Beauty Queen Dragged Out of Bed Nude by Mistaken Deputies: Lawsuit

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I know I'm turning on the cop hater/Kirk signal, but, you know, nude.

Beauty Queen Dragged Out of Bed Nude by Mistaken Deputies: Lawsuit

There she is, Miss Nevada 2007. And here's her lawsuit: Caleche Ranae Manos alleges sheriff's deputies busted the wrong apartment and ogled her naked body as they forced her out of bed.

The mistaken ex-beauty queen bust took place in November 2011 in her Los Angeles County apartment, KTLA-TV reports. Manos was asleep in bed with her fiance when armed deputies barged into her unit, clearly labeled apartment "A."

Unfortunately, the deputies' search warrant was for apartment "C."

"The sheriff deputies, all of which were male and armed with guns, ordered Ms. Manos to get out of bed and then watched as she attempted to do so" in the nude, Caleche Ranae Manos' lawsuit states, according to KTLA.

After deputies realized their mistake, one officer allegedly told Manos she'd have a good story to tell at Thanksgiving, KTLA reports.

But Manos didn't find it funny. Her lawsuit seeks damages for negligence, false imprisonment, civil-rights violations, and sexual harassment.

Suing law-enforcement officers for negligence can be complicated. In general, a victim must first file a government tort claim and give the government time to respond to the claim before filing a lawsuit.

In Los Angeles County, such a claim must be filed within six months of a death or injury to a person or property; other types of claims must be filed within one year. If the claim is rejected in writing, the victim generally then has six months to file a lawsuit.

Under California's tort claim law, a few types of claims are exempt from these requirements, including federal civil rights claims.

In Caleche Ranae Manos' case, news reports do not indicate whether her civil rights attorney is suing under federal or state law. Regardless, the ex-beauty queen appears poised to take the case of her naked bust to court.

[Editor's Note, 8/3/2012 4 p.m.: This post was edited to clarify that there are limited exemptions under California's tort claim law.]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/04/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-legallyweird-idUS259228371320120804

I'm at work, so I can't search for what pics of Miss Nevada 2007 might look like.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Let me guess, the raid was on a drug warrant. Good thing she didn't have any dogs. What kind of incompetent imbeciles don't bother to read the warrant and get the right address before barging into a potentially life threatening situation?

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Meh...
Cops did fuck up though. I bet any cop in the country will tell you stories about shitbags getting off on technicalities, but they pull shit like this.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Where they going after Archibald Tuttle?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
For some reason I thought this was going to be Jon Benet Ramsey situation.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Most senior officer on the scene should be fired or at least demoted. This type of incompetence isn't acceptable in the private sector, but cops (who deal with much more serious situations) seem to get away with fucking up all the time.

I'm by no means a cop hater, but it's fucked up that a) cops can be incompetent and b) when they are, taxpayers foot the bill.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I mean, yeah, it's shitty and a bullshit raid and they deserve a lawsuit or whatever comes their way for this fuck up, but... what were they supposed to do? Turn their backs as what they stupidly thought was their suspect clambered out of bed? The way they're making a big deal out of them watching her get out of bed feels like a stretch to make the story even more enticing. If her husband was naked when they forced him to get out of the bed I doubt they'd claim the cops were ogling him.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Fire every cop that was involved and sue them personally, not the state, for millions. Its the only way other cops will learn. And prison time for home invasion and assault.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Fire every cop that was involved and sue them personally, not the state, for millions. Its the only way other cops will learn.
She doesn't have the authority to fire them. She isn't even an employee of the police department.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Fire every cop that was involved and sue them personally, not the state, for millions. Its the only way other cops will learn. And prison time for home invasion and assault.
The cops probably don't have millions.

Hocus Pocus Alakazam! Poof!

And like that, I'm gone!

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I mean, yeah, it's shitty and a bullshit raid and they deserve a lawsuit or whatever comes their way for this fuck up, but... what were they supposed to do? Turn their backs as what they stupidly thought was their suspect clambered out of bed? The way they're making a big deal out of them watching her get out of bed feels like a stretch to make the story even more enticing. If her husband was naked when they forced him to get out of the bed I doubt they'd claim the cops were ogling him.
You're right that her being naked is irrelevant. EVERY wrong-door raid should result in a lawsuit.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
You're right that her being naked is irrelevant. EVERY wrong-door raid should result in a lawsuit.
No, it should result in a firing and if negligence can be proven, charges. Like I said before, I'm sick of paying to insure/settle lawsuits for these incompetent cops, and as long as our money is covering their fuck ups, they won't care.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
No, it should result in a firing and if negligence can be proven, charges. Like I said before, I'm sick of paying to insure/settle lawsuits for these incompetent cops, and as long as our money is covering their fuck ups, they won't care.
and then you get people who wont make a bust because of the lawsuit factor, then who takes the job? What about the fact that they are following those who gives the orders?

Not saying something shouldn't be done at all about major fuckups though.

On a side note, her head looks photshopped on a bigger body. Did a gypsy just touch her head and say "smaller".