Movie Blade Runner 2049 _ Directed by Denis Villeneuve _ 10.6.17

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
OK. What. The. Fuck? I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to remakes, but Blade Runner?! That shit is as relevant today as it was in 1982. It is virtually perfect. What exactly are they expecting to achieve by this? I mean, getting the original director is nice and all, but I doubt even Ridley Scott will be able to come close to what Ridley Scott did.

Ridley Scott to Direct New 'Blade Runner' Movie

Back in March, Blade Runner fans feared for the fate of the cult classic's hallowed name, after a production company bought the rights to spin off the film. So let's hope this offers some reassurance: Ridley Scott has signed on to direct and produce the new installment.

Cinaphiles have a long wait ahead, though — the screenwriters have not even been hired yet. One of the producers, Andrew Kosove, told the Los Angeles Times that 2014 will be the earliest possible date it will hit theaters. And it is still not known whether the new film will be a sequel, prequel or completely different spinoff. While the rights deal prohibits a remake, it allows the new version to build off scenes from the 1982 original and use material from the Philip K. Dick's source novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Blade Runner is about a police officer, played by Harrison Ford, hunting down rogue androids who look just like humans on the dark and gritty streets of futuristic Los Angeles. It takes place in 2019, when the dystopian city sees flying cars, lots of rain and outfits that still have a strong 80s vibe.
But neither Ford nor his character will be returning for the new movie. "If you're asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford, the answer is no," Kosove said. "This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting."

Audiences will be able to get a taste of a different Scott-directed revival when Prometheus is released next year — it is a followup to his sci-fi horror Alien, in 3D no less.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/19/ridley-scott-to-direct-new-blade-runner-movie/

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Don't worry, this movie is never going to be made

Someday there may be an adaption of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Don't worry, this movie is never going to be made

Someday there may be an adaption of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
They could do that and nobody would ever recognize it as Bladerunner if they changed the name of the characters. The screenplay was almost a complete rewrite.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Um...it's not a remake, it's a sequel. The skuttlebutt is that it will not involve any of the characters from the last film, it'll just be in a same world.

And since Ridley Scott has signed on to do it...who knows? Could be good.

bb1mobile

wackbag's special mod
Wackbag Staff
Jul 10, 2007
Just wandering around
Um...it's not a remake, it's a sequel. The skuttlebutt is that it will not involve any of the characters from the last film, it'll just be in a same world.

Exactly.

I'll wait before rushing to judgement.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

Exactly.

I'll wait before rushing to judgement.
The only problem is that Blade Runner was SOOO good that this movie needs to be pretty amazing to not seem like it sucks in comparison. That is a tall order. If he pulls it off, I will give him major, major props.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
The only problem is that Blade Runner was SOOO good that this movie needs to be pretty amazing to not seem like it sucks in comparison. That is a tall order. If he pulls it off, I will give him major, major props.
This pretty much.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Think about it this way - Probably 99% of ALL movies of ANY genre suck in comparison to Blade Runner, so the fact that it's Ridley Scott directing a similar story using modern technology gives it a better chance of not sucking than most movies.

I mostly view this in the same way as I do Martin Scorsese doing another movie about gangsters. It will probably be pretty good, even if it's not as good as Goodfellas.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Think about it this way - Probably 99% of ALL movies of ANY genre suck in comparison to Blade Runner, so the fact that it's Ridley Scott directing a similar story using modern technology gives it a better chance of not sucking than most movies.
I'll accept that, aside from the "modern technology" part. Blade Runner does not look dated AT ALL even 30 years after the fact. At least not to me.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I'll accept that, aside from the "modern technology" part. Blade Runner does not look dated AT ALL even 30 years after the fact. At least not to me.
I agree, but that's one of the movies that might actually benefit from being filmed in 3D

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Just remember: "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long"

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I believe Ridly Scott has stated that Deckard was a replicant
It is inconclusive. The book offers some evidence, as do different cuts of the movie. I even heard a theory that Deckard was a Nexus-7, which meant he could pass the Voight-Kampff test. I kinda like that it is inconclusive, though. It makes his character more interesting.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
It is inconclusive. The book offers some evidence, as do different cuts of the movie. I even heard a theory that Deckard was a Nexus-7, which meant he could pass the Voight-Kampff test. I kinda like that it is inconclusive, though. It makes his character more interesting.

I consider Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Blade Runner to be completely separate stories - kinda like Red Dragon & Manhunter (yea I know a Red Dragon movie was later made.) So something in the book isn't necessarily cannon in the movie.

In the Final Cut, Deckard looks at photographs, has a dream about the unicorn & Gaff makes the origami unicorn so he knew what "memories" Deckard had, and says to him "You've done a man's job, sir, but are you sure you are a man?" & "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
This is where I am. I'm definitely more annoyed by this than when Prometheus was alleged to be an Alien prequel. I also think Blade Runner holds up incredibly well visually. And, like I said with Prometheus, since Ridley Scott hasn't made a really good movie other than those two, I don't want to see the original cheapened.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
This is where I am. I'm definitely more annoyed by this than when Prometheus was alleged to be an Alien prequel. I also think Blade Runner holds up incredibly well visually. And, like I said with Prometheus, since Ridley Scott hasn't made a really good movie other than those two, I don't want to see the original cheapened.

He did peak really early didn't he

I mean Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, and American Gangster were good movies they were not really good movies.

Coppola peaked early as well

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I very much respect Coppolla's more recent work. I mean it's no 70s Coppolla but his two latest films much better and more interesting than 80s and 90s Coppolla. A lot smaller, a lot more low-key, kind of art house-y.

Can't say the same for Scott.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I very much respect Coppolla's more recent work. I mean it's no 70s Coppolla but his two latest films much better and more interesting than 80s and 90s Coppolla. A lot smaller, a lot more low-key, kind of art house-y.

Can't say the same for Scott.

Ridley Scott has just been a machine the last 15 years or so, turning out a movie a year

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
What bothers me though is that the visual style and tone me be hard to replicate. The original cinematographer, Jordan Cronennweth died, But his son, Jeff who was the dp on fightclub could be a fine replacement.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
like there isn't enough blade runner films (there's something like 4 different cuts of the film; I think it's original, international cut, directors cut, and Final cut which is the best.)

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
like there isn't enough blade runner films (there's something like 4 different cuts of the film; I think it's original, international cut, directors cut, and Final cut which is the best.)
No, there isn't,sir.

Poon Slayer

Reissued Regret
Dec 11, 2009
Chattanoogy
I'll see how Prometheus is first, but I'm expecting average at best for both ideas.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Let's put it this way, it cant be any worse than the Sidequel to Blade Runner. You know the movie Soldier set in the same Blade Runner Universe.