Digital Camera

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=120223

Two-Part AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR To Be Filmed Completely In IMAX Using Brand-New Camera

It seems Marvel Studios is going all out for Earth's Mightiest Heroes vs Thanos as it's just been announced that Avengers: Infinity War will be the first Hollywood features shot fully in IMAX

By DCMarvelFreshman - 5/7/2015

Last month, it was revealed that next year's Captain America: Civil War will be the first movie to use IMAX and ARRI's next generation revolutionary 2D digital camera, albeit for some action sequences. Today, Marvel/Disney and IMAX have announced that Avengers: Infinity War - Part I and Part II will be the first movies filmed completely in the format while further utilizing the new digital camera.

Directors Joe & Anthony Russo, who are filming Captain America: Civil War, said, "The intent with the Infinity War films is to bring ten years of accumulative storytelling to an incredible climax. We felt that the best way to exploit the scale and scope required to close out the final chapter of these three phases, was to be the first films shot entirely on the IMAX/ARRI Digital camera."

Meanwhile, Greg Foster, the Senior Executive Vice President of IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment, explained that, "Over the years, IMAX has had the incredible good fortune to work with some of the world's finest, most talented filmmakers, who continue to push the envelope both technically and creatively," He continued, "We could not be more excited to deepen our partnership with Joe and Anthony Russo, a pair of filmmakers we believe are next-generation trailblazers. Marvel's Avengers franchise has become a global phenomenon and to have it pay off in this epic way using the IMAX/ARRI digital camera is the very definition of event movie-going."

With this news, it's great to know Marvel Studios and Disney are going all out for the two-partAvengers: Infinity War event, which will be shot back-to-back for a whipping nine months, and will see Earth's Mightiest Heroes face-off with the mad titan Thanos on May 4, 2018, and May 3, 2019. However, before will get to the "real war," Iron Man and Cap will face off in Civil War May 6, 2016.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Whoa... That's insane.

Guess I'll be driving down to the Palisades... Until this area gets the fucking gumption to build an actual IMAX theater.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Okay, I'll go to IMAX for that.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Three years, what's the over/under on how long this thread will be by then?

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Three years, what's the over/under on how long this thread will be by then?
Let's see.... Beavis is still a year out an it's up to 157+ pages, I think... The Age of Ultron thread was only 58 pages... Maybe around a hundred. It depends on if there's trouble afoot, as I think the Beavis thread seems to be more active because it's a tad controversial. What controversy is in the Marvel universe other than faux outrage and a weaker than expected film?

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Let's see.... Beavis is still a year out an it's up to 157+ pages, I think... The Age of Ultron thread was only 58 pages... Maybe around a hundred. It depends on if there's trouble afoot, as I think the Beavis thread seems to be more active because it's a tad controversial. What controversy is in the Marvel universe other than faux outrage and a weaker than expected film?
The BvS thread also served as a catchall for the DCCU news for at least a year. Plus the movie ran into production delays. Also there was the adventures of Bob the reluctant long sleeve shirt wearing super hero that took up quite a few pages.

I would wager this one won't get to more than 30 or 40 pages prior to the first movie coming out.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Also, in case nobody picked up on it, these cameras will NOT be as good as the 70mm IMAX film cameras that are currently being used on BvS. Now of course use of the 70mm camera required aspect ratio changes in TDKR and Interstellar that proved distracting to some folks. This movie will have a consistent crisp, clean look. But purists will grouse that it's digital, not film.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
How do you shoot CGI in IMAX?
Basically make the resolution ridiculously high.

I'm reminded when the first Transformers film came out. To render one frame with multiple robots in a scene, it took an ILM computer 25 hours. Computer speeds have gone up, obviously, but still, I suspect the rendering time will be high for each frame of film with the resolution they'll be asked to output, and also depending on the number of special effect shots asked for.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Basically make the resolution ridiculously high.

I'm reminded when the first Transformers film came out. To render one frame with multiple robots in a scene, it took an ILM computer 25 hours. Computer speeds have gone up, obviously, but still, I suspect the rendering time will be high for each frame of film with the resolution they'll be asked to output, and also depending on the number of special effect shots asked for.
Don't ruin my snark with your facts.