Black Friday Loot

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
I don't research shit unless it's equipment I'll be using routinely.
Thought we got a great deal on a 60" Sharp to find out it doesn't support Amazon Prime, that's $373 I'll be getting back today.
I spent about five minutes looking at them and threw one the hand truck because I felt like I was wasting my time.
Umm because there's TV's with it available on..
I don't want to deal with additional remotes or setup equipment. I like to keep things simple. Another Samsung I guess because their simple tiny remote is so much better than the Dish remote or the one that came with the Sharp.
Umm...you were no help tho. It's a brand new TV, it should have the features most have imo and I'm not adding shit to it.
I'm not putting fucked up shit on my new vehicles either, I'll leave that crap for the idiots.
So returning and 60" television is easier than researching them first or plugging in another HDMI cable?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
TV manufacturers don't often keep up with updating the apps.

I have four Rokus, and a Shield. Guess what? Each one is hooked up to a smart TV except one. Why? Because the built-in apps are dogshit and again often go unsupported down the road.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

I have four Rokus, and a Shield. Guess what? Each one is hooked up to a smart TV except one. Why? Because the built-in apps are dogshit and again often go unsupported down the road.
Exactly. My LG was end of life one year after I bought it, no updates and no further app development. That's wonderful if I'm satisfied with Netflix, Youtube & Hulu, but I'm not. Nobody should be in this time when there are literally tens of thousands of developers out there cranking out amazing content for home entertainment consumption.

Pluto TV alone is worth getting a Roku or Fire TV. Can't get that on any smart TV I'm aware of.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
My LG 3D Smart TV had a shitload of apps and 3D content on it or available when I bought it a few years ago. Slowly, I’d get alerts on the screen that this app or that service was no longer going to be supported. As of right now, the only useful apps left are Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. The rest are shitty games and useless Russian tv feeds. All of the 3D content is gone. Napster Music is still available though.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
So returning and 60" television is easier than researching them first or plugging in another HDMI cable?
He's doing what my parents do. He's fighting things for the sake of fighting without realizing he's just making it harder on himself.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
My LG 3D Smart TV had a shitload of apps and 3D content on it or available when I bought it a few years ago. Slowly, I’d get alerts on the screen that this app or that service was no longer going to be supported. As of right now, the only useful apps left are Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. The rest are shitty games and useless Russian tv feeds. All of the 3D content is gone. Napster Music is still available though.
I have bunch of smart TVs. My LG 55" is the oldest, and is exactly as you described. Only app I think we've ever used on it is Netflix. My Sharp 60" is the same, only used Netflix. I got three Vizios (40, 43, and 70) which have a bunch of apps but there are no additional apps available to add. None of the apps have ever been used. However, they have that SmartCast feature where you can cast to it from other devices. I use that feature to cast Reddit streams from my tablet so I can watch football. :D

My stepdaughter left a Samsung 40" smart TV here. She didn't want it anymore so it's outside on my lanai. I do have apps set up on that - Netflix, Prime, and Spectrum TV. Samsung is the only manufacturer that has the Spectrum TV app available.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
He's doing what my parents do. He's fighting things for the sake of fighting without realizing he's just making it harder on himself.
That's my parents, especially my father, every single damn day.

This, so much this. You're always going to be better off with an aftermarket STB than a smart TVs interface. LG, Samsung et al are never going to support it like a third party device will. Same goes for commercial as residential.

Then again I'm still adding PCs to my TVs. No support issues ever.

5skin

Yes. And I don't have to go anywhere to get it done. Wife and kids were going anyway and now we don't have to deal with more stupid remotes. IDGAF what tv it is so long as it puts the shows up I wanna see. I played in the snow while they went shopping and made the return today.
BONUS: We're stocked up on vodka till the year end.

Edit: idk if we even have any HDMI cable, the only thing connected is the cable from the satellite boxes in the basement and the power. No DVR or anything else.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
This, so much this. You're always going to be better off with an aftermarket STB than a smart TVs interface. LG, Samsung et al are never going to support it like a third party device will. Same goes for commercial as residential.

Then again I'm still adding PCs to my TVs. No support issues ever.
I see the value in that. I've got an HTPC in addition to all the streaming devices.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I see the value in that. I've got an HTPC in addition to all the streaming devices.

I had an HTPC in my collection for a good while, but there were limited methods to share it out among my various devices. I ran Windows Media Center on it, had a TV tuner card installed on it, and shared it out via my Xbox 360 consoles.

Then Roku happened, and upended everything. Now I have five Rokus, aside from the couple of Fire TV devices, and can't imaging going back to the HTPC.

I started my streaming experiment with a Western Digital WDTV Live. It was lame. But it did pave the way for all these better streamers.

maz

TRueWDTer
How much fucking tv do you people watch ?
Holy Shit

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Yes. And I don't have to go anywhere to get it done. Wife and kids were going anyway and now we don't have to deal with more stupid remotes. IDGAF what tv it is so long as it puts the shows up I wanna see. I played in the snow while they went shopping and made the return today.

Edit: idk if we even have any HDMI cable, the only thing connected is the cable from the satellite boxes in the basement and the power. No DVR or anything else.
You might have gotten an inferior product but gol dern it, Big Battery ain't gonna hornswindle you with their remote control gimmick.

And how much vodka is a December's worth of vodka?

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
All of our smart TVs have either a Roku or Firestick

I don’t recall which, but I’m thinking it was the Samsung’s that don’t support Sling, and the Roku doesn’t support HBO

Can’t we all just get along?

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
How much fucking tv do you people watch ?
Holy Shit
When I'm on-call for work 24/7 every other week, there's little else that I can do when I have to hang around and be available...

MTJonny

Donator
Picked up the 512gb Note 9 and a GoPro 7.

Online only of course, a person of my stature can't be seen in an actual store.

5skin

You might have gotten an inferior product but gol dern it, Big Battery ain't gonna hornswindle you with their remote control gimmick.

And how much vodka is a December's worth of vodka?
You god damn right!

12 - 1.75l of Svedka is what she brought home.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

Dad?

5skin

He's going to send the next TV back because it doesn't have anywhere to plug in his RCA VCR. Fucking companies changing cords all the time, that's how they get you.
There's nothing connected to the TV except the Dish cable and power cord. Haven't had a DVD player for almost a decade and I can't recall the last time I've seen a VHS tape.
I like to keep things simple and don't really care about the latest greatest technology. Stuff doesn't really matter to me.