Bass players..

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
What do you recommend as a practice setup or small gig setup?? We're taking strictly bass.

I have a Hartke 120 combo that I abuse. I Just sold a bass that I hate & my marshall to a friend & he's lookin for advice.

Haven't bought in a while... discuss!

Stig?!

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Been using the same stupid 27 Watt Crate amp that I bought used with my first real paycheck when I was 16.

Even used it to play at the Stone Pony... the engineers in the small clubs always preferred to DI Box the bass anyway.

Legend of Snuka

Mar 29, 2005
NY
I second the Crate suggestion....Crate makes really good stuff for the price. Peavey also makes some good stuff...

Layne

Horrible cunt
Aug 6, 2004
Boston
I personally hate Crate, I cannot for the life of me get a low end punchy tone out of any Crate amp regardless of the model.

I'm assuming you wouldn't mind throwing around a decent amount of money? If your looking for a small gig combo amp I would suggest either the 1x15 Ampeg.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

Or you could go for something like a 2x10 with a tweeter I like Gallien-Krueger. Something like.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-210-Combo-Amp?sku=482535

It depends on what tone you want and personal preference. I have that Ampeg 1x15 for some smaller gigs, and to be honest I hardly bring out my 8x10 anymore because even if you play a larger gig you'll be mic'd. The tone i get out of that Ampeg BA115 is amazing.

Hope that helps ya some.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Since I play both guitar and bass, I used to use a Sansamp Bass Driver so I could run a feed to the PA through the XLR and also run a 1/4" cable straight to a power amp to feed a single 15" that I built.

The plus was that I could also plug it into my Randall combo post preamp and use that as a practice amp as well.

Using something like the Sansamp means you're not relying on the preamp in a cheap combo for your sound. You just need it for the power.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Thanks for the info.. think I'm going to steer him toward the ampeg.

predators1998

Mar 13, 2006
Tennessee
I still have the same Peavey TNT 100 that I bought in a pawn shop in '81 for a hundred bucks. For gigs I run a line out direct into the board and push it in the monitor mix so that it can be heard throughout the stage. It's loud enough to get me through practice. Luckily, the only thing I've done to it is replace the speaker once, and a couple hundred sauter jobs.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
I still have the same Peavey TNT 100 that I bought in a pawn shop in '81 for a hundred bucks. For gigs I run a line out direct into the board and push it in the monitor mix so that it can be heard throughout the stage. It's loud enough to get me through practice. Luckily, the only thing I've done to it is replace the speaker once, and a couple hundred sauter jobs.
When I played I used the line from my hartke into the mix or straight into our main through the mix. Used the Hartke as a monitor between me & the drummer.

I wouldn't give up this little Hartke amp, so I figured I'd see if anything changed. Nothing new. I sold him my beater bass & marshall 8240.

I gotta pick up a new bass one of these days.