Before The Music Dies, great film on IFC about suck ass commercial radio

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
I was going to post this in TV, but it's about music and how fucking awful the record companies are. They also do a good job of ripping Clear Channel a new asshole.

This film basically shows how awful the tunes are on commercial radio and how we only hear what they want us to.

See preview below.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tsNO4PEhNw[/media]

http://ifc.bside.com/schedule/?_vie...ifc&filmId=44149501&timezone=America/New_York

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I'm going to set up the tivo for that. It sounds really interesting.

I love music and have around a fifteen music blogs I check out every day, but I detest the majority of music played on corporate radio stations. I just hate the way they play so much from the 90's.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I just set my DVR, the next showing is 2/26.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I was going to post this in TV, but it's about music and how fucking awful the record companies are. They also do a good job of ripping Clear Channel a new asshole.

This film basically shows how awful the tunes are on commercial radio and how we only hear what they want us to.
Grass is green, sky is blue.
Pretty much standard for top 40 and AOR stations for a long time.

On a side note. It's kind of disturbing how much you pick up an start to learn because of listening to the show after a while. I used to never give a fuck about stuff like this.

Dec 3, 2005
nice, i'll try to catch a showing.

McGuirk

doesn't overanalyze comedy radio
Jul 13, 2006
If I'm making a documentary on how awful commercial radio is, the last people I want to talk to are from Rolling Stone.

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
scheduled

Stig

Wackbag's All-Time Greatest Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
I just set my DVR, too.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Just finished watching the show, what a great documentary! I was completely into it. Hell, I pulled out a note pad and started writing down names of some of the musicians so I could look them up latter.

One guy I missed, who was the dude who jammed with Clapton?

.... And I have a new respect for Erykah Badu.

They also have a myspace with some great links to good artists.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...&MyToken=c3ee32df-aded-440f-a558-e738240fedab
Must agree with the Erykah Badu reference. She had some great comments about the music industry, especially her description of the "three kinds of artists".

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I've watched about half of it so far, I don't know what I really think.

We can all shit talk clear channel/cbs/citadel, but honestly have bands out there ever had a better chance at being heard then ever before?

Record douches no longer have to bribe radio douches with blow and strippers (that's how Billy Idol made it in America) and bands don't have to put up with the bullshit.

I think many of us are looking at this as people who didn't have the internet until high school or college, at least I didn't. My mom taught high school until last year, and the kids she taught were way hipper than the majority of kids I went to school with in Bergen County, NJ. These kids for better or worse eat and breathe the internet, they know about what bands are coming up before the vast majority of music programmers in their mid 40's ever will.

Right now a couple teenagers can jam in their basement, upload their songs, and have people around the world hearing them instantly. It's the zenith of the DIY movement.

So maybe radio sucks now but in 10 years when the vast country is covered in wi-fi and we have access to 40,000 online radio stations in our cars, will we care what clear channel is forcing us to listen to?

Myhairygrundle

Jul 16, 2005
Texas
One guy I missed, who was the dude who jammed with Clapton?

Doyle Bramhall. He has been a fixture in the Austin music scene for years. Glad you liked it! The Billy Preston shot at the beginning was awsome...I never paid much attention to stuff like that before.

http://www.myspace.com/doylebramhall