Biden charging Secret Service for cottage rental

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Biden charging Secret Service for cottage rental

The U.S. Secret Service does more than protect Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. — the agency also pays him rent.

Since April, Mr. Biden has collected more than $13,000 from the agency charged with protecting him and his family for use of a rental cottage adjacent to the waterfront home he owns in a Wilmington, Del., suburb.

Mr. Biden, listed not as vice president in federal purchasing documents but as a “vendor,” is eligible for up to $66,000 by the time the government contract expires in the fall of 2013, the records show.

Officials say the arrangement came about when a previous tenant moved out of the cottage and the Secret Service moved in.

Edwin M. Donovan, special agent in charge at the Secret Service's Office of Government and Public Affairs in Washington, said the agency pays $2,200 in rent per-month, the same amount a previous tenant had paid before moving out.

He said the close location provides a level of security for the Biden family the agency might not have had otherwise. Asked if the Secret Service typically pays rent to the people it protects, he said, “It’s a rental property so we pay rent there.”

Taxpayer watchdogs say the Secret Service should do everything it can to protect Mr. Biden, but they wonder whether he should be collecting rent from the agency while it’s doing its job.

“He should be afforded every single protection available to him and his family, as should every vice president and president,” said Leslie Paige, spokeswoman for the Washington-based Citizens Against Government Waste.

“But this arrangement seems bizarre to me,” she added. “You’d think the vice president, who shepherded the deficit committee, would think twice about charging the Secret Service rent. Why would he need the money? I don’t get it.”

According to Mr. Biden’s office, the vice president’s mother lived in the cottage until she died in January 2010. At that time, the Secret Service had been renting properties in the Wilmington area for agents who were providing a protective presence at Mr. Biden’s personal residence.

Mr. Biden later asked the Secret Service if the agency wanted to rent the cottage property, but the Secret Service declined and Mr. Biden rented it instead to a private tenant, according to the vice president's office. But almost a year later, when that tenant moved out, the Secret Service approached Mr. Biden about renting the cottage.

“The cottage was an existing rental property at the time the Secret Service signed its lease,” said Kendra Barkoff, a spokeswoman for Mr. Biden.

Last year, Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill, reported earning $379,178, including $11,000 in income from the cottage, according to the Bidens’ tax return. The Bidens did not list any rental income for 2009.

The Secret Service was the contracting agency on the two purchase orders so far that have paid Mr. Biden $13,200 combined for use of his cottage.

The first purchase order to Mr. Biden, for $2,200, was signed April 1, and the second, for $11,000, was signed June 2. The records both list Mr. Biden by name as the vendor under a section of the purchase order called “contractor information.” The purchase order describes Mr. Biden as a sole proprietor with no employees and no annual revenue.

The Washington Times inquired about the rental arrangement after Mr. Biden’s name appeared as a vendor in federal spending records. As the vendor on a fixed-price contract, Mr. Biden technically now is a federal contractor.

He’s been outspoken in calling for greater accountability in federal contracts. When Mr. Biden and President Obama launched the “Campaign to Cut Waste” last month, Mr. Biden said, “The President and I are committed to changing the way government works and we are stepping up the hunt for misspent dollars.”

During the presidential transition, Mr. Biden and Mr. Obama pledged to end the abuse of no-bid contracting and require competitive bidding on nearly all contract orders for more than $25,000 across the federal government.

Though the overall rental contract has a total value of up to $66,000, the agreement was approved through simplified acquisition procedures that do not require bidding.

“To an outside observer who pays the taxes that help fund protective services, this might seem like an odd arrangement, but apparently there’s some law or administrative procedure that facilitates it,” said Pete Sepp, vice president of the National Taxpayers Union in Alexandria, which monitors federal spending.

Mr. Sepp also had a thought on what Mr. Biden could do with the rent money he collects from the Secret Service: “Every elected official can do the same thing average Americans can, which is to write a check to the Bureau of the Public Debt to bring down the national debt.”

