Blood-alcohol reading may be a record at .50

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Blood-alcohol reading a whopper

ADAM LYNN; The News Tribune
Published: June 21st, 2007 01:00 AM

A Pierce County woman might have set a dubious record when she was arrested for drunken driving last month, authorities said Wednesday. A blood test showed that Rebecca G. Lingbloom had a blood-alcohol content of .50 two hours after her arrest, according to an affidavit of probable cause filed in District Court.
That’s more than six times the legal limit of .08 and ties the mark for the highest level ever found in a person’s blood by technicians at the Washington State Patrol’s toxicology laboratory in Seattle, said the lab’s manager, Ann Marie Gordon.
A King County driver also registered a .50 on a blood test back in 2000, Gordon said.
Gordon didn’t know if there’s ever been a higher level recorded by a state breath-testing machine. A former Seattle police detective arrested on suspicion of DUI in April blew a .47 on a portable breath tester, which some authorities said was a record.
In any event, a reading of .50 is extremely rare, Gordon said, so rare that technicians are required to reanalyze a blood sample if they get a reading that high.
“It certainly would kill many people,” she said.
The average blood-alcohol content of drunken drivers stopped in Washington is about .15, Gordon added.
Lingbloom, 45, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to one count of driving under the influence of alcohol on May 10.
Authorities contended in the affidavit that she nearly hit a pedestrian that day and was seen swerving all over the road.
A sheriff’s deputy later found her passed out behind the wheel of her car in the Summit area, the affidavit states.
Deputy prosecutor Bradley Moericke pointed out that Lingbloom was arrested on suspicion of DUI twice in the 1990s, and asked District Court Judge Frank Dacca to jail her in lieu of $20,000 bail. Moericke also requested that Lingbloom be monitored with an electronic bracelet that would record her movements should she make bail.
“I have concerns for the public’s safety,” the deputy prosecutor said.
Dacca declined both requests after Lingbloom told him she enrolled in a six-month treatment program for alcohol abuse not long after her arrest.
Public defender Clarence Henderson told the judge he called the clinic before Wednesday’s hearing and confirmed that Lingbloom was enrolled.
Dacca said he didn’t want to jeopardize Lingbloom’s treatment by sending her to jail. He did require that she continue her program and report to court July 24 for another hearing.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/92393.html
That is what I call commitment to drinking...

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
Doesn't that mean that 50% of her blood was actually alcohol?
No, it means 0.5% of her blood was alcohol.

Unless you were doing a show reference, in which case :clap:

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
A guy came down my road and plowed into 2 of our parked cars along the street at 70mph. The only skid marks were from my mom's tires dragging down the street from the emergency brake. All 4 cars ended up in front of my neighbors house.

He had a .5, and I really think that's the only reason he survived.