Bar has to pay $400,000 for telling transgendered patrons to stay away

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Bar has to pay $400,000 for telling transgendered patrons to stay away
By KATU.com Staff Published: Aug 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM PDT

The P Club owner Chris Penner
PORTLAND, Ore. – A Portland bar owner will have to pay $400,000 in damages to a group of transgendered customers after telling them they weren’t welcome in his bar.

That violated an Oregon law that prohibits discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation or gender identity, state officials ruled.

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries said Christopher Penner, owner of The P Club, last summer called a patron named Cassandra and told her and her friends to “not come back on Friday nights.”

Cassandra and her friends were members of a group called the “T-Girls,” which includes transgendered people. BOLI found that Penner called back a few days later and said that his bar was losing money when her group was around because people thought The P Club was a “tranny bar” or a “gay bar.”

“The P Club’s decline in Friday night sales between January 2011 and June 2012 is not a defense, and no evidence was presented to show that the T-Girls had caused any other problems at the P Club that might have justified Penner’s decision to ask them not to return on Friday nights,” deputy labor commissioner Christie Hammond wrote in her findings on the case.

The P Club has since changed its name. It is now known as The Twilight Room Annex. The bar is located on N. Lombard Street.

The $400,000 in damages will be paid to 11 members of the “T-Girls” who testified at the case hearing. Each member will receive between $20,000 and $50,000, depending on how much state officials determined they suffered.

Cassandra, the woman who received the voice mails from Penner, was awarded the highest amount – $50,000 – for the “emotional, mental and physical” suffering she experienced.

The state found two other members of the group also suffered physical problems based on this incident.

The bar also has to pay $5,000 in civil penalties.

KATU left a message with Penner on Thursday evening for comment but we have not yet heard back. We have also reached out to his lawyer and will update this story when we hear back.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Bar-...sgendered-patrons-to-stay-away-221799421.html

I'm always torn on these stories. While I'm no fan of discrimination, I'm of the opinion that private citizens should have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason.

The P Club’s decline in Friday night sales between January 2011 and June 2012 is not a defense
I don't see why not. What is a more legit reason than they were costing him money?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
The state found two other members of the group also suffered physical problems based on this incident.

O RLY?

I'd love to hear more about that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Again, why do people hate discrimination when it comes to nonessential services? I would prefer knowing whether or not I was contributing to a business ran by someone who didn't appreciate it or hated who I was.

The $400,000 in damages will be paid to 11 members of the “T-Girls” who testified at the case hearing. Each member will receive between $20,000 and $50,000, depending on how much state officials determined they suffered.

Cassandra, the woman who received the voice mails from Penner, was awarded the highest amount – $50,000 – for the “emotional, mental and physical” suffering she experienced.

Really?! For being told to leave a bar and not come back? Holy shit does drunk whiskeyguy have some lawsuits to file all around the western United States.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Really?! For being told to leave a bar and not come back? Holy shit does drunk whiskeyguy have some lawsuits to file all around the western United States.
You might have to cut your dick off to win...

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Men who drink to a blackout state are a minority in this country, and I will continue fighting for my rights.
But not a protected class. That's the key.
So, off with the cock, and now you are a member (heh) of a legally protected group.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
It doesn't get cut off. It get's sliced in half and tucked in. Don't you no nuffin'?
that's only post-op. you don't have to cut your dick off to be a good sport.

and ugh! what about this bar owner's right to operate his business how he wants to? it's not a fucking public park.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
Of course the west coast. Not surprised.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006

I RESERVE THE RIGHT!

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
So, after he pays them off, does that mean they have to stay away for good, or do they still get to Herman Munster their way around his establishment and wreck everyone's vibe?

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
What if he said they weren't welcome because he doesn't like their shoes? Would that be a cleaver way around unconstitutional anti private property laws?

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
What if he said they weren't welcome because he doesn't like their shoes? Would that be a cleaver way around unconstitutional anti private property laws?
Dress code is the best way to do it. But if you say no heels for instance you can't allow actual girls that wear heels in either.

Foggy

I'm wasting my life here
Donator
Dec 18, 2012
Straya cunt
Because I'm sure trannies aren't loud, obnoxious shitheads who get in peoples' faces and run away customers.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Don't write off all Canadians for disliking the transgendered. Some of us are fans of them....the good looking ones anyway....
I think he meant that by the bar owner being forced to pony up so money