Barney Frank and Ron Paul will Introduce Legislation to Fully Legalize Marijuana

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) will introduce "bi-partisan legislation tomorrow ending the federal war on marijuana and letting states legalize, regulate, tax, and control marijuana without federal interference," according to a press release from the Marijuana Policy Project that just hit my inbox. More from that email:

Other co-sponsors include Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN), Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), and Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA). The legislation would limit the federal government’s role in marijuana enforcement to cross-border or inter-state smuggling, allowing people to legally grow, use or sell marijuana in states where it is legal. The legislation is the first bill ever introduced in Congress to end federal marijuana prohibition.

Rep. Frank’s legislation would end state/federal conflicts over marijuana policy, reprioritize federal resources, and provide more room for states to do what is best for their own citizens.

I called Morgan Fox at MPP to ask about the chances that this bill will get any serious debate time in the House (a fair question, considering that it has only one Republican supporter at the moment). "It's definitely going to get a serious debate, probably more in the media than on the floor of the House," Fox told me. "But I think it needs to be debated on the floor."

What does MPP see as obstacles?

"Someone in the prohibitionist camp could hold it up as long as they wanted, but the slew of opinion pieces that came out last week calling for the end of the failed drug war will give this momentum," Fox said.

While Paul's status as a declared presidential candidate should help with media pick-up, Frank is leading the press teleconference tomorrow, and Paul's not even on the call.

Previous Frank-Paul partnerships include a 2010 op-ed to reduce military spending and a marijuana decriminalization bill introduced in the House in 2009. In the intervening two years, Arizona and Washington, D.C., have legalized medical marijuana, and the Connecticut legislature has moved to decriminalize it. Now former U.S. Attorney John McKay and Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes are organizing to completely legalize marijuana in Washington State. The time is ripe.
http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/22/barney-frank-and-ron-paul-will
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-kampia/ron-paul-barney-frank-marijuana-_b_882380.html

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
I'll believe it when I see it.
There has been talk about doing this here KY for a few years now. They seem to think that it would encourage people to take up farming again that got out of the business when tobacco went tits up here. I think it would be a good idea my family stopped raising crops and got into cattle when it went under. Hell also I see no problem legalizing pot. I think the war on drugs is a huge fucking waste of our money.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Of course, no one expects it to pass, but the point is that it is a big topic these days and that someone is actually introducing serious federal legislation to change it. To say "I'll believe it when I see it" is missing the point. The big story is that someone is taking the first step. On another note, if this gets a vote, there are going to be a lot of legislators who will have to justify voting to keep marijuana illegal. Before, federal reps did not have to answer for the policy because it was there before they cam into office. In places like California where it is already legal, those federal reps are going to catch hell from their constituents for perpetuating a law that harms law abiding Californians.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Of course, no one expects it to pass, but the point is that it is a big topic these days and that someone is actually introducing serious federal legislation to change it. To say "I'll believe it when I see it" is missing the point. The big story is that someone is taking the first step. On another note, if this gets a vote, there are going to be a lot of legislators who will have to justify voting to keep marijuana illegal. Before, federal reps did not have to answer for the policy because it was there before they cam into office. In places like California where it is already legal, those federal reps are going to catch hell from their constituents for perpetuating a law that harms law abiding Californians.
I'm not missing the point. I'm probably one of the biggest legalization advocates on this board and I realize this is just a first step. Its step that should have happened a long time ago and I'm happy that its happening now. But most of this country has its head up its ass when it comes to marijuana and the war on drugs for someone to take a stand and vote "yes" on the issue.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I'm not missing the point. I'm probably one of the biggest legalization advocates on this board and I realize this is just a first step. Its step that should have happened a long time ago and I'm happy that its happening now. But most of this country has its head up its ass when it comes to marijuana and the war on drugs for someone to take a stand and vote "yes" on the issue.
I know what you mean, but I think this will get a ton of media attention, and a decent amount of votes IF it gets onto the floor for a vote. I imagine quite a few democrats, and maybe even some of the "tea party" type republicans will go for it. This has been an ongoing conversation in the states for years now, but it has been purposefully ignored on the national level. If this bill gets a vote, then they will have to at least have a conversation about it and attempt to justify the ongoing failure that is the war on drugs.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
This is why the establishment is trying to ignore Ron Paul the best they can so people don't even know hes running for president. If drugs were legalized it would reduce crime too much and money would be lost for black ops. They will do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen. And SWAT wouldn't be able to break down your door at 3 am and kill you for having half an ounce.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
This is why the establishment is trying to ignore Ron Paul the best they can so people don't even know hes running for president. If drugs were legalized it would reduce crime too much and money would be lost for black ops. They will do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen. And SWAT wouldn't be able to break down your door at 3 am and kill you for having half an ounce.
Kind of like how you ignore logic.
Black operations and the swat team have nothing to do with each other. And if it wasn't for these evil black operations you hate so much the nazi's would be in charge.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
This is why the establishment is trying to ignore Ron Paul the best they can so people don't even know hes running for president.
It really is more than your stupid logic. This sums up the electoral process nicely.

[video=youtube;s7tWHJfhiyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

The system that is in place categorically dismisses any non front running president, its not subterfuge for condemning candidates with alternative views.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
It really is more than your stupid logic. This sums up the electoral process nicely.

[video=youtube;s7tWHJfhiyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

The system that is in place categorically dismisses any non front running president, its not subterfuge for condemning candidates with alternative views.
That was a great video.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Here is a video more relevant to the issue (states rights vs federal mandates).
[video=youtube;DR-qLB-XMhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR-qLB-XMhU[/video]

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
I mentioned before that I participated in the Panama Invasion. Why on Earth would the United State care about a two-bit dictator that was more or less endorsed by the US, stealing a bunch of drug money from American drug dealers???

Because many of them were Republican/Democrat campaign contributors. Not to mention, no drug money....no more CIA black ops, private prison industry loses units of labor, etc. etc. etc.