Bailiff Forgets About Illegal Alien in Holding Cell...For 4 Days.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
She was locked up with her bail revoked because she's an illegal. She was in court for pirating CDs and DVDs. She had a storage unit with like 10,000-15,000 pirated discs.

With no food or water she sat there drinking her piss until she was discovered.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/219468/

The government of Mexico made its presence known Tuesday in the case of a Mexican woman who spent four days locked up and forgotten in a Washington County Courthouse cell with no food, water or toilet.

Andres Chao, the Mexican consul based in Little Rock, drove to Northwest Arkansas to meet with Adriana Torres-Flores, 38, the Springdale woman whose ordeal began when a bailiff locked her into a holding cell Thursday morning. The bailiff forgot about her until he opened the cell door again on Monday morning.

To r r e s - Flores, who went to court for a hearing related to her arrest in connection with the selling of pirated Latin music CDs and DVDs, was locked in the holding cell after Circuit Judge William Storey revoked her bail.

Holding defendants in the cell temporarily is a normal practice in such circumstances, county officials have said. But bailiff Jarrod Hankins, only two months on the job, forgot to call the sheriff’s office driver who takes the defendants to the county jail, Sheriff Tim Helder said.

The woman yelled and beat on the walls of the cell, hidden behind a wooden door along a fourth floor corridor. But no one heard.

Her husband, Cruz Torres, said he thought she was safely in the county jail.

Panicked and afraid she would die, she drank her own urine, she said.

After her release from the isolated holding cell, Torres-Flores was treated and released from Washington Regional Medical Center in Fayetteville. She was recuperating Tuesday at her home.

Chao said he made the trip to offer Torres-Flores, a Mexican national suspected of being in the United States illegally, the support of her government — and to make clear the official concerns Mexico has about the case.

“The consulate is here to protect and defend, because the situation at this moment... it’s unbelievable,” Chao said.

“Four days without food, without water,” he said. “It is inhuman.” After visiting with Torres-Flores in her Springdale home, the consul met separately with Storey and Helder. Both meetings were held behind closed doors.

Storey declined to comment afterward, citing the pending case in his court involving Torres-Flores. Helder, who described his meeting with the consul “amicable,” said he assured the diplomat that it was a horrible mistake and that Torres-Flores’ ethnicity had nothing to do with it.

Helder added that he had completed a review of the circumstances surrounding the four-day ordeal, and expects to announce a personnel decision today.

Hankins has not returned calls.

Chao said both Helder and Storey apologized and said that the judge had promised that “this event never will happen again.” Helder said he, Storey and County Judge Jerry Hunton are studying structural and procedural safeguards — perhaps including a video camera in the cell. But none has been announced.

Mark Booher, the deputy prosecuting attorney handling the pirating case, said three of the five defendants charged after a December raid on a Springdale flea market entered guilty pleas Thursday to misdemeanor charges with no prison time given. One had the charges dropped, he said.

Torres-Flores simply refused, at the last minute, to plead guilty, her attorney, Nathan Lewis, said Tuesday. She said she was innocent and thus could not plead guilty, he said.

Storey revoked the $ 2, 500 bond that had kept her out of jail since December and she was bound for the cell.

She faces an April 1 court date on the pirating charge. Court records indicate that federal immigration officials also have a detainer order on her.

Little Rock’s Mexican consulate covers Arkansas, Mississippi, western Oklahoma and eastern Tennessee.

thetick130

Trying hard not to kill my dog
Aug 16, 2006
NJ, fuck you
well you shouldnt be here illegally commiting crimes. I wonder if he did it on purpose

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Accidentally on purpose is what I'm thinking.

Regardless of whether it was an accident or done on purpose, perhaps this will send another message to illegals that they are not wanted here.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
A kid is suspended for buying skittles or wearing a gun shirt and we cry social injustice and outrage. A woman (yes, I know she's an illegal alien) is tortured and we w00t?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
A kid is suspended for buying skittles or wearing and we cry social injustice and outrage. A woman (yes, I know she's an illegal alien) is tortured and we w00t?
Yeah that's pretty fucked up. I mean yes we have a problem with illegal aliens in this country, but can we least have some basic fucking human rights while they are locked up. Especially in this case, what is basically a misademeanor. I mean if this was an American locked up in a foregin country and this happened, people would be outraged, waving the flag, and ready to drop bombs.

dolemyte

Tiger = Wesley Pipes
Feb 27, 2008
BX
A kid is suspended for buying skittles or wearing a gun shirt and we cry social injustice and outrage. A woman (yes, I know she's an illegal alien) is tortured and we w00t?

