"Barter Kings" - A+E

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
This is my new favorite show, in the "I'll watch anything where the price is negotiable or unknown" genre.
(Storage _____ , Auction _____, Pawn ______)

It's so bad, but I'm watching.
It's cheesy, scripted, and has to be completely fake.

They will start out with a small item and trade their way up to a bigger item they want. And with each trade, just completely fucking over the other person. And each time the other person is like, "Yeah, great deal... thank you, I'll take it"

The whole spin is that nobody has cash nowadays, or money, but THEY HAVE THINGS TO TRADE!

So, $100 MP3 player for a $500 watch
$500 watch for a $2000 ATV
$2000 ATV for a $5000 set of gold
$5000 set of gold for a $11,000 Boat.

Turned a $100 mp3 player into a $11,000 boat!

I guess it's possible that these people just can't sell their stuff and are like, "Fuck it, I need a watch... deal"
But lots of times they'll be giving away $1,000 "value" for $200 welding machine or something.
Keep your shit, and go buy a welding machine, it's $200 only. And you're not getting fucked.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I never watch shows like this but based on your description I decided to check it out. What a horrible show. It was the episode where the people gave the $1,000 jukebox for a $100 welder. And every deal is the same. "This looks like a piece of shit!" "Do we have a deal." "Yes." Douchiest opening credits I've ever seen too.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
The only reason it works is because it's in San Bernadino County, a place with a nearly 13% unemployment rate.

It's a bunch of people who pissed away their money on crap for the past twenty years when times were good, but now have to take whatever they can get to have something like a welder or log splitter that might give them a chance at making some money.

I've watched a couple episodes and each one involved at least one trade involving a dirt bike or atv. These hosts are the guys that have a couple bucks in their pockets and can take advantage of those down on their luck.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I do like how almost 95% of the people on the show have tattoo sleeves.
Too bad they can't trade those

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Sometimes I think there are so many good shows on TV right now with stuff like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc that it's hard to keep up with all of them. And then I'll look at the lineup on A&E or the History Channel or True TV and I'll think "Holy shit, television fucking sucks. Who would watch this?"

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
What does Storage Wars or Barter Kings have to do with arts?

Half these cable channels need new names.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
They try and make it somewhat plausible by saying it took them more than a week of constantly contacting people to get the right one. I wonder if anyone on here has tried the barter system from craigslist. I would like to hear how they made out.

The show I thought was the funniest was when the guy needed to trade to get his wife a new wedding ring for their anniversary. Nothing like bartering to tell her you love her and then she LOVES it

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
What does Storage Wars or Barter Kings have to do with arts?

Half these cable channels need new names.
I ask the same thing about the History channel with their shows such as Ice Road Truckers, Swamp Men, Pawn Stars, etc.

Come to think of it, when was the last time somebody learned something on TLC. Shouldn't that channel be renamed the Freak Show Network?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I ask the same thing about the History channel with their shows such as Ice Road Truckers, Swamp Men, Pawn Stars, etc.

Come to think of it, when was the last time somebody learned something on TLC. Shouldn't that channel be renamed the Freak Show Network?
I'd actually give History Channel credit for Pawn Stars/American Pickers, they'll have little historical facts. But those other two, Jesus Christ. I've actually sworn off watching any reality shows if they have to subtitle American's speaking English.

Fucking TLC used to kind of be like HGTV or DIY network a decade ago, between that shitty show where two couples decorated each other's room and Baby Story shit, you could say the viewers learned something. I even remember Adam Carolla having a house flipping show. But now the only people learning anything by watching TLC are probably perverts looking to kidnap little beauty queens. And I guess nuts learning how to save money on the most unhealthy food out there by using coupons. That shit should really be paired with some kind of diet show, yeah I could spend no money and get a thousand bucks worth of shitty pasta for free, but I'd probably die by eating it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'd actually give History Channel credit for Pawn Stars/American Pickers, they'll have little historical facts. But those other two, Jesus Christ. I've actually sworn off watching any reality shows if they have to subtitle American's speaking English.

Fucking TLC used to kind of be like HGTV or DIY network a decade ago, between that shitty show where two couples decorated each other's room and Baby Story shit, you could say the viewers learned something. I even remember Adam Carolla having a house flipping show. But now the only people learning anything by watching TLC are probably perverts looking to kidnap little beauty queens. And I guess nuts learning how to save money on the most unhealthy food out there by using coupons. That shit should really be paired with some kind of diet show, yeah I could spend no money and get a thousand bucks worth of shitty pasta for free, but I'd probably die by eating it.
That's what I like best about Extreme Couponing. It's stuff I would never buy. 1,000 packets of Kool Aid! 250 TV Dinners! We're buying another 100 toothpastes to add to the 500 already in our garage! I do wonder if the child who lives with an Extreme Couponer benefits when he starts smoking or if the mother is a psycho bitch who keeps a careful inventory of all the horrible snack cakes she has where her husband used to keep his power tools.

