Ballmer is out.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...ceo-steve-ballmer-to-retire-within-12-months/

Steve Ballmer will retire from his role as Microsoft CEO within the next 12 months, Microsoft announced Friday.

Ballmer will remain as CEO until the board of directors chooses someone to succeed him.

"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said in a statement. "We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company's transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction."

Microsoft's board has set up a committee to pick the company's next CEO. Comprised of Board Chairman and former CEO Bill Gates and other members of the board, the committee is working with an executive recruiting firm and said it will look at both internal and external candidates to fill the role.

"The board is committed to the effective transformation of Microsoft to a successful devices and services company," committee chairman John Thompson said in a statement. "As this work continues, we are focused on selecting a new CEO to work with the company's senior leadership team to chart the company's course and execute on it in a highly competitive industry."

More to come.
They're about 6 years too late getting him to step down.
I can't think of ONE Ballmer-era product that wasn't a massive failure.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Sorry, I posted a tech story in the tech forum, not current events. My bad.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Sorry, I posted a tech story in the tech forum, not current events. My bad.
Release of a new gadget=tech story.
The CEO of one of the world's biggest corporations stepping down=current events.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
They should fire everyone at the main headquarters and have the Xbox division take over the entire company.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
oh well

no more crazy press conferences and rants then

I own nothing from the company but he was entertaining

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
As I said before, I can't recall ONE Ballmer-era success for Microsoft. X-box and Windows XP were Gates-era. And the Xbox was a success because they basically bought one of the best video game developers (Bungie) and threw a shit-ton of money at them to make their own dream hardware. Other than that, every product from Ballmer (Zune, Kin, Surface, Windows phone redux, etc.) was a piece of crap.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Wished M$ had an arena for employees to battle each other LAPRer style to the death (loser gets fired).