Blockbuster Rentals missing features

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
I went to Blockbuster last night and picked up "Bridesmaids" on Blu-Ray for the wife (I wanted to see it too..so there) because I've been abusing the all inclusive deal there for games. When I put the disk in, I went to select the "unrated" version. A pop up came up saying "This disk is for rental purposes and contains the feature film only. To enjoy all the additional features, purchase a copy of the movie". None of the additional features would work. The deleted scenes, gag reel, making of...nothing would work.

Is this a new thing that's going on? I haven't gotten a movie from Blockbuster in over a year and the last one had all of the additional features working. I was going to pick up the Star Wars Blu-rays, mostly for the additional stuff, but if I can't watch it, why bother? Are the disks that Blockbuster sells used going to be marked "Feature Film Only"?

This sucks if this is the direction rentals are going to go. The studio had no problem making the coming attractions and commercials almost mandatory viewing.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Its been this way for a while on most of the new release BluRays I've gotten from Netflix and RedBox

Its the studios that are doing this (probably under pressure from the bigger retailers Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc...) as Netflix, BlockBuster, RedBox, etc... would probably prefer and additional few hours of content that make it more likely that'll you keep the disc an extra day to two.

I've also noticed that the initial price on new BluRays is often over $20 - Amazon pre order price on Captain America & Green Lantern is $24.99 and 3D versions are even higher

The additional content on the Star Wars BluRays is on separate discs, except for the commentary tracks

Poon Slayer

Reissued Regret
Dec 11, 2009
Chattanoogy
Yeah, the featureless DVDs have been that way for a while.

The real question is, you still have a Blockbuster store? All we have are those Blockbuster Express & Redbox kiosks.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
Amazingly enough some stores just refuse to die. There's one that just won't go out of business and I've been monitoring it like a vulture waiting for it to go oob.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah, the featureless DVDs have been that way for a while.

The real question is, you still have a Blockbuster store? All we have are those Blockbuster Express & Redbox kiosks.
We still have one. It drove all but one of the mom and pops out of business. As far as I know, its the only one within 50 miles of here. All the others went out of business. They were almost choked out, but then Netflix fucked up and people started going back. Going into a store, browsing through the DVD's and dealing with a checkout person just seems so "old-timey" to me. I didn't bother renting games there because it was $9.00 for one game. Now that Dish Network bought them, they are running a promotion of "all-access" for $7.49 for the first month and $14.00 after that. You can exchange any game or movie one at a time.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Great move by the studios... continue to alienate people who are doing the right thing and actually renting your movies.

It's not like there's any other way they can see it for free.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Great move by the studios... continue to alienate people who are doing the right thing and actually renting your movies.

It's not like there's any other way they can see it for free.
Agreed. Then they wonder why people have no problems illegally downloading movies and don't consider it stealing.