OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

beer served at gas stations?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JonBenetRamsey, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

BRILLIANT!

http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2011-07-18/Sunoco-to-Offer-Beer-Filling-Stations/

2. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Brilliant idea, give booze to people operating vehicles. There is no way this will go wrong.

3. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

It's not as if most people don't drive to the place they buy their beer at.

I notice the OP is from jersey. Jersey confuses me. Whenever I went to LBI they always had beer and liquor at Acme's. But they don't seem to sell it at many other grocery or convenience stores, particularly not at any that are just over the NJ/PA border. What gives?

4. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

There is a difference though. The beer is in Bottles or cans, not a 7/11 cup with a lid on it.

5. mills

:haha7: I like your point.

6. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

New Hampshire has liquor stores at the state highway rest areas.

[​IMG]

7. boardsofcanada

boardsofcanada You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan

How is this...real?

Especially in New York. This is something I could only picture going through in a state like Texas.

Then again, I guess it goes along with their deficit reduction plan which seems to be just to give out 500 dollar traffic tickets and DUI's to everyone.

8. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

And not allow MMA events in the state.

9. mills

I really don't see the big deal. Most gas stations these days are convenience stores that also sell gas.

It might not be hard to rip a sticker but it's not hard to pop a can either.

And a 64 oz glass jug? Who's chugging that at the wheel?

10. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

NY liquor laws have been relaxed a bit in the last few years, but this still seems like a bit much. Wouldn't serving beer from a tap constitute on-site consumption, requiring a liquor license like a bar or restaurant?

11. boardsofcanada

To me the most amazing thing about it is that it's happening in the modern day nanny state of New York. With all the restrictive bullshit laws they have it's pretty crazy that a fucking mini brewery at a gas station is legal in the state of NY.

12. mills

Really? I dated a girl from Syosset from 98-02, and stayed over her family's house about 20 weekends. Always hit up a convenience store/gas station on Jericho for late night alcohol. Maybe the laws went from light to strict to light again? Just guessing.

13. JonBenetRamsey

in north jersey, beer is only sold in liquor stores and some shitty indian convenient stores in the ghetto. but up here at my mom's in rockland co ny i can get beer from 7-11 until 4am.

14. boardsofcanada

There's a big difference between purchasing canned/ packaged alcohol and beer straight from the tap.
    If you got it straight from the tap you're going to want to drink it then and there...or soon after. Who really saves beer from the tap for long?

15. mills

Ahhh, see in PA everything has been homogenous and rigorous throughout the state for a long time. But come to think of it, things have entered a 'softening up' transitional state in the last couple of years, finally.

I basically get where you're coming from, but to be honest - and no offense - your point sounds like one a dried out busybody old lady would make. How many people hit up a convenience store for a six pack and don't plan on drinking it the second they get home?

The Big Gulp analogy was funny but not very realistic. Again, who wants to drink straight from a 64oz glass jug? You'd want to pour it into something smaller which is a pain in the ass when you're in a car. I can't see how this is worse (or even as bad as) selling 6-packs at convenience store gas stations unless you're thinking about it in a context of alarmist sensationalism.

16. JonBenetRamsey

beer served from a tap and poured into a glass is served that way so it can be consumed right there. beer in cans or bottles purchased in 6packs and shit is meant to be taken elsewhere to drink. but for every one of these stations, there will be 4 cops parked around the corner.
    also, when i was in germany 10 years ago, rest stops on the autobahn sold more beer/pre mixed drinks than soda and bottled water.

17. mills

Historically that's been the general idea of taps. It's higher quality than when it's packaged in a plant. But it's not in an open glass, where the carbonation combines with the air in the ideal manner, and permeates the air in a small room full of stools and snacks making for an atmosphere conducive to casual laid-back drinking. It's in a sealed container that's much less convenient to consume from than a 12 oz can.

18. Hoagie

Hoagie I suggest you tread lightly
    Wackbag Staff

Most people aren't psychopaths that see beer pour out of a tap and need to drink it immediately. Microbreweries have been selling growlers for years. There's no difference if you get beer from a microbrewery, a distributor, a supermarket or a gas station. You still can't drink it while you're driving.

19. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Is New Jersey still doing that thing where they won't allow you to pump your own gas? What the fuck is up with your state when they'll issue you a license to operate a motor vehicle, but they don't think you're mature and responsible enough to fill said vehicle with fuel?

And I also notice that New York doesn't trust it's citizens to operate a gas pump with the little catch on the nozzle so you can go hands off and jump back in your car and not stand outside and freeze your balls off while your tank is filling up.

Like living in romper room... the state is all nice and child-proofed for you.

20. JonBenetRamsey

still can't pump your own gas in jersey. i have no actual clue why but i have heard it's due to insurance reasons, but that sounds kinda dumb.

21. LastDeadMouse

LastDeadMouse WWRBD?

This. So none of you have ever bought a growler of beer before? I've got two empty ones sitting on top of my fridge right now. You go to the distributor, microbrewery, bar, etc., have them fill it, seal it with a sticker or tape, and you're on your way. Just to avoid any issues with the police I always keep mine in the trunk after I get it filled, but this is certainly nothing new. It's a fun way to try new beers.

22. Creasy Bear

Donator

Love the growlers.

23. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

It was initially to keep unemployment lower and today there is enough of a gas station attendant trade organization to lobby the legislatures to keep the law in place.

24. Creasy Bear

Donator

Ugh... the fucking unions. The same reason why they haven't upgraded to the one-man robot arm garbage trucks in New York. Why have one garbage truck driver paying union dues when you can have one driver and two African monbacks paying dues.

25. stevethrower

stevethrower Got Sig?

They don't sell beer though...