Bear eats corpse of convicted murderer in Canada


What's black and white and red all over?
Same old zombie story again. Of course there were drugs and liquor and a black involved.

(CNN) -- A bear ate the corpse of a convicted killer in a wooded area of Canada, according to authorities.

The mauled body of Rory Nelson Wagner, 53, was found in a rural area in southern British Columbia on Wednesday evening, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.

Police believe Wagner was already dead in a 1986 Volkswagen Jetta when the black bear broke into the vehicle, ate some parts of him and dragged the rest of the body away.

"The driver's window of the vehicle was down and investigators noted numerous muddy animal prints and scratches on the car," police said.

Officials "discovered the body in the surrounding bush, about 120 meters from the vehicle," police said.

Drug paraphernalia and a bottle of liquor was found in the car. A coroner is conducting an autopsy and toxicology tests.

Wagner and two other people were charged with the 1993 killing of a man they thought had sexually assaulted a relative, CNN affiliate CTV reported. The man they killed was found not guilty of sexual assault charges, according to the affiliate.

Wagner was convicted for the murder, but he had been on parole.

Conservation officials say the bear was caught, but may be killed to ensure public safety.
Good to hear Steve C is doing well for himself.
Not anymore...

Black bear euthanized after feasting on corpse of convicted murderer

Oh and...

Who was Rory Wagner?
By Tim Petruk - Kamloops This Week

Published: June 01, 2012 5:00 PM
Updated: June 02, 2012 10:52 AM

On Oct. 21, 1993, Rory Wagner and two accomplices kidnapped Andy Kohlman and took him to a remote wooded area somewhere in the Fraser Valley.

They beat him to death and left the body. It was never found.

On Wednesday, May 30, Kamloops Rural RCMP and the B.C. Coroners Service launched an investigation after Wagner's dismembered and partially eaten corpse was located by hunters near Knutsford.

Now 53, Wagner had apparently committed suicide days earlier.

A black bear happened upon his lifeless body, which was sitting in the driver seat of a 1986 Volkswagen Jetta in a remote wooded area off Long Lake Road.

The bruin pulled Wagner from the vehicle through an open window and buried him under a pile of dirt and vegetation.

When the hunters made the grisly find, the bear was still in the area, protecting the food stash.

Wagner had a criminal history dating back to 1977, including more than 10 convictions.

Many were related to alcohol.

In 1996, Wagner was charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping at the conclusion of an RCMP Mr. Big sting operation into Kohlman's murder.

Shortly before Kohlman disappeared, he was acquitted on sexual assault charges involving two of Wagner's nieces.

That's believed to have been the motive for the murder.

During the Mr. Big sting, Wagner told undercover cops posing as gangsters he'd be more than happy to move drugs, collect debts and, if necessary, kill on behalf of the fictitious criminal organization.

He also admitted to taking Kohlman's life.

On the first day of his first-degree murder trial, in April of 1996, Wagner and his co-accused pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of second-degree murder.

Wagner was first released on parole in 2002, but didn't last long.

He fell back into a life of substance abuse and briefly went on the run from authorities until his parole was revoked in 2006.

After another five years in jail, Wagner was granted day parole last September.

He was released on a number of strict conditions, including orders he abstain from any intoxicants, stay away from criminals and drug users, attend counselling and not have any contact with Kohlman's family.

It's believed he moved directly to a Kamloops half-way house and obtained full-time employment.

In February, Wagner's parole was reviewed and extended to last another six months.

He was still under the same conditions — including no drugs or alcohol.

Wagner was last seen alive on May 23. Investigators believe he was dead for a period of days before the hunters happened across his remains.

When Mounties seized his Volkswagen following the find, they said they located drugs and drug paraphernalia, in addition to liquor, inside the vehicle.

Regional coroner Mark Coleman said an autopsy and toxicology test was expected to be completed today (June 1). The results likely won't be known for weeks.

As for the bear, conservation officials have reportedly trapped two bruins in the Knutsford area. It's not known if either were involved in the consumption of Wagner's remains.

Environment minister and Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Terry Lake has said the bear that dined on Wagner's body will be euthanized based on potential public-safety concerns.

Basically served 9 years for first degree murder... charming...