Was thinking the same... 'but, They took our jeeerbs' (South Park)

Im not gonna cheer for this shit

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Yeah that's pretty fucked up. I mean yes we have a problem with illegal aliens in this country, but can we least have some basic fucking human rights while they are locked up. Especially in this case, what is basically a misademeanor. I mean if this was an American locked up in a foregin country and this happened, people would be outraged, waving the flag, and ready to drop bombs.
That's become the new American way. If we have a problem with someone in any way we tend to remove the quality about them that suggests to us that they're human.

It really is fucking sad.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Which amendment to the constitution guarantees a person food?
Would this fall under the Cruel and Unsual Punishment thing for you? Or do you think there's a genuine sense of decency we should have not to leave someone foodless and waterless in a holding cell for 4 days?

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Would this fall under the Cruel and Unsual Punishment thing for you? Or do you think there's a genuine sense of decency we should have not to leave someone foodless and waterless in a holding cell for 4 days?
No I was being facetious. Part of me says, "good, fuck this illegal alien" but most of me says it's fucked up to not feed someone for 4 days. And to be honest, I kinda feel like a pussy liberal faggot for having that common decency.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Which amendment to the constitution guarantees a person food?
The 8th, stupid. :action-sm

The U.S. Constitution's eight amendment states: 'Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.'

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
No I was being facetious. Part of me says, "good, fuck this illegal alien" but most of me says it's fucked up to not feed someone for 4 days. And to be honest, I kinda feel like a pussy liberal faggot for having that common decency.
Ah, I understand now. But this is Wackbag so you can never be sure. :action-sm

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
The U.S. Constitution's eight amendment states: 'Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.'
So what you're saying, Fandango, is that we need to do this more often? :action-sm

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well at least she will have a good life once she is deported back to Mexico with multiple millions of dollars in her pockets after suing the fuck out of Washington County. I'd voluntarily go without food or water for four days in order to get millions of dollars.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Well at least she will have a good life once she is deported back to Mexico with multiple millions of dollars in her pockets after suing the fuck out of Washington County. I'd voluntarily go without food or water for four days in order to get millions of dollars.
I gotta say, dude, if anyone deserves it this woman does.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I guess I'll continue in my facetiousness:

Not feeding someone isn't cruel. If they're too stupid to get food for themselves, they deserve to die!!!

I had a feeling someone would bust out the 8th Amendment.
Silly goose ... She was in jail - how was she supposed to get food for herself? ::hammer:

What I'm having a hard time grasping is whether or not her name was on a manifest? Wouldn't there have to be some kind of record showing that she'd been checked in and if she was released? And was he the only bailiff on duty for 4 days straight?

I said it before...I think this was one of those accidentally on purpose things. The least the guy could've done was give her some water

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Silly goose ... She was in jail - how was she supposed to get food for herself? ::hammer:

What I'm having a hard time grasping is whether or not her name was on a manifest? Wouldn't there have to be some kind of record showing that she'd been checked in and if she was released? And was he the only bailiff on duty for 4 days straight?

I said it before...I think this was one of those accidentally on purpose things. The least the guy could've done was give her some water
That's kind of the root argument that Illegal Immigration Reformists are trying to get across. We've reached a point where Illegal Immigrants aren't even treated with the most basic sense of human dignity, and for the most part legislation allows it.

Edit: And to be clear I don't necessarily agree with that assessment, but that's what their side's screaming.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I gotta say, dude, if anyone deserves it this woman does.
Wait, so you're saying that nig nog woman that worked on staff for a basketball team in NY didn't deserve $7million dollars for being called a bitch by the men there?

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Oooh, I get to keep going :icon_roll

Well if she hadn't done something illegal to put herself in this position in the 1st place, she wouldn't have had to worry about it!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Wait, so you're saying that nig nog woman that worked on staff for a basketball team in NY didn't deserve $7million dollars for being called a bitch by the men there?
Lol, exactly. Where's my piece of the pie for being discriminated against for being a white male in this society? I mean, if I'm going to be treated like I'm the one that owned slaves can I at least have some slaves so there's a reason to hate me? If I'm going to suffer the consequences, I'd at least expect to be able to enjoy doing the crime.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
there's a difference between being called a bitch and being left in a cell for 4 days without food or water or even a toilet, Sam.

That being said, I don't think she should be allowed to sue. I think that's a privilege that should be reserved for those who are here legally. If she'd been here on a legal visa even, then fine, sue. But as an illegal, she should have no rights whatsoever

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
That being said, I don't think she should be allowed to sue. I think that's a privilege that should be reserved for those who are here legally. If she'd been here on a legal visa even, then fine, sue. But as an illegal, she should have no rights whatsoever
Please tell me you don't really believe this. You don't think that a human being which was thrown in a jail cell by American law enforcement should be compensated for being forced to ingest her own waste in order to survive?

I mean, legal, illegal, American, or Mexican, she's still a human being.