Banned from the buffet

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
HOUMA, La. – A 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet, then banned him and a relative because of how much they consumed during their visits.

Ricky Labit, a 6-foot-3 disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular at the Manchuria Restaurant, eating there as often as three times a week. But on his most recent visit, he said a waitress gave him and his wife’s cousin, Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

“She says, ’Y’all fat, and y’all eat too much,”’ Labit said.

Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size.
“I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain’t that fat, I only weigh 277,” Borrelli said.

Accountant Thomas Campo, who spoke for the restaurant because the owner’s English is limited, said the men were charged an extra $10 each on Dec. 21 because they made a habit of dining exclusively on the more expensive seafood dishes, including crab legs and frog legs.

“We have a lot of big people there,” Campo said. “We don’t discriminate.”

The argument over the bill grew heated, and police were called. The police report states that the disagreement was settled when the restaurant said the bill was a mistake and, to appease Labit, the meal was complimentary.

Labit said he insisted on paying but was told not to come back. He complained that when seafood on the buffet line runs out, the restaurant only grudgingly cooks more. Campo said the proprietress tries to reduce waste of quality food.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
LOL this reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes apeshit at the all you can eat seafood buffet and he gets all pissed when they ask him to leave.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Dumb restaurant. The only people who eat at gross buffets are fatties anyway. It's like putting out birdseed and then getting mad at the birds.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I'm not a fan of buffet restaurants. However, I agree with the proprietress. If I see a table eating all the crab legs, I'm not cooking more. They can't see what I've got in my kitchen. I'll cook more once they leave.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Yeah buffets kind of creep me out. Although when I was a kid my brother and I loved going to Ponderosa.

Mar 17, 2006
"You here 4 hours! You go home now!"

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
I ain’t that fat, I only weigh 277
Unless you are 8 feet tall, yes you are.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Fatty-fatty boom-balatty.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
"ARGH!! He's like a bottomless pit!"
LOL yeah and then he turned Homer into a sort of sideshow freak -- people coming up to the window of the restaurant just to watch him gorge himself.

Jul 26, 2005
Central PA
most buffets around here have solved that problem by charging you extra for the seafood part of the buffet.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Unless you are 8 feet tall, yes you are.
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Fatty-fatty boom-balatty.
Buddy, 277 isn't far from average down there. You should see Houma. It's a fucking odd place bro. I stayed down there at my mom's place for a while back in 2001.

It was kind of interesting seeing alligator roadkill though. It's just odd seeing dinosaurs dead on the side of the interstate.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
"ARGH!! He's like a bottomless pit!"
Lawyer: "And what did you do when you couldn't find another all you can eat seafood buffet?"

Marge: "Ehhhhmmmmm, we went fishing."

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
It says 'all you can eat' it doesn't say 'all the crappy food you can eat but limit yourself on the good stuff'.

BUT, I also agree with HT, if I were running the place and saw that one table was making pigs of themselves only on the good stuff, then I'd let it run down as well. They're not the only people who come to that buffet and they should have some sort of consideration that maybe some of their fellow diners would like some crab legs as well.

I'm sure that Mr. I Only Weigh 277 will be filing a lawsuit and will win a large enough award that he can eat all the crab legs he wants at home.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Hello, Mr. Labit? This is your wake-up call.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
All you can eat buffet brings two words to mind, FOOD POISONING!!!!

the max

attempted murder? now honestly, what is that?
Sep 28, 2006
south florida

"mr. labit, i don't use the word hero often. but you're the greatest hero in american history."

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Miss live Lionel Hutz.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
this happened to my father in college. they kicked him out, and then he stole their all you can eat signs in the window.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i used to go to the local samonela stir fry joint with my neighbor, he would sit and eat two or three dozen clams at a shot, he was kind of cool about it though, and would slip the guy filling the buffet with a fiver now and then, not to mention me and the wife were decent tippers, i havent been back since he died, i kind of liked it, the place was clean, the food was good, and they never put out "too much" so it was almost always fresh, the place is in a border line black neighbor hood (well the neighbor hood is white but he shwoogies have to go there because they burnt down there super market) if there's one thing ive learned over the years, if black people eat there the food will be fresh and the help will treat you like the well tipping whiteys

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
This ends up being a non story though. He was comped the meal
and they have the right to refuse to serve him again so I doubt
he has any real recourse.