Awake (NBC Thursday 9P/10P)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Anyone else checked out this show?

The pilot is available for streaming from the NBC website. The premise is similar to Life on Mars but takes a bit of a turn in that the cop is experiencing two realities running concurrent. In one his wife is dead from a car accident and in the other his son died in the accident. He experiences each reality supposedly while he's sleeping so he doesn't know which is real.

They use green/red filters for each "reality" and did some really good casting. Symbolism runs rampant.

So far I love the pilot and hope the series is as promising as it appears.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
I plan on letting it build a few episodes than watching, the commercials make it look really good.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I can never tell with these Network shows. Could be good, could be another The Event or Flash Forward. Zzzzzz.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I can never tell with these Network shows. Could be good, could be another The Event or Flash Forward. Zzzzzz.
I didn't dislike either of those shows; the biggest problem I ever have with shows like these is that the side stories always fuck up the main story, till you just can't care anymore.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I didn't dislike either of those shows; the biggest problem I ever have with shows like these is that the side stories always fuck up the main story, till you just can't care anymore.
I stopped watching the Event pretty quickly. Started off not liking Flash Forward, then loving it, and after the mid season break I just despised it and was happy to see it cancelled by the end.

But you are right - the story gets sidetracked and confused and too long, and eventually just becomes a self-sustaining entity. Just tell a story and end your show. Many Anime shows do that in 13 or 26 episodes and it works fine. I don't need 6 seasons, especially not if 4 of them suck.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I stopped watching the Event pretty quickly. Started off not liking Flash Forward, then loving it, and after the mid season break I just despised it and was happy to see it cancelled by the end.

But you are right - the story gets sidetracked and confused and too long, and eventually just becomes a self-sustaining entity. Just tell a story and end your show. Many Anime shows do that in 13 or 26 episodes and it works fine. I don't need 6 seasons, especially not if 4 of them suck.
You make a good point; I don't care for anime myself, but I do like that they tell their story and that's it. Even the shows that go on for a long time, do so in self contained blocks of story. That makes perfect sense to me. Heroes almost managed that as well, but fucked it up by getting stupider and stupider with the story lines as they went, and by killing characters, only to bring them back in more and more outlandish manners.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
You make a good point; I don't care for anime myself, but I do like that they tell their story and that's it. Even the shows that go on for a long time, do so in self contained blocks of story. That makes perfect sense to me. Heroes almost managed that as well, but fucked it up by getting stupider and stupider with the story lines as they went, and by killing characters, only to bring them back in more and more outlandish manners.
Yeah, because anime costs a lot to produce, they trim out the excess fat in advance. You can't just meander when your show costs $1 million per episode to make. Plus, a show is always better too short than it is too long. People are riper for sequels, and it increases rewatchability, etc. I said this in another thread, but most American drama shows have no story. They have a premise and just go with it. I think Lost originally had a story, but eventually it just because a premise that was explored until no one cared anymore.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
I tapped out of network shows years ago, and after struggling through the corny shitfest that was Terra Nova and the first two episodes of the infinitely worse The River, I'm tapping out again.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
I wanted to like The River; watched the last two episodes today and gotta say, it sucks big hairy nuts.