OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Best Movie You Have Seen In Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by KAI, Sep 10, 2007.

1. KAI

KAI Resident Skydiver

I just bought a new surround sound system and I am looking for good movies to watch in 5.1 dolby digital surround.

Any Suggestions?

2. MAV

MAV Registered User

"300" comes to mind lately

how come you didnt go with the 7.1 ?

3. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

Star Wars II Attack of the Clones. The opening scene alone will make you leak clear stuff.

4. KAI

KAI Resident Skydiver

I didnt buy the 7.1 cause i found a great deal on the sony Bravia 5.1. I got it for under 300.00

5. MAV

MAV Registered User

cool deal

i saw another good one not to long ago, cant remember what it was off hand, ill try and remember.

ill get back with ya

6. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

If you want to go slightly older, The Abyss was always a good one for testing out the subwoofer.

7. Fruit Monkey

Fruit Monkey Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning

8. FAZ8218

FAZ8218 Good eeeeeeeevening.
    Wackbag Staff

Jurassic Park
    Lord of the Rings - Two Towers
    Back to the Future
    Football movies
    Car movies
    Real football
    Real auto racing

9. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Saving Private Ryan...

the scene where they're storming the beaches of Normandy on D-Day.

In-fucking-credible. The view is first person, and not only can you hear the bullets whizzing past your head, but if you listen close to the 5.1, you'll hear the bullets "popping" into the soldiers on either side of you. I don't know how they did it... digital magic... but it's timed perfect. You hear a wet slap to your right, and the guy to your right drops like a sack of cement.

It's eerie. :icon_eek:

10. dodisman

dodisman Registered User

Toy Story 2 believe it or not...thing fucking rips...Opening sequence (from the videogame scene) is sick on my system

11. blee

blee Will Drink Today

Star Wars:
    The Phantom Menace - Pod racing, Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan.
    Attack of the Clones - The scene with Obi Wan trying to get away from Jango Fett in the asteroids.(my favorite surround sound clip).
    Revenge of the Sith - Opening Scene.

Pearl Harbor- the attack on Pearl Harbor
    Dawn Of The Dead (Remake) - Entire movie is freaky with all lights out and just you by yourself.
    Batman Begins - was pretty good.

12. MAV

MAV Registered User

it is an amazing scene

13. FAZ8218

FAZ8218 Good eeeeeeeevening.
    Wackbag Staff

That's a good one.

14. pure_waves

pure_waves © Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr

Any of the big summer move type things should be good, Armageddon, Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day.

For something with an actual story, you cant beat the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

15. blee

blee Will Drink Today

The Bank Robbery scene in Heat is pretty cool too.

16. Mindslayer

Mindslayer Best in the Biz

QFT. I watched the opening scene with my future brother in law recently and we practically wept as the surround sound enveloped us.

17. Darth Mode

Darth Mode You went over my helmet?!

I was thinking of the same scene. The seismic charges sound fuckin' cool. Gave me a chubby. I have a 6.1 system with both Dolby Digital EX & DTS. What does everyone else have?

18. Mindslayer

Mindslayer Best in the Biz

Unfortunately I dont have surround sound. I have a baby flatscreen (32") with HD and all but since Im saving for a wedding I cant get the system I so richly deserve.

Once I break open those envelopes at the wedding, though...

19. MrAbovePar

MrAbovePar En Taro Anthony

Dolby 5.1...heh cute.

Lossless 5.1 at 20/96 or higher. Beats the crap out of 384kbps Dolby.

DTS at 1.5Mbps is better than Dolby though. More depth.

Oh...and Crank on Blu-ray has awesome audio.

20. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Go back to your shanties.

Nobody's mentioned The Matrix yet???

Come on. The lobby scene? Crank that shit up when the shooting starts.

21. NikkorTheMonk

NikkorTheMonk Registered User

Absolutly insane quality. Band of Brothers, all 10 hours if you can get thru it, or just the Forest of Bastone scene if you just want to pick one or two hours to watch.

Side note... My father, a WWII vet, went to see SPR in the theatres and left in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Asked him about it later and all he said was, "I was there, I don't need to see it again becuase that was way to real." And this is coming from a man who loves war flicks.

22. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

I have a Onkyo 703 receiver with a full set of Polk 5 speaker surround, no subwoofer being that I have the LS25s with 10" subwoofers built in. It sounds nice. But my tv is just a 42" Sony but I still like it. I am not sold on 6.1 or 7.1 yet, you really have to have a large room with a lot of space between in order to set it up well.

Best sound that I have heard are the Lord of the Ring trilogy movies like has been mentioned before. But if you really want a great experience, play halo or Halo 2. the designed the sound to be different everytime. Another cool one was Splinter Cell, I fucked around for an hour throwing cans against a wall and listening to them bounce around the surround speakers.

23. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

i have a denon avr 2802, 7.1 DTS, mirage satalite speakers for TV and a bitchen set of cerwn vega VS 120's for music, right now its only set up in its 5.1 configuration because my room is not right for 7.1 and i dont feel like buying two more speakers.

as for movies, the abyss is a great one, and of course the usual star wars star trek, star ship troopers, SPR... etall

but another great one believe it or not is Forrest Gump. the fire fight scene is awsum, one second its raining and the next all hell is breaking loose, also a lot of the "large group" seines have a lot of action going on all around you just like your part of the crowd.

good fellows, the scene where hendery gets into the argument with his old lady you can here a dog barking but only out of the right hand speaker as if its coming from behind the bedroom door.
    when there walking in threw the kitchen you here pots and pans knocking around.....

theres lots of films were the surround sound is so subtle that you dont notice it till its not there, those are the ones that i enjoy the most, yea its great to here bullets wizzing by and shit blowing up, but i also enjoy the sounds of the crickets in arachnophobia, or the rain and the wind in a perfect storm

i love my surround sound, it pisses me off that i have yet to properly set it up, that is key, to getting your money's worth, good placement and tuning of the speakers its critical, not to mention cheeping out on cables like i did, i need about 400$ worth of cables and about two days of re routing to square my shit away how it should be.

24. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

fezzie, you go the mirage omnis or is just some mirage speakers? I always wanted a set of the mirage omnisats to play with.

25. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

no, there just he run of the mill mirage satalights with a 10" sub i bought this system in 2001 and the omnisats were way too expensive i needed to keep in in a budget, they work well for TV and movies but i really need the extra ooomph of the 120's to give a richer sound, but the 120's are 4ohms and i need to run an auxiliary cooling fan on my amp to keep it from burning up, but damn does it sound good. i put attack of the clones in for my brother in law, and i think he is still quivering, i also played the matrix lobby scene in for my dad, both of them went out and bought 5.1 systems, and of course i ended up installing them:rolleyes: