Movie Black Widow - Scar-Jo finally gets her turn! 5/1/20

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Cate Shortland, director of a couple episodes of SMILF, will be directing from a script by Jac Schaeffer, the award winning screenwriter of...an Olaf short.

Joining Scar-Jo is an attractive lass with a funny name!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...sford&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Florence Pugh in Talks to Join Scarlett Johansson in 'Black Widow'

MARCH 18, 2019 4:00pm PT by Borys Kit

Rising actress Florence Pugh is in talks to star opposite Scarlett Johansson in Black Widow, Marvel’s stand-alone feature on the Avengers heroine.

Cate Shortland, the Australian filmmaker perhaps best known for the Nazi drama Lore, is directing the project, which is scheduled to shoot in June in London.

Plot details are being kept behind the Iron Curtain, but it will be an internationally set story centering on Natasha Romanoff, a spy and assassin who grew up being trained by the KGB before breaking from their grasp and becoming an agent of SHIELD and Avenger.

Pugh will play a spy on the same level as Romanoff, likely her moral opposite.

Jac Schaeffer wrote the most recent draft for Black Widow.

Pugh, repped by WME and Bloom Hergott, already has spycraft on her résumé, having starred as an undercover agent on AMC’s miniseries The Little Drummer Girl. She also appeared in The Outlaw King with Chris Pine and the much-praised family drama Fighting With My Family.

Pugh's upcoming releases are also noteworthy: she has a part in Greta Gerwig’s Little Women, whose all-star cast includes Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson and Meryl Streep, and she leads the cast of Midsommar, the much-anticipated horror movie from Ari Aster, the filmmaker behind Hereditary. The latter pic is set to open Aug. 9.

Marvel had no comment.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot in the Galaxy
Pugh will play a spy on the same level as Romanoff, likely her moral opposite.
I can't tell if that makes her good or bad.

Actually, here's the better question. Do you want this to be/do you think this will be a prequel to Avengers 1, set between A1 and... let's say A2, or after End Game?

I was going to say Pugh is too young to be part of the entire Cold War scene, but they can freeze her. But do you really want to put her up against a middle aged Black Widow?

Pigdango

Donator
I can't tell if that makes her good or bad.

Actually, here's the better question. Do you want this to be/do you think this will be a prequel to Avengers 1, set between A1 and... let's say A2, or after End Game?

I was going to say Pugh is too young to be part of the entire Cold War scene, but they can freeze her. But do you really want to put her up against a middle aged Black Widow?
I don’t want this to be a prequel, but I assume that’s what we are getting. Scar Jo is only 35. Do they need to de-age her?

LiddyRules

I don’t want this to be a prequel, but I assume that’s what we are getting. Scar Jo is only 35. Do they need to de-age her?
Serious answer. Or scenario questions.

If they make it a straight prequel, will it be during the SHIELD days or during the Operation: Red Sparrow days? Because both seem fairly far removed. I'm assuming it would be in the Russian days though because SHIELD seems a little played out? At least the Avengers 1-era SHIELD, which is when it would be set around. And I don't see them as doing some generic, uneventful spy movie nor a movie where people would be like "where's Fury or Coulson or Arrow?"

Do you think they'd make her a cuck? Where it splits between prequel (light de-aging) and modern day? Where they were friends during ORS, and you know the rest. I can't think of a good reason or villain who'd unfreeze her, and after the events of IW and End Game, wouldn't Hydra II seem a little anti-climactic for her?

Pigdango

Donator
Serious answer. Or scenario questions.

If they make it a straight prequel, will it be during the SHIELD days or during the Operation: Red Sparrow days? Because both seem fairly far removed. I'm assuming it would be in the Russian days though because SHIELD seems a little played out? At least the Avengers 1-era SHIELD, which is when it would be set around. And I don't see them as doing some generic, uneventful spy movie nor a movie where people would be like "where's Fury or Coulson or Arrow?"

Do you think they'd make her a cuck? Where it splits between prequel (light de-aging) and modern day? Where they were friends during ORS, and you know the rest. I can't think of a good reason or villain who'd unfreeze her, and after the events of IW and End Game, wouldn't Hydra II seem a little anti-climactic for her?
I would be shocked if at least two of Hawkeye, Bucky, Fury, and Coulson didn’t show up. I don’t really see how you can make an interesting Black Widow movie without SHIELD.

The problem with that, and now I’m sitting here thinking the same thing about Captain Marvel, is we were told SHIELD was infiltrated by Hydra pretty much from the beginning. So how do that all work?

The problem with that, and now I’m sitting here thinking the same thing about Captain Marvel, is we were told SHIELD was infiltrated by Hydra pretty much from the beginning. So how do that all work?
Just call Ed Brubaker and let him write the story for you.

He created Winter Soldier, and he's one of the best comics writers I've come across, aaaaaannndddd he's writing for Westworld now..... well there goes that idea.

LiddyRules

I would be shocked if at least two of Hawkeye, Bucky, Fury, and Coulson didn’t show up. I don’t really see how you can make an interesting Black Widow movie without SHIELD.

It didn't bother me in Captain Marvel because that movie took place over like a day and a half, most of which was spent in hiding.

Unless you want to say "how come Hydra didn't come out in full force to steal the engine," in which case I'd respond "either (a) they were waiting for it to work before taking it or (b) they were waiting for everything to fall into place before coming out in full force. Besides, if you spent the time asking yourself 'why didn't Hydra do this when? why didn't Hydra do that when?' you'll drive yourself into a madness loop and nothing will make sense. Or maybe Hydra did take Skrull DNA and Skrull bitty bits. What do we know what they were working on? Maybe they couldn't have found a use for it. Or maybe they did. I don't have their dossiers."

That being said, I definitely felt like there was more the MCU could have done with 10 Rings/Hydra, but I can understand why it fell by the wayside.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
If I were to guess, if it's a prequel, I'd go back to that line "I've got red in my Ledger."

I imagine she would do something that caused a crises of conscience and she goes to Shield to try to set it right. This other chick would be her former partner.

Pigdango

Donator
If I were to guess, if it's a prequel, I'd go back to that line "I've got red in my Ledger."
See it’s this kind of thinking that lead us to Rogue One and Solo. You can’t make a movie out of a single line of dialogue, no matter how good it is. In fact, the better the line is, the LESS likely you’ll get a good movie out of it.

Why? Because the line already tells the entire story, as does the one about Hawkeye having to make a different call. That’s the story. There’s no need to show her getting red in her ledger or Hawkeye being sent to kill her and making a different call. There’s no need to show her confrontation with Bucky that left her scarred. We know those stories. Tell us something about Natasha that we don’t already know.

LiddyRules

I imagine she would do something that caused a crises of conscience and she goes to Shield to try to set it right. This other chick would be her former partner.
That was in reference to her period.

I say it's a prequel/sequel based on that premise.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I want this movie to be full cosmic/super-natural. Black Widow becomes the Living Tribunal level shit.

BIV

See it’s this kind of thinking that lead us to Rogue One and Solo. You can’t make a movie out of a single line of dialogue, no matter how good it is. In fact, the better the line is, the LESS likely you’ll get a good movie out of it.

Why? Because the line already tells the entire story, as does the one about Hawkeye having to make a different call. That’s the story. There’s no need to show her getting red in her ledger or Hawkeye being sent to kill her and making a different call. There’s no need to show her confrontation with Bucky that left her scarred. We know those stories. Tell us something about Natasha that we don’t already know.
To be clear, it's not what I want, just what I expect.

Frankly, I don't want a prequel and I don't see how this character works as a solo movie without it being one.

LiddyRules

To be clear, it's not what I want, just what I expect.

Frankly, I don't want a prequel and I don't see how this character works as a solo movie without it being one.
Let me throw another thing out there. We probably won't know anything until Endgame, but does this or should this tie into the greater MCU and if so, how? Because starting with Cap 1, the first set of Marvel movies were building towards Infinity War. Will the first movies following Endgame try to be more standalone as the MCU figures its next phase or will they already start building towards the Next Big Thing? Because that might affect how they approach Black Widow.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Let me throw another thing out there. We probably won't know anything until Endgame, but does this or should this tie into the greater MCU and if so, how? Because starting with Cap 1, the first set of Marvel movies were building towards Infinity War. Will the first movies following Endgame try to be more standalone as the MCU figures its next phase or will they already start building towards the Next Big Thing? Because that might affect how they approach Black Widow.
I think it's going to be building toward NBT. Assuming a fair amount of decimation to the Avengers in Endgame, and with the anticipation that they'll be putting the avengers as they are on the shelf for a while, it might be something that still happens 'present day' where she's going back to being an operative in whatever post-endgame world we end up with.

BIV

I think it's going to be building toward NBT. Assuming a fair amount of decimation to the Avengers in Endgame, and with the anticipation that they'll be putting the avengers as they are on the shelf for a while, it might be something that still happens 'present day' where she's going back to being an operative in whatever post-endgame world we end up with.
NBT?

@LiddyRules

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, but I expect they are going to start laying groundwork on Secret War and the Kree....though that sounds a bit too similar to Hydra in Shield.

They could, certainly, Phase One the new Black Widow movie and have no tie in except the post-credits scene. I'm not sure they would even have a solid plan yet until they figure out how the Fox properties tie in.

But, if you are doing Secret War, you need a bigger cast. And that means they need the X-men.

Pigdango

Donator
I’ve long had what I will call a fear/theory that Black Widow won’t be the only prequel. Spidey 2 could be an Infinity War prequel, as could Doctor Strange 2. Black Panther 2 could take place between the Avengers movies and deal with Shuri fighting off challenges to the throne. Guardians 3 seems destined to be a “weve been undusted, now we gotta save Gamora.” And of course I still have a theory that there will be a Thor 4 where Valkyrie, Korg, Sif, and Miek have to find a way to “rescue” Thor, Loki, Heimdall and the rest of the Asgardians Thanos killed.

That’s a lot of treading water right there.