Bad Lieutenant Remake

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070830o.php

A contemporary re-imagining of Abel Ferrara's 1992 cult hit "Bad Lieutenant" is in the works it seems says The Los Angeles Times.

Billy Finkelstein (TV's "Murder One," "Law & Order," "NYPD Blue") has been hired to pen "Bad Lieutenant '08", a feature described as "less a sequel or a prequel than an attempt to take the raw material of the original film and weave it into 21st century, post- 9/11 New York."

The original NC-17 rated crime drama had Harvey Keitel playing a nameless, self-destructive New York City cop into drugs, gambling, theft, debasing women, and hookers. While investigating a nun's ****, he begins to reflect on his lifestyle and tries to change his ways.

In the new version the tortured Lieutenant has scored a name - Terence McDonough - and gets backstory showing off how he got promoted to his position, his drug addiction, and of course all the requisite violence, drug use and sex from the original. The main case he's investigating this time is the drug-related murder of five Senegalese illegal immigrants.

Finkelstein, currently finishing up a second draft, says "We have to factor in the passage of time and what's happened in the interim. I don't know that the same sorts of things that caused us to sit up and take notice 15 years ago are necessarily gonna have the same effect now."

Producer Edward R. Pressman has discussed the new version with Ferrara and Keitel, although neither is attached to the project.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
oh how I hope it's this absolute card playing "Terence McDonough"...

:puke: :puke:

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
File this under "unnecessary remakes."

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Fuck these no-talent assholes. Create something new ya faggots.

realy, why not just make a movie like that and just leave it stand alone, theres no reason to have to ride the coat tails of another film when if you make a good one it can stand alone.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.
Hollywood sucks, they might want to try something original for a change and stop screwing with old classics.

FAngel

I Drink YOUR Milkshake!
Mar 2, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Jesus Ponyfucking Christ, stop it! Of all the films you could remake, this one? It's not even 20 years old yet.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
Lemme guess..... the Lieutenant is going to bet on the Washington Nationals when they go up 3 games to 0 against the Colorado Rockies in the NLCS for the re-make?

Aug 11, 2005
starring jim carrey and salt and peppa, for no reason at all

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
Lemme guess..... the Lieutenant is going to bet on the Washington Nationals when they go up 3 games to 0 against the Colorado Rockies in the NLCS for the re-make?
:haha7::haha7::haha7::haha7::haha7::haha7:
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
well that movie is now ruined

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
On the other hand, it's being directed by Werner Herzog, so it may turn out to be a piece of inspired lunacy.

Badly-acted lunacy, but lunacy all the same.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Yeah, I didn't know Herzog was doing this. That's surprising. Creepy German freak.

I'm just imagining someone doing a really bad Nick Cage imitation saying "I'm sorry Lord. I've done so many bad things."

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
On the other hand, it's being directed by Werner Herzog, so it may turn out to be a piece of inspired lunacy.

Badly-acted lunacy, but lunacy all the same.
Herzog is fantastic, but Cage is ridiculous. Did anyone see Rescue Dawn? That was one of my top 5 from 2007.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
How is this even going to work to echo the original? In the original, the crime is what sparked the self assessment that created much of the conflict in the movie. The **** of the Nun and her refusal to cooperate because she had already forgiven them was essential to creating the mental instability. How is the murder of illegal immigrants going to make that happen?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I wish Warner Herzog could have Timmy Treadwell in every one of his movies.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Yeah, I didn't know Herzog was doing this. That's surprising. Creepy German freak.
Klaus Kinski, another creepy German freak and Herzog collaborator, would have made an excellent choice. The man was insane. Too bad he's been dead forever.

Herzog is fantastic, but Cage is ridiculous. Did anyone see Rescue Dawn? That was one of my top 5 from 2007.
I actually used to really like Nicolas Cage. Back in the days of Raising Arizona, Wild At Heart and Vampire's Kiss. Now he's become almost a parody of himself.

sd187

yousabird
Mar 13, 2005
That's fucking brilliant. Chris Russo could reprise his role as the radio announcer.

Except for the "show me how you suck a cock" scene I thought the movie was sloppy and over the top, but Nic Cage and Werner Herzog is a great combination.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I'm hearing this project really isn't set up yet.

Sounds like they released the press release, get some news about it in hope of being able to sell off the international distribution at Cannes, so they could actually go and make it.