Biggest Superbowl Upset ever.

PMB917

Black Earl fan since day one
Oct 4, 2004
Peabody MA
Again, I think they missed the boat on this one...How cant it be in 2002, when the Pats beat the Rams. You're talking about a nobody team, who loses its quarterback (Bledsoe) and best receiver (Terry Glen), and had pretty much no running game, and they beat the "greatest show on turf"? Like Ronnie said, the Jets were alot better than anyone gave them credit for, so I cant count that one. That pats team was a bunch of nobodies that the coaching staff somehow got to beat the team who had the greatest offense the league saw in a long time.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The 2001 Pats probably was the biggest upset, but considering it was the start of a Dynasty it will always be 'underrated' in terms of great upsets. The Pats had a great defense that year and a mediocre offense that started to click once ol' Gorgeous Tom got in there.

Here's the top 5 upsets in terms of the point spread heading into the game:

1) Jets over Colts (-17) I still think this is the biggest upset. The Jets defense was gad-awful. It is truly amazing that they were able to shut the Colts down. Broadway Joe was sweet and all, but that Colts team had a huge point differential - 258, a record I think still might stand to this day. Easily the most dominant team of that era.

2) Pats over Rams (-14) Again, in hindsight this doesn't look like much of an upset, but it was pretty unexpected at the time, considering the Pats had to invent a new rule to back into the game in the first place.

3) Broncos over Packers (-12) This is one of the most retarded spreads in Super Bowl history. It was based on the Broncos' performance in Super Bowls from 8-10 years prior. The 1997 Broncos had a far superior offense and a solid defense, and could have actually been slight favorites heading into this game. Ponderous...

4) Chiefs over Vikings (-10) Another retarded spread. The Vikings had a great defense and Fran Tarkington, but the Chiefs were almost as good on both sides of the ball, and were definitely ahead of the game in the coaching dept.

5) Giants over Bills (-7) An appropriate spread, but I don't consider this an upset at all. Go figure. While the Bills had the better team by a good margin, nobody thought Levy was even half the coach Parcells was. Sure enough, Parcells outcoached Levy every second of this game and still almost lost.

PMB917

Black Earl fan since day one
Oct 4, 2004
Peabody MA
2) Pats over Rams (-14) Again, in hindsight this doesn't look like much of an upset, but it was pretty unexpected at the time, considering the Pats had to invent a new rule to back into the game in the first place.
If you're refering the the "tuck" rule, it wasnt new. The ref was going according to the correct long standing rule.

MilkmanDan

Uncontrollable Urge
Jan 13, 2003
Philly
I just cant see it.
I cant believe the giants are in the superbowl either so hey... its a great season for them regardless of what happens.

When Tom Brady was asked who gave them the hardest game of the season "Philadelphia".

Kind of a smack at NY

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
It'll be 08' Giants in a few weeks:rolleyes:

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Imagine that, a Pats fan wanting to commandeer another distinction.

The 2001 Pats were underdogs, but nowhere near the Namath Jets.

You have the best team ever put on a field this year, isn't that enough for you people? You have to rewrite history too?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Hard to say.

I'm sure the family of the murdered guy was upset but the nuked game was a national tragedy.

TonyBagels

Gemutlichkeit
Feb 15, 2006
Way too f'in busy
I just cant see it.
I cant believe the giants are in the superbowl either so hey... its a great season for them regardless of what happens.

When Tom Brady was asked who gave them the hardest game of the season "Philadelphia".

Kind of a smack at NY
Oooo, and who smacked McNabb the hardest, or at least the most...The New York Football Giants. Poor Donovan couldn't even walk straight at the end of that gem.:icon_mrgr

:action-sm