I don't know if I'll watch another episode of Barter Kings.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
That's what I like best about Extreme Couponing. It's stuff I would never buy. 1,000 packets of Kool Aid! 250 TV Dinners! We're buying another 100 toothpastes to add to the 500 already in our garage! I do wonder if the child who lives with an Extreme Couponer benefits when he starts smoking or if the mother is a psycho bitch who keeps a careful inventory of all the horrible snack cakes she has where her husband used to keep his power tools.

I don't know if I'll watch another episode of Barter Kings.
The one thing I wonder about Extreme Couponing is (and maybe someone can tell me) if I buy thousands of dollars of toothpaste, energy waters, and Larry The Cable Guy Fried Chicken Batter, don't pay anything because I used coupons, then donate it all to a food bank, can I use that donation as a tax write off at the end of the year, even if I didn't pay anything?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The one thing I wonder about Extreme Couponing is (and maybe someone can tell me) if I buy thousands of dollars of toothpaste, energy waters, and Larry The Cable Guy Fried Chicken Batter, don't pay anything because I used coupons, then donate it all to a food bank, can I use that donation as a tax write off at the end of the year, even if I didn't pay anything?
I found this. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's better than anything I can come up with.

http://dinesentax.com/1116/top-10-of-2011-1-tax-implications-of-extreme-couponers

Here's something else I wondered about Extreme Couponing. How many idiots watched the show and thought they could save bundles but ended up going to the store and only saving like $50 on a $1,500 receipt. Because I notice that it now has a disclaimer that I don't think it had during the first season.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell

The history channel was ruined by the same cunt who ruined A&E. She should be run through with a rusty dildo. Fuck her, I want to watch history programs I don't want to watch a bunch of fat slobs driving truck or pawning garbage.

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
I'm sure you could, but I doubt the rubes doing that shit make enough money to itemize.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I found this. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's better than anything I can come up with.

http://dinesentax.com/1116/top-10-of-2011-1-tax-implications-of-extreme-couponers

Here's something else I wondered about Extreme Couponing. How many idiots watched the show and thought they could save bundles but ended up going to the store and only saving like $50 on a $1,500 receipt. Because I notice that it now has a disclaimer that I don't think it had during the first season.
I can't even figure out where some of these people get 1 coupon for a free gallon of Tide laundry detergent, let alone 20 or more like these freaks have. I got a coupon for a new five blade razor from Gillette in the mail, fuck it wasn't even for me, it was a postcard for the guy who lived here before me, but I still used it and felt like a lottery winner for saving 10 bucks.

I guess if I signed up for every email list out there from all these corporations I might get one big coupon every once in a while.

Jun 27, 2012
I just wanted to say a few things:

First, I just joined right now to say this is the funniest thread I have ever read. I was literally laughing my ass off reading it. You guys are hilarious.
Secondly, Barter Kings, In my opinion is complete scripted shit. There is no one that is that desperate for things to eat that much of a loss. If they needed the money or item that bad, they could pawn what they "bartered" and buy what they originally wanted plus have some cash left over.
Third, I too remember a time when TV was watchable, TLC used to put on shows about the Navy Seal Training Camps, FBI Shows, Forensic Shows, etc. Discovery has a few shows that hold true to their channel. History used to show nothing but Civil War, Vietnam, WWII, etc footage and re-enactments, it was a great channel back then. A&E used to hold some good biographies and documentaries. I don't know what happened to TV, I honestly quit watching for a good 4 years. I was too busy with my family and working crazy hours. When things slowed down and I came back to TV I was shocked, everything was a reality show, the music channels no longer played music, the "Educational" channels were no longer educational. We sit around and watch other people "live their lives", when in fact it's all still scripted, they just call it "reality" in an effort to not cast actual TV Stars. You have to think, the TV Actors must be pissed because they are missing out on real work because any ignorant fat ass can throw on a camo hat and drive a semi truck, or any old bastard can find a PLANTED bag of treasure in a storage facility that has a bill of $75.00/month but was abandoned with $20,000.00 worth of "treasure".

Anyway, great thread guys, love it. I don't even know what this site is about, but it's good to see some people still feel the same way I do about TV.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Aw, there are way funnier threads than this one, just search around a bit. Hope you don't mind a little casual (okay, blatant) racism. Welcome aboard!

Jun 27, 2012
I love blatant racism lol. I must go and search out these threads!!