Blockbuster to stock Blu-ray; Starz/Anchor Bay go Blu

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Blockbuster has made a decision that Blu-ray will be their HD standard as they've decided to stock it in all of its corporate owned store. They'll also be stocking HD DVD in roughly 250 of its stores nationwide also.

This comes right as Starz and Anchor Bay have announced they will be publishing their movies in Blu-ray with no plans for HD DVD support.

Looks like this war is starting to tilt one way.

If anyone is interested there is a sale on a decent 40" LCD with a PS3 with a game and a movie for 2k at Best Buy.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Blockbuster has made a decision that Blu-ray will be their HD standard as they've decided to stock it in all of its corporate owned store. They'll also be stocking HD DVD in roughly 250 of its stores nationwide also.

This comes right as Starz and Anchor Bay have announced they will be publishing their movies in Blu-ray with no plans for HD DVD support.

If anyone is interested there is a sale on a decent 40" LCD with a PS3 with a game and a movie for 2k at Best Buy.
You really root for that PS3 don't you?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
You really root for that PS3 don't you?
It's just so cool to see the format taking off after so many 360 fanboys got so worked up about how it was going to fail. Between this and MS finally admitting they screwed up the 360s internals it's just great.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
in other news, the new adobe production software is only blu-ray. No hd-dvd.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
:greyalien:

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well Blu-Ray was the only logical route because of its capacity. HD-DVD doesn't match that capacity and a major engine, the Xbox360, isn't equiped to play HD-DVDs and that would have pushed their format.

They just threw some shit out there and let it die.

Blu-Ray was a little behind on the sales of players when they first hit the market because they cost more than HD-DVD players but they jumped ahead when the PS3 was released.

Gamers may not want to admit it, but Blu-Ray is a MAJOR incentive for people to buy the PS3. There are theses ignorant fucking children running around saying, " Well I don't buy gaming systems for multimedia capability, I buy it for gaming," but the majority of people look to see what all they get with their money in a single purchase when it's not Daddy's money they're spending.

I sure as hell wasn't going to buy a game system that has a ridiculously high failure rate and can basically only play MP3s aside from games. I held back and put my money into something that came equipped to play HD movies, has an internet browser(with real functionality), Bluetooth, memory card readers, HDMI jack, Wireless internet connection, remote access (PSP), music archiving, video archiving, photo gallery and of course the wonderfully detailed games.

"360 has 'exclusive games' maaaaaaaaaaaaaan," isn't a real argument. Most games aren't exclusive and for those few games you like would you rather have a game console that can't do fuck other than playing games after you drop $400 for it? Good buy man.

Blu-Ray is the way to go and I've been telling the 360/Microsoft fanboys that since its release but they just try to ignore it. Quite simply, Blu-Ray movies look fucking amazing on HDTVs and there is no substitute (like a $200 add-on optical drive to a game system).

Oh and I forgot something. Blu-Ray sells three times as many movies than HD-DVD. They have a larger market share :)

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
i don't think this is going to last to long. what happens when a customer what a movie that is just for HD DVD and is not on Blu-ray. I highly doubt blockbuster is going to throw away customers because they only have one format.
i like HD DVD just because it cheaper and well the general public does not even know what blu-ray is. HD and DVD people have heard of. I like the idea of blu-ray for data but there isn't a huge difference from HD DVD from Blu-ray.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Oh and I forgot something. Blu-Ray sells three times as many movies than HD-DVD. They have a larger market share :)
Well some weeks it's only twice as much.

But the whole thing with this war is everyone tried the same argument about Sony. Saying that since they've failed in the past, they'll fail here too. They forgot the reasons why they failed. HD DVD made all the mistakes Sony made with Beta. And Sony has been quick to correct mistakes and be a pretty solid company as of late. Even SPHE has been balls to the wall. Look at any SPHE movie made in the past few months on Blu-ray and you'll see some amazingly good HD material.

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
As long as Blockbuster keeps renting both HD DVD & Blu-ray online, I don't really give a shit what they do in their stores. If they start stocking Blu-ray discs in my local store, I'll get rid of the Blu-ray discs from my rental queue and only order HD DVD's online and then get the Blu-ray discs for free when I return the online HD DVD's to the store.

In the long run, I hope that Blu-ray is able to build the BD-J software that they have been promising because I have a lot more problems with Blu-ray titles (using the Sony BDP-S1 player) than I have had with HD DVD titles (using the Toshiba HD-A2 player).

As far as the additional space available on Blu-ray discs is concerned, so far it hasn't been a big deal. Until the Pirates of the Caribbean discs came out on Blu-ray, the best high definition DVD, as far as picture quality is concerned, was King Kong on HD DVD. That movie is over 3 hours long. So, as far as I'm concerned, the additional space on Blu-ray discs will really benefit computer data storage applications more than it will home video applications.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Well the only flaw they had with BD-J so far was with unpatched players. Worked fine after that. The IME stuff is all but finalized. The BD+ stuff is finalized. You never had to boil your HD DVD's though? ;)

King Kong was a real anomaly considering it was one of the early batches of HD DVD's and only a few titles appeared near as good. The recent one from Uni are just god awful.

