Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Watching the Giants win the Lombardi tonight got me thinking. What do you think is the best professional sports trophy? I guess you can base it on it's heritage, history, meaning, etc.

Personally, I don't think any trophy can compete with the Stanley Cup. I got an up close and personal encounter with it after the Canes won in 2006, and it is so far the best "celebrity" I've ever met. It's an original (at least since the 60's, I believe) and it's been handed down year after year to the winner.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
My brother and I were talking about this tonight. You CANNOT top the Stanley Cup. It's gorgeous and has the most history out of any other trophy.

Internationally, the World Cup would probably be the best to win, but nobody gives a shit about soccer here.

Mar 17, 2006
Not even close. Lord Stanley's Cup rules all.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
Lords Stanley's Cup hands down.

Apr 12, 2003
cleveland
gotta be stanley cup... even tho nobody cares about the sport or who wins outside canada it is still the coolest trophy

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
base it on it's heritage, history, meaning, etc.

That my friend is what the Stanley Cup is all about. It has more meaning and heritage than any other trophy out there. Its probably also the hardest one to win too, that can be debated by alot, but it is in my opinion the toughest to hoist up.

You also can't beat the heritage on there with all the names immortalized forever on there. The heroes of yesterday's names are on the trophy and that is why to win it is to achieve immortality.

Who are some of the Champions from the past NFL teams? Lombardi was great and his name graces the trophy Montana and guys like that are remembered, but Lord Stanley's cup has the names of all that bled for it and won it.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
That my friend is what the Stanley Cup is all about. It has more meaning and heritage than any other trophy out there. Its probably also the hardest one to win too, that can be debated by alot, but it is in my opinion the toughest to hoist up.

You also can't beat the heritage on there with all the names immortalized forever on there. The heroes of yesterday's names are on the trophy and that is why to win it is to achieve immortality.

Who are some of the Champions from the past NFL teams? Lombardi was great and his name graces the trophy Montana and guys like that are remembered, but Lord Stanley's cup has the names of all that bled for it and won it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

Not only that, but the Cup is not at all perfect. I believe the first spelling error was in the 1940's and it wasn't corrected. Since then, there have been other spelling errors (Ilanders, Deadmarch, etc). Now, the holders of the Cup could have easily made the necessary corrections today, but they've decided to keep the imperfections on the Cup. It keeps it genuine and imperfect.

There are apparently three Cups that exist today...the original bowl Cup that was the actual Cup Lord Stanley of Preston purchased, the traveling Cup that has been awarded to teams since 1963, and a replica for the Hockey Hall of Fame. The traveling Cup was revealed in 1970 after it was stolen. It was then returned anonymously.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
They say if you're at the Hockey Hall of Fame on the right day, you may catch the traveling cup. I have been there twice but have only caught the replica.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Jackie Martlin Shit in the Stanly Cup.... sorry O&A but one of the best bits ever.

Everytime i see an old Canadian kiss it i giggle.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Stanley Cup, but that's the only thing hockey has going for it for mass appeal (other than the occasional outdoor game).

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
as much as I would love to hug and squeeze and cuddle the Lombardi, especially tonight.....nothing comes close to the Stanley Cup

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I've had the good fortune of getting to see the Cup a few times at my job... and once again at MSG last season.

All 3 times it was the travelling (real) Cup.

How can you tell? The real Cup looks like shit. Seriously, it's so old and has been handled so much, the thing is filled with scratches and dings. From afar, it shines. Up close, you can tell how beaten up it is.

And every single scar on it makes it that much sweeter.

Some of the history behind the thing is amazing:

Most centenarians have had a few close calls in their long lives. The Stanley Cup is no exception. Hockey players, particularly when in a celebratory mood, can be forgetful. The 1905 Ottawa Silver Seven, well oiled at the time, decided to see whether their hard-won silver bowl could be kicked over the Rideau Canal. It couldn’t, landing in the middle. The team continued their festivities, returning the following day to retrieve the trophy, a relatively easy task on the waterway’s still-frozen surface.

The 1908 Montreal Wanderers had a photograph taken with the Cup but forgot the centrepiece of the composition at the photographer’s studio. When it was finally tracked down, it was doing duty as a geranium planter.

The 1924 Montreal Canadiens entrusted Sprague Cleghorn with the task of transporting the Stanley Cup to owner Leo Dandurand’s victory party. Temporarily sidelined by a flat tire, Cleghorn placed the Cup on the side of the road, changed the tire and resumed his journey. Returning shortly afterwards he found it where he had left it.
In 1925, Lynn and Muzz Patrick, the sons of Victoria Cougars manager-coach Lester Patrick, discovered the Cup in the basement of their home, and scratched their names on it with a nail. In 1940, their names were properly engraved on it as members of the champion New York Rangers. They also urinated in the Cup with teammates.