The Secret Service, an agency within the Department of Homeland Security, is required by law to ensure the safety of current and former national leaders and their families, such as the president, past presidents, vice presidents and presidential candidates.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Pretty sure that's normal for people housing USSS agents on their property.

metallikat87

Dec 14, 2006
Oklahoma
i dont see any problem with this at all, if they want to use his rental property they pay for it. seems pretty simple
especially considering theyre paying the same amount for rent as the previous tenants

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Maybe a little hypocritical considering all the campaign talk, but nothing improper in itself. I've given up expecting these people to do anything differently, despite all the claims they made.

If anything, Barry would be charging $4400 a month.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Looks kinda weird, is perfectly ok.

OTOH (yes, I'm beating this horse to death again...) if the shoe had been on the other foot, the libs would be screaming up a storm about this.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't really see a problem here either. They paid the same as the last tenant, and he would otherwise be loosing a portion of his income if they moved in for free. I don't think tried to influence their decision for his own good... they declined the first time and another tenant moved in.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
I bet the Secret Service got a good discount on their Bush ranch residence house by helping with the brush clearing.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
if the shoe had been on the other foot, the libs would be screaming up a storm about this.
I'm sure you have no problem posting a link proving that. My Google search merely brought up some huffing over Clinton's charging rent to the SS. Nothing Bush/Cheney/Reagan related to be found.

Oh and I found why this became such a heated issue in the last few hours

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I'm sure you have no problem posting a link proving that. My Google search merely brought up some huffing over Clinton's charging rent to the SS. Nothing Bush/Cheney/Reagan related to be found.
That's because Republicans wouldn't stoop low enough to charge the SS rent.:action-sm

Edit: Just a question, but is it unusual for the VPs to not live in the official residency?

VMS

Apr 26, 2006
Edit: Just a question, but is it unusual for the VPs to not live in the official residency?
Biden officially lives at the Naval Observatory (where every VP lives), I'm sure. But he probably gets out to Delaware pretty often, especially since it's so close to DC. During Bush's presidency, there were probably a handful of Secret Service personnel at his ranch 24/7, as there are now. There are probably a handful of guys at the Obama's residence back in Chicago, too.

VP Biden's home needs to be watched full time, whether he's there or not, so this makes excellent security practice.

VMS

Apr 26, 2006

Oh and I found why this became such a heated issue in the last few hours

Oooooooooh! Screaming up a storm indeed, Mayr! Really!

Troll.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Biden officially lives at the Naval Observatory (where every VP lives), I'm sure. But he probably gets out to Delaware pretty often, especially since it's so close to DC. During Bush's presidency, there were probably a handful of Secret Service personnel at his ranch 24/7, as there are now. There are probably a handful of guys at the Obama's residence back in Chicago, too.

VP Biden's home needs to be watched full time, whether he's there or not, so this makes excellent security practice.
Makes sense.

No worse than claiming "Lie-berals are 10x worse" with nothing to back it up......
Mayr you either have a pretty good point here, or a very bad one. By saying Reagan/Chaney/Bush were never criticized for charging the SS rent because you can't find anything about it online, you're possibly missing a very large point. Perhaps they simply never did charge the SS for rent. Maybe the SS never resided in any of their properties, or perhaps Bush let them stay on his ranch for free (I wouldn't doubt it).

With how much Bush/Chaney were attacked, it's safe to say that if they were charging them rent, we would have heard about it.

I already said I don't have a problem with this, but if the last administration was doing it, we absolutely would have heard about it.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The only person who has mentioned them recently is you. Get over it.
From the comment thread on this very story.

Nancy Reagan bemoaned PUBLICLY that the WH dinnerware was goodwill quality. The Nations grade school children started a campaign to collect PENNIES to buy the WH a new Dinner-Service set for 100 people.
It took over a year to collect enough to satisfy Nancy.

WHERE ARE THOS EDISHES TODAY...?

Nancy & Ronnie liked them SO MUCH that
they TOOK THEM with them WHEN THEY LEFT THE WH.

Charges were considered but dropped when the GOP controlled Justice Dept. back burnered the deal for over 3 years,
as not a prudent use of TAXPAYER funds.

The Reagan Legacy..
"IF it takes a BLOODBATH (of the nations youth) then let's get it over with!"
The Pennies or blood of our youth, it was ALL THE SAME to the Reagans!
That's just the first of 68 pages of this shit.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
The only person who has mentioned them recently is you. Get over it.

You people are obsessed with Halliburton, and you can't even say one thing that Halliburton does without first looking it up on Wikipedia.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Mayr you either have a pretty good point here, or a very bad one. By saying Reagan/Chaney/Bush were never criticized for charging the SS rent because you can't find anything about it online, you're possibly missing a very large point. Perhaps they simply never did charge the SS for rent. Maybe the SS never resided in any of their properties, or perhaps Bush let them stay on his ranch for free (I wouldn't doubt it).

With how much Bush/Chaney were attacked, it's safe to say that if they were charging them rent, we would have heard about it.

I already said I don't have a problem with this, but if the last administration was doing it, we absolutely would have heard about it.
According to Snopes, it is standard practice for the Secret Service to pay for space used, at a government prevailing rate. Oh, and also according to Snopes, The Secret Service provided round-the-clock coverage to a house owned by Reagan that he didn't even live in anymore. OUTRAGE!!!!!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/landlord.asp

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
You people are obsessed with Halliburton, and you can't even say one thing that Halliburton does without first looking it up on Wikipedia.
Anyone paying attention to last year's BP spill knows one of the things Halliburton does and how "well" they do it.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
That's because Republicans wouldn't stoop low enough to charge the SS rent.:action-sm
Sounds mighty communal of them...:icon_cool

Well, Cheney had a special "lair" that he hung out in the last few years of his vice presidency. Are there a lot of caves in DC? :icon_mrgr

And isn't Wilmington DE a few hours from DC? I'd imagine he might spend his weekends there but the logistics of having to be in DC would be kind of a pain in the ass, even for a big fan of the Amtrak.

Oooooooooh! Screaming up a storm indeed, Mayr! Really!

Troll.
It got top billing right under the debt ceiling stuff on Drudge. Same with Fox News.

Much ado about nothing really. He didn't charge them a penny more than the previous private tenants. They'd have to pay rent somewhere anyway while guarding the VP and it actually probably saves them money with them being so close like that rather than staying at separate hotel rooms or rental properties nearby.

Not to mention it's more secure so probably saves money there as well. At least with them renting directly from the VP there's more "accountability" rather than some cronie that has property up there just billing the federal government whatever they feel like.

The correlation with the Crawford Ranch thing is different, I doubt the SS paid to stay on the guest house there if it has it. That's different than an entirely separate property that has its own mortgage, taxes, utilities, and upkeep.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Sounds mighty communal of them...:icon_cool

Well, Cheney had a special "lair" that he hung out in the last few years of his vice presidency. Are there a lot of caves in DC? :icon_mrgr

And isn't Wilmington DE a few hours from DC? I'd imagine he might spend his weekends there but the logistics of having to be in DC would be kind of a pain in the ass, even for a big fan of the Amtrak.

It got top billing right under the debt ceiling stuff on Drudge. Same with Fox News.

Much ado about nothing really. He didn't charge them a penny more than the previous private tenants. They'd have to pay rent somewhere anyway while guarding the VP and it actually probably saves them money with them being so close like that rather than staying at separate hotel rooms or rental properties nearby.

Not to mention it's more secure so probably saves money there as well. At least with them renting directly from the VP there's more "accountability" rather than some cronie that has property up there just billing the federal government whatever they feel like.

The correlation with the Crawford Ranch thing is different, I doubt the SS paid to stay on the guest house there if it has it. That's different than an entirely separate property that has its own mortgage, taxes, utilities, and upkeep.

Here is the thing if it was a Republican charging the Secret Service, you and would be crying like a little girl with a skinned knee

Little Barry said his administration would be different