Capt.Quint

ANDREW DICE GAY
Jul 26, 2005
Fort Pierce,FL
Anyone who thinks that Blu Ray and HD-DVDs are going to be relevant in 5-10 years are out of their fucking minds. As much as it pains me to say it, the future is all about downloadable movies and movies on demand.

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
Well the only flaw they had with BD-J so far was with unpatched players. Worked fine after that. The IME stuff is all but finalized. The BD+ stuff is finalized. You never had to boil your HD DVD's though? ;)
I haven't had any problems with HD DVD's at all. I can't say the same for Blu-ray. I still can't play many of the special features on the POTC discs. I'm 2 releases behind on firmware because they fucked up the HDMI--> DVI on firmware 1.6 and didn't fix it with 2.0. The picture apparently goes black every few minutes, then requires rewinding the movie a little bit to get the picture back. So, I'm stuck on release 1.55 (which was released the same day as POTC, so that is "current" for those titles.

Last week I tried to watch a rented copy of Fantastic Four and couldn't get any options to show up on the menu screen nor could I exit the menu screen using any of the standard keys. I ended up having to use the "disc info" button and make a guess on the title number of the movie. I got lucky and was eventually able to watch the movie. Fantastic Four isn't even a new release nor is it a particularly advanced disc.

Those are just the problems that I've had in the last few weeks. They're nothing new. I'm actually on my second BDP-S1 because the HDMI jack broke in the first player that I owned. When I took it in for repair, they said that it was too big of a job to fix and gave me store credit for the player. If the store carried any Blu-ray players other than the BDP-S1 at the time, I probably wouldn't have gotten another BDP-S1.

For a player with a $1000 MSRP, Sony's "flagship" Blu-ray player is currently a piece of shit. Fortunately, all high definition DVD players can be updated via firmware.

Blu-ray may end up being the better format in the future. But from where I'm sitting, owning Sony's top of the line Blu-ray player and Toshiba's low end HD DVD player, HD DVD is still in the lead quality-wise.

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
I am just soooooooo confused now.
If you've waited this long, you may as well wait until the battle is over.

That's what I was going to do. Then my family gave me an HD DVD player for Christmas. A few months later, I was frustrated that some discs were only available on Blu-ray, while other discs were only available on HD DVD. So I went back to being "format neutral" again. But this time I did it by buying a Blu-ray player too.

Another option is to buy a dual format player. However, the only one that is currently available costs more than buying one of each and it doesn't play HD DVD menus properly. It builds its own.

The last option is based on if you're a gamer or not. You can play Blu-ray discs on a PS3 and you can play HD DVD's on an XBox 360 with the HD DVD player add-on ($199). IMO, if someone already owns an XBox 360 and it is connected to the same HDTV that they would want to use for watching movies, then the add-on HD DVD player is a no-brainer.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Blu-ray may end up being the better format in the future. But from where I'm sitting, owning Sony's top of the line Blu-ray player and Toshiba's low end HD DVD player, HD DVD is still in the lead quality-wise.
I've never had a problem with my Blu-Ray movies other than Full Metal Jacket looking like complete SHIT because it wasn't remastered to be HD and was just put on a Blu-Ray disc.

I have a cheap ole PS3 ($600) because I thought disc players were useless if they only play movies. I still think that. The HD movie players aren't worth the money.

I also like that the PS3 upconverts regular DVDs to look their best.

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Wow, people with PS3s will use anything to justify their purchase.

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
Wow, people with PS3s will use anything to justify their purchase.

The PS3 is, by far, the biggest selling piece of equipment that plays high definition DVD's. If it weren't for the PS3, the Blu-ray/HD DVD "war" would probably be over already, with HD DVD as the winner.

There are a lot of people who bought the PS3 solely as a Blu-ray player. For me, that wasn't an option. The PS3 doesn't accept IR remote commands. It uses a bluetooth remote (there are adapters, but they don't accept all commands). I have far too many components to deal with multiple remotes. I'm using the Harmony 880 to control my home theater equipment. It integrates everything perfectly. Sticking an incompatible piece of equipment into my system would have been stupid.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
My bet is on Blu-Ray. Too expensive now, even compared to HD-DVD, but that will all change soon.

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
The price of Blu-ray players may be dropping. But so are the prices of HD DVD players. HD DVD players are far more likely to hit the sub $200 or even sub $150 range, that will drive mass user acceptance, before Blu-ray does.

Blu-ray got a huge bump from the PS3 last Christmas. However, I don't think that occurs again this year because the people who want PS3's already have them. I think that the price point of HD DVD gives them the big bump this year.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Do people still go to Blockbuster anymore?

Bill

Aug 11, 2004
Huntington Station
I do. But only to return my high definition online rental discs and pick up free copies of TV series' that I've never seen and haven't started watching because I missed the early episodes.

I then make copies of those discs. Once I have a full season, I will have a marathon week (or weekend) watching that series.

Once I am done with all of the TV shows that I've missed, unless the Blockbuster near me starts carrying high def discs soon, I will likely cancel the online account and go to Netflix, who seems to be doing a better job of stocking and shipping HD DVD and Blu-ray discs.

If my local Blockbuster starts renting Blu-ray discs only. I will remove all of the Blu-ray titles from my online queue and only rent HD DVD's online. I will then return them to the store in exchange for free Blu-ray rentals.