During the 1940-41 NHL season, the mortgage on the Madison Square Garden was paid. The management publicly celebrated by burning the mortgage in the Cup. Some fans claimed this act "desecrated" the Cup, leading to the alleged Curse of 1940, which "caused" the Rangers to wait 54 years for another win.
The 1943-44 Habs celebrated their triumph in a Chinese restaurant. It had been 13 years since the last Stanley Cup victory bash and this one went well into the evening and the boys drifted home to prepare for their upcoming hangovers, nobody thinking to take the vessel that held exactly 14 bottles of beer with them.
In 1957, Maurice "Rocket" Richard chipped both of his front teeth while drinking from the Stanley Cup. In the Chicago Stadium, in the spring of 1961, the Montreal Canadiens were losing the final game of a Playoff series to the Chicago Blackhawks. A Montreal fan in the stands was upset, so he left his seat, ran down to the front lobby and broke into the glass showcase where the Stanley Cup was on display. He grabbed the Cup, hoisted it over his shoulders and made for the exit before he was arrested. In court, he explained his behaviour to the judge: "Your Honour, I was simply bringing the Cup back to Montreal where it belongs." In 1962, the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup. During a party after the win, the trophy was dropped in a bonfire and badly damaged. It was repaired at the expense of the team. In 1964, Red Kelly of the Toronto Maple Leafs posed for a photo with his infant son sitting in the Cup, only to find the child had urinated in it. Kelly was quoted years later as saying it has always since made him laugh to see players drinking out of the Cup. The New York Islanders' Bryan Trottier admitted to sleeping with the Cup (as have, apparently, dozens of players).
In 1977, the most revered award in the hockey world was unceremoniously dumped into a duffel bag while on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame. The thieves were stopped just short of their objective as they made for their getaway car.

They thought the Cup was a goner when it disappeared without a trace following the 1979 parade in Montreal. Abducted and bundled off under the cover of darkness in a speeding automobile, it reappeared on a front lawn in Thurso, Quebec, early the next morning. Friends and neighbors of the Lafleur family were thrilled that Guy had brought his work home with him. League trustees were not amused.
In 1987, the Edmonton Oilers' Mark Messier took it to his favourite club in his hometown of St. Albert, Alberta and let fans drink out of it. It wound up slightly bent in various places for unknown reasons. It was repaired at a local automotive shop, and shipped back to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The 1991 Pittsburgh Penguins and 1993 Montreal Canadiens decided to test its buoyancy by tossing it into Mario Lemieux's and Patrick Roy's respective pools ("The Stanley Cup" — noted then-Canadiens captain Guy Carbonneau — "does not float."). Dominik Hasek had his visit with the Cup cut short for doing the same.

In 1994, several New York Rangers took the Cup to Belmont Park, filled it with oats, and let Kentucky Derby winner Go for Gin eat out of it.

The 1999 Dallas Stars' Stanley Cup party was hosted at the house of Stars defenceman Craig Ludwig and Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul. At the party, Stars forward Guy Carbonneau allegedly attempted to throw the Cup from the upstairs deck into the house's Crown Royal shaped pool below. The Cup caught the lip of the pool, producing a large dent. Mike Bolt, one of the "Keepers of the Cup" for the NHL, stated that this never happened. "What happened was that one of the players was posing with it next to the pool when someone pushed him into the water, and it went in with him. It was in the water maybe two seconds," Mr. Bolt said. "It was a real good party from what I understand." The trophy was dented the previous day, when a player dropped it during a locker room celebration, Mr. Bolt said.

In 1999 and 2003, the cup made a trip to Joe Nieuwendyk's alma mater, Cornell University, both times visiting a local college bar. In 2003, Martin Brodeur ate popcorn out of the Cup, and had butter stains and salt damage for the next 8 days before Jamie Langenbrunner cleaned it. In 2003, the Cup was slated to make its first-ever visit to Slovakia with New Jersey Devils' Jiri Bicek, but was left behind in Canada; it was on the next flight out of Toronto. Finally, on August 22, 2004, Walter Neubrand, keeper of the Cup, boarded a plane to Fort St. John, British Columbia to deliver it to Tampa Bay Lightning head scout Jake Goertzen. However, Air Canada officials at Vancouver International Airport removed it before takeoff because of weight restrictions. The Cup spent the night in the luggage area, 1,200 kilometres (750 miles) away. It was flown to Fort St. John the following day.

In 2007, a photoshoot on the set of the NBC television series Heroes showed actors Milo Ventimiglia and Hayden Panettiere 'goofing off' with the cup, including worshipping, walking with, and Hayden licking and kissing the trophy.

