Baggage ban on batteries begins

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
And no, there isn't a terrorist connection this time....

Baggage ban on batteries begins (AP)

WASHINGTON - To help reduce the risk of fires, air travelers will no longer be able to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage beginning Jan. 1, the Transportation Department said Friday.

Passengers can still check baggage with lithium batteries if they are installed in electronic devices, such as cameras, cell phones and laptop computers. If packed in plastic bags, batteries may be in carryon baggage. The limit is two batteries per passenger.

The ban affects shipments of non-rechargeable lithium batteries, such as those made by Energizer Holdings Inc. and Procter & Gamble Co.'s Duracell brand.

"Doing something as simple as keeping a spare battery in its original retail packaging or a plastic zip-lock bag will prevent unintentional short-circuiting and fires," Krista Edwards, deputy administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, said in a release.

The Federal Aviation Administration has found that fire-protection systems in the cargo hold of passenger planes can't put out fires sparked in lithium batteries.

The National Transportation Safety Board earlier this month said it could not rule out lithium batteries as the source of a cargo plane fire at Philadelphia International Airport last year.
http://tech.yahoo.com/news//ap/20071228/ap_on_hi_te/lithium_batteries_travel

That does suck because I do like carrying spare batteries for my camera and stuff because sometimes I'm not sure how much life there is in the batteries when they're in the camera.

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
Yeah. Just keep all your electronics in your carry on bags, like anyone who isn't a complete retard would do.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
The Federal Aviation Administration has found that fire-protection systems in the cargo hold of passenger planes can't put out fires sparked in lithium batteries.
That seems unlikely.. I'd like to know why.
Its just a battery. Makes heat and possibly fire if shorted.
But not magic fire, just regular fire that can be put out.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002

{mrs. garison}bzzzzzzt, wrong dumb ass,
once a lithium ion battery starts to short out its a chemical chain reaction that is only intensified buy water, and creates its own O2, so conventional fire suppression doesn't work. there was a ups cargo plane that burned on the runway in philly because of a load of lap top battery's that shorted out, and burned the plane to the tarmac, this is a real problem, also keep in mind that people are fucking idiots, and will bring the dumbest shit on an airplane to save them selves 1$ when they get to were there going. it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have caught people with large quantities of them just tossed into there bags, also keep in mind that LiOn batteries are generally higher voltage and amperage than a conventional dry cell.

just for fun, get a liOn battery charge it up or just take a new one and smash the fuck out of it . i found out just how nasty they are when i shot my my fi, it gets more than hot enough to start a fire were as a regular dry cell doesn't. they also operate at a higher temperature level than a conventional battery, thats why you your cell phone gets hot the optimal temp is around 120 degrees.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
Lithium burns like Sodium or Potassium does. It will strip the oxygen out of a water molecule and ignite the hydrogen that is produced. Water on a lithium fire doesn't put it out, it fuels it.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Good. Anything that get's me from point A to point B in a plane safely I'm all for.