Bank Robber Could Lose $1 Million Prize

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Lottery Winner Could Lose $1 Million Prize

(WBZ) HYANNIS A Cape Cod man won $1 million in the state lottery - and he might not be able to collect any of it.

Timothy Elliot of Hyannis had robbed two banks in the past and was not eligible to buy lottery tickets, according to a published report.

Elliot bought a $10 ticket for the $800 Million Spectacular instant game at Stop and Shop in Hyannis. He picked up the first of 20 annuity checks for $50,000 before taxes on Monday at lottery headquarters in Braintree.

A law enforcement source told the Cape Cod Times on Tuesday that Elliot had pleaded guilty to robbing banks in February 2001 and January 2006. After each robbery he was sent to a mental hospital.

After the 2006 robbery, the paper says Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson told Elliot that as part of his probation he was not allowed to "gamble, purchase lottery tickets, or visit establishments where gaming is conducted including restaurants where Keno may be played."

It's now up to a judge to decide if Elliot gets to keep the money.

A Barnstable District Court probation officer told the Times a judge could decide to do nothing or punish him - even possibly sending him to jail for violating his probation.
http://wbztv.com/topstories/local_story_332071549.html

Wow sucks to be him...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
uh, isn't it obvious that YES he keeps the money, but he also goes back to jail. He violated the terms of his probation. This is such a waste of state resources. If you were a hacker that was ordered to stay away from computers and you went online and used e-trade to buy stocks would you have to forfeit the earnings on those stocks? or would you just go to jail for probation violation. I guess since they are going to take the money away, will they also give him money BACK for all the tickets he bought and lost with when he wasn't supposed to be gambling? I think this is the perfect reform tool...I guaranty if he gets the money he wont be robbing banks.

Ma. Is just being greedy and trying to get the ticket back and at the same time this is the best thing that could ever happen to the lottery...free advertisement of a $1million dollar winner.