On June 7, 2007, after the Anaheim Ducks won the Cup, captain Scott Niedermayer brought the trophy to the set in Los Angeles of Jim Rome is Burning. While the Cup was on set, Jim Rome's radio show producer, and associate producer of JRIB, Travis Rodgers hoisted and posed with the Cup. The images were then posted on Jim Rome's website, which upset many Canadians, who called Rome's radio show on June 8 to complain that Rodgers had disrespected the Cup. Don Cherry called into the program to defend Rodgers, stating his belief that he did not disrespect the Cup at all.
Errors and other oddities on the Cup:

Only once has a name been removed from the Stanley Cup. After it became apparent that he had nothing to do with Edmonton’s triumphant 1983-84 campaign, Bazil Pocklington, father of the Oilers owner, had his name crossed off the silverware, overwritten with XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX. Kerry Day, son of Leafs coach, Hap Day has managed to avoid the same fate and is still immortalized for his distinguished service as team mascot in the late 1940s.
There have been numerous errors on the engraving on the Cup, some of which also exist on the duplicate Cup found in the Hockey Hall of Fame:

* In 1929, Boston Bruins player-coach Cy Denneny's name was listed on the Cup twice (once as a player and once as a coach), with one being spelled correctly and the other as "Cy Dennenny".
* In 1944, Montreal Canadiens's Gerry Heffernan's name was spelled "Jerry Hefferman"
* In 1952, Detroit Red Wings' coach Tommy Ivan's last name was spelled "Nivan", and Alex Delvecchio's last name was spelled "Belvecchio".
* In 1963, the Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Toronto Maple Leaes"
* In 1965, the Montreal Canadiens was spelled "Montreal Canadiene"
* In 1967, 4 errors were made: Marcel Pronovost's name is spelled "PRONQVOST", the "K" in Pete Stemkowski's name is upside down, the "A" in Stafford Smythe's first name is missing (improperly struck), and "Business Manager" was abbreviated "BUISS MANN".
* In 1972, the Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn Bruins"
* In 1981, the New York Islanders was spelt "New York Ilanders"
* In 1984, Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington included his father, Basil. However, as Basil had no official connection to the team, his name was X'ed out.
* In 1996, Colorado Avalanche's Adam Deadmarsh's last name was spelled "Deadmarch". It was later corrected, the first time a correction had been made.
* In 2002, Detroit Red Wings's Manny Legace's last name was misspelled "Lagace", which was corrected
* In 2006, Carolina Hurricanes centre Eric Staal's last name was spelled as "Staaal". It was also corrected.
* Some misspellings were never corrected: Jacques Plante's name (5 times); Bob Gainey was spelled "Gainy"; Ted Kennedy was spelled "Kennedyy".

There's also a story out there that someone (I can't remember which team) had his title Assistant Manager abbreviated as "ASS MAN."

And here's something I didn't know. They put the lockout season on the Cup:

Here's something else pretty funny:
f all continues according to schedule, this year's engraving of the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes will remain on Lord Stanley's glorious legacy until after the winner of the 2069 Stanley Cup championship is decided. Hopefully, 99-year-old captain Rod Brind'Amour will be on hand to observe the special occasion!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
How can you tell? The real Cup looks like shit. Seriously, it's so old and has been handled so much, the thing is filled with scratches and dings. From afar, it shines. Up close, you can tell how beaten up it is.
When I saw it, the engraving around the bowl was very hard to read. I guess since people are constantly holding it by there, the engraving wore off a bit. Here's my pic with it...

It was mid-September by the time I got an up close meeting with it (the Canes won in June) and you can tell it hadn't been sent in for repairs or dent removals, etc. The bowl was slightly bent and the black paint on the bottom rim was worn off. It literally felt like I was taking a picture with a legendary celebrity. But just reading the names off of it and just thinking about guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Bossy, Orr, Richard etc all dedicated their lives to win and hoist it...it was a huge experience for me being a hockey fan.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Lord Stanley's Cup. It's not even close.

I can see people voting for the World Cup, but you can't get excited over a sport where the trophy is the size of a water bottle.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Not a huge hockey fan, but I'm going to vote for the Stanley Cup. Not only for the history and heritage like everyone else has said. The fact that each member of team gets to have the trophy for a day is pretty cool.

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
And here's something I didn't know. They put the lockout season on the Cup:
Didn't know that either.. what a waste of space.

Here's that list of misspellings that somebody mentioned:

• Jacques Plante's name has been misspelled five times (e.g., "Jocko", "Jack" and "Plant").
  • Bob Gainey was spelled "Gainy" when he was a player for Montreal in the 1970s.
  • Ted Kennedy was spelled "Kennedyy" in the 1940s.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Leaes" in 1963.
  • Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn" in 1972.
  • New York Islanders was spelled "Ilanders" in 1981.
  • One name was later scratched out: Peter Pocklington, a former Edmonton Oilers owner, put his father's name, Basil, on the Stanley Cup in 1984; today, there is a series of "X's" over Basil's name.
  • In 1996, Colorado Avalanche's Adam Deadmarsh's last name was spelled "Deadmarch". It was later corrected, marking the first correction on the Cup.