Barnwood Build - Fireplace Edition

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Our fireplace burns wood and other debris and keeps us warm and sits by our tv and looks kinda plain.

So I gathered some old 2x10s that were salvaged from a cattle corral and an 8x8 that was left over from a project 10 years ago and went to work.

Step 1 - set mantle

Step 2 - install remaining 2x10s

Step 3 - install fire

Step 4 - gather old barn siding for the remainder of the wall space.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Mmmmm, when it warms up I can almost smell the cattle.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
You peaked my curiosity

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
You peaked my curiosity
I think it's gonna look really good when it's done. Need to acquire some dark paint for a few spots on the wall where there will be gaps in the wood. Some of the edges are weathered terribly.

The lumber varies in condition from excellent to unusable. From straight and square to twisted and warped. 4 1/2" Headlock screws helped straighten slightly imperfect boards. Used my Kreg Jig for the first time to fasten the 8x8 mantle in place.

A neighbor offered me access to a building full of reclaimed wood.

Should be able to find enough in here to finish the job.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It'll probably look great, and probably has a flashpoint of 77 degrees.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
I think it's gonna look really good when it's done. Need to acquire some dark paint for a few spots on the wall where there will be gaps in the wood. Some of the edges are weathered terribly.

The lumber varies in condition from excellent to unusable. From straight and square to twisted and warped. 4 1/2" Headlock screws helped straighten slightly imperfect boards. Used my Kreg Jig for the first time to fasten the 8x8 mantle in place.

A neighbor offered me access to a building full of reclaimed wood.

Should be able to find enough in here to finish the job.
I got a little chubby looking at all that wood.

If I may; if I were you, I would paint the entire wall behind it dark brown or flat black, another thing is if you have access to a jointer you might want to joint one face, after checking for metal of course, so they will lay flatter against the wall so you don’t have to use so many screws. Another thing that you might want to consider is buying a plug cutter and a forstner bit the right size and deeply counter sinking the screw heads and putting pegs or plugs in the holes, it will do two things, hide the ugly “non period” screw heads and give it a more “rustic” look, just a suggestion. I love the idea I think it’s going to look great when it’s done, I really like “rustic” have you considered stone veneer around the actual fireplace it’s self?

I have a giant fireplace in my living room, our mantle is a giant rough hewn beam and a copper hood, that has a wood stove plopped in it, eventually I’m going to remove it and put in gas logs, I also have a fire place in our bedroom which is not working, when we put the gas log in the main fire place I’m putting a gas log in that one also

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I got a little chubby looking at all that wood.

If I may; if I were you, I would paint the entire wall behind it dark brown or flat black, another thing is if you have access to a jointer you might want to joint one face, after checking for metal of course, so they will lay flatter against the wall so you don’t have to use so many screws. Another thing that you might want to consider is buying a plug cutter and a forstner bit the right size and deeply counter sinking the screw heads and putting pegs or plugs in the holes, it will do two things, hide the ugly “non period” screw heads and give it a more “rustic” look, just a suggestion. I love the idea I think it’s going to look great when it’s done, I really like “rustic” have you considered stone veneer around the actual fireplace it’s self?

I have a giant fireplace in my living room, our mantle is a giant rough hewn beam and a copper hood, that has a wood stove plopped in it, eventually I’m going to remove it and put in gas logs, I also have a fire place in our bedroom which is not working, when we put the gas log in the main fire place I’m putting a gas log in that one also
A bedroom fireplace is some old school shit.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
A bedroom fireplace is some old school shit.
My house was deeded as a separate lot in 1905 I think the original house was a “cottage” or servant quarters or it was a satlite kitchen for the main house across the street, this house had additions added around 1920-29, then agin in the 1950’s the large fireplace is every bit of 6’ wide with warming shelves and there is one of those pot hanging doohickeys in the back but it’s folded out of the way. Our bedroom fireplace is directly above the main fireplace, I also have a coal bin in my basement but I haven’t ever found the coal shoot I assume it was blocked over when the boiler was converted to oil in the 50’s, tomorrow if I remember I will take a photo of the fire place, it’s impressive.
Where I live is old, like William Penn landed not far from here old and buildings dating back to the 1700’s are not uncommon

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Back to chorin'.

By my count I'm about half done. Took three hours for the wife to decide that doing things my way wasn't entirely unacceptable. Then five hours to get this much done.

Using 2" brads (18 gauge) to attach the wood to the walls. Barn wood is 1/2-3/4" thick and there's 1/2" drywall. Gives me 3/4-1" of penetration in to the stud. Less than ideal but it's what I've got to work with right now.

May 30, 2013
I've been bored, but I've never been nail a barn to my fireplace bored.

Lookin' good.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Can you plug those black screw heads holding the mantle? They're very eye-catching.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Can you plug those black screw heads holding the mantle? They're very eye-catching.
Been thinking about that. They're 4 1/4" head lock screws. Used them because I knew I'd have exposed fasteners on the 2x10s and they look a lot better than torx screws or nails. They are also very noticeable.

I think that will change once the job is done and the wood is sealed or stained.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Back to chorin'.

By my count I'm about half done. Took three hours for the wife to decide that doing things my way wasn't entirely unacceptable. Then five hours to get this much done.

Using 2" brads (18 gauge) to attach the wood to the walls. Barn wood is 1/2-3/4" thick and there's 1/2" drywall. Gives me 3/4-1" of penetration in to the stud. Less than ideal but it's what I've got to work with right now.

Glue, I use shit loads of construction adhesive paneling adhesive would work fine for that. I agree with @gleet the screw heads make me angry I still think you could cover them with something even if you hot glued a plug over them or a small square to make it look like “peg” construction.

Oh and it looks awesome I really like the way it’s coming out

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Oh and bets on the TV getting a hunk of wood dropped on it? I’m going with air hose from the brad nailer hooking it and pulling it off the stand

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Glue, I use shit loads of construction adhesive paneling adhesive would work fine for that. I agree with @gleet the screw heads make me angry I still think you could cover them with something even if you hot glued a plug over them or a small square to make it look like “peg” construction.

Oh and it looks awesome I really like the way it’s coming out
Ya I would have counterbored a hole so the screw heads are recessed then taken a hole saw and cut a plug for it.

Oh instead of brads you could use trim screws... cuz you can get them pretty long eh...

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Yes, spray lacquer, and make sure the fire is good and hot, it will help the paint dry
Put the boards up with rubber cement. A contractor friend watched a fireball roll from the basement water heater to the second floor bathroom counter the guy was making.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
Oh and make sure you are right shit hammered as well... keeps you relaxed when painting.
Best paint job I ever did I don’t remember spraying

Put the boards up with rubber cement. A contractor friend watched a fireball roll from the basement water heater to the second floor bathroom counter the guy was making.
I don’t know what the solvent is but boy does it love to flash

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Best paint job I ever did I don’t remember spraying

I don’t know what the solvent is but boy does it love to flash
My dad did a good one laying some VA tiles in the basement with Armstrong S 750 that has tolulene in it... and I guess he did read the instructions about standing pilot lights... like the one on the water heater. Got a nice third degree burn on his leg... could have been worse and made a FAE bomb and blew up the house with him I guess.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Almost done. Would have finished today but cutting the angles and fitting the boards where the wall meets the ceiling is a pain in the dick.

Then I watched cartoons.