Black Mirror - BBC Series

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Has anyone else seen any of these? It's basically a twilight zone for the twitter age (sounds douchey, but it works). There's only 6 of them and they're only legally available on some DirecTV channel. I saw the first one "elsewhere" last night and I really liked it. The one I saw was about a member of the royal family who gets kidnapped and the ransom demand is for the PM to perform a deviant sex act on live TV and how the public, press and social media perceive the day and demands. Really out there and I hear it only gets better.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Seen all of them and love it. I like it so much that I started introducing it into my freshman writing class. Sometimes I use 15 Million Merits from season 1. More recently, I've been using Be Right Back from season 2. It fits perfectly into the unit on what it means to be human.

Here's a problem I have. I want to use BRB again in the spring, but I have a deaf girl in my class. All of my audio/visual materials need to have closed captioning available. Most of the stuff I use is either text based or has easy access to CC. Black Mirror, however, is not available on DVD or in a reliable format with CC. I usually just use a streaming site to show it to my students. I can't exactly send a link to a streaming site to disability services office and ask for a transcript. Any advice from you Wackbag geniuses on how to get a copy of this with CC?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I've recommended it on WB before. Season 2 was definitely not as good, but absolutely worth checking out.

Off-White-Power

High maintenance, low tolerance
May 12, 2007
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I've recommended it on WB before. Season 2 was definitely not as good, but absolutely worth checking out.
Sorry, must have missed your orig post on this. I haven't gotten that far yet but literally 5 min into the first episode I called my mother to come over to watch. She ended up staying for the first two episodes. Love it!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.screendaily.com/news/jon-hamm-to-star-in-black-mirror-feature/5078055.article

Merry Blackmas @NeonTaster @DeadHeadRedHead @DrewDown @LilJimmyRobnson

Mad Man star will be joined by Rafe Spall and Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin in feature-length special.

Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Rafe Spall (What If) and Oona Chaplin (Game of Thrones) are to co-star in a feature-length special of Charlie Brooker’s Black Mirror, set for broadcast on the UK’s Channel 4 in December.

The 90-minute seasonal special will interweave three stories of “Yuletide techno-paranoia”. It will start filming in the UK this week.

Hamm’s character appears in all three stories contained within the as yet unnamed episode.

The star of Mad Men and Million Dollar Arm said: ‘“I am beyond thrilled to be a part of the Black Mirror Christmas Special. I have been a massive fan of the show since its inception.

“Its dark humour and intelligent observation of our society and values hooked me deeply as a viewer and I’m honoured that Charlie and the rest of the creative team have asked me to participate in wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas.”

Creator Charlie Brooker said: “I’m revoltingly happy that Jon, Rafe and Oona are participating in the horrible pageant that is Black Mirror.”

Black Mirror is an anthology series which taps into contemporary unease about the modern world and paranoia about technology.

Black Mirror is produced by Barney Reisz and executive produced by Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones through their production company, House of Tomorrow, an Endemol company. The Christmas special was commissioned by Rachel Springett for Channel 4 and is directed by Carl Tibbetts.

Endemol Worldwide Distribution (EWD) holds global television distribution rights and has sold Black Mirror to broadcasters in over 80 countries including the US, China, Russia, Australia, Spain, Germany, Italy, Israel, Sweden and across Central and Eastern Europe.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Well ain't that something. I am still waiting for these episodes to be released on Region 1 DVD/BluRay so I can buy them. They are very useful in the classroom. Would love to not steal every time I show an episode.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Season 2 paled in comparison, but they set the bar so fucking high for themselves with those first 3 episodes that I don't even blame them for being unable to maintain such a high standard throughout. I still enjoyed it and will absolutely be watching.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
The thing about the pig fucking ep that bothers me is that I don't see the reactions of the Royals as realistic. Particularly the Queen.

She's old school. Delusional or not, she's of the generation that sees her role as one of sacrifice. At least that's my impression. I don't see her pushing for the PM to do something like that. It'd be a stain on her House.

I know, I know: it's irrelevant to the actual message of the ep. But it grates on me. Noblese oblige works, for values of working.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
Season 2 paled in comparison, but they set the bar so fucking high for themselves with those first 3 episodes that I don't even blame them for being unable to maintain such a high standard throughout. I still enjoyed it and will absolutely be watching.
BRB was great, but the rest of season 2 was only ok.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The thing about the pig fucking ep that bothers me is that I don't see the reactions of the Royals as realistic. Particularly the Queen.

She's old school. Delusional or not, she's of the generation that sees her role as one of sacrifice. At least that's my impression. I don't see her pushing for the PM to do something like that. It'd be a stain on her House.

I know, I know: it's irrelevant to the actual message of the ep. But it grates on me. Noblese oblige works, for values of working.
Really? To me the whole thing felt very much like a parable and had this sense of unreality throughout, so the fact that it didn't conform to how I think things would have for real didn't bother me at all. It was very Twilight Zone esque.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Really? To me the whole thing felt very much like a parable and had this sense of unreality throughout, so the fact that it didn't conform to how I think things would have for real didn't bother me at all. It was very Twilight Zone esque.
And I totally get that, and even agree. But for some reason (maybe because it's a BBC production), it still hits a false note for me.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
That is great news. Thanks!

Is it only limited to this month?
I don't know how they decide how long stuff is up. I know it isn't, but it's arbitrary. Some things have been there for years, others for a few months, still others come and go at random.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Cool first episode. Part of me was hoping that instead of an actual pig, they used a fat girl and didn't acknowledge it.

DrewDown

All are welcome
May 3, 2010
Ohio
What does she do during a discussion or lecture?
That was last spring semester. She used an interpreter.

Wish Netflix had black mirror back then. Could have used it, since the subtitles are accurate.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I had heard of this, but it's been particularly niggardly trying to get it through the usual means. Thank goodness Netflix comes to the rescue. Loving the first episode so far!

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
That was last spring semester. She used an interpreter.

Wish Netflix had black mirror back then. Could have used it, since the subtitles are accurate.
How much time was spent on Agent Carter's tits after viewing BRB? Better be an entire semester.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Christ, season 1 episode 2 depressed the fuck out of me... So damn close to what we're seeing right the fuck now. "Reality" TV all the rage, everybody mindlessly eating whatever shit is being pumped out by the government, the entertainment and mainstream media, selling ones soul for their 15 minutes of fame, literally whoring out people live for the world to critique.... goddamn, that shit hit close to home.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Christ, season 1 episode 2 depressed the fuck out of me... So damn close to what we're seeing right the fuck now. "Reality" TV all the rage, everybody mindlessly eating whatever shit is being pumped out by the government, the entertainment and mainstream media, selling ones soul for their 15 minutes of fame, literally whoring out people live for the world to critique.... goddamn, that shit hit close to home.
But here's the really depressing part they leave out...they say there are more important things, more "real" things...but those "real" things are also a lie. Because if those real things are so fucking great, we all would spend more time on the real and not watching terrible reality tv or whatever.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Plowed through all 7 episodes last week. Good stuff.

I kind of want to try out the horse story. If it works cool, if I get called out by a girl who watched the episode, even better

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Only watched the first season and enjoying it so far. Watching ep2 & 3 almost makes me glad I might not live long enough to see how awful we will become with being so immersed in technology.

As for ep1 this is all I could think of when this scene happened: