Bloomberg’s latest anti-smoking push would require stores to hide cigarettes

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Bloomberg’s latest anti-smoking push would require stores to hide cigarettes
By Holly Bailey, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 21 hrs ago

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is pushing for a new citywide law requiring stores to physically conceal cigarettes and other tobacco products behind counters, curtains or cabinets—anywhere out of public view—as part of a new anti-smoking initiative.

The legislation would also increase penalties on the smuggling and illegal sales of cigarettes as part of an effort that Bloomberg said would help curb the youth smoking rate and promote a healthier New York City.

“New York City has dramatically lowered our smoking rate, but even one new smoker is one too many—especially when it’s a young person,” Bloomberg said at a press conference on Monday. “Young people are targets of marketing and the availability of cigarettes, and this legislation will help prevent another generation from the ill health and shorter life expectancy that comes with smoking.”

The push comes just days after a judge overturned regulation backed by Bloomberg that would have limited the sales of large sugary drinks in New York City. Among other things, the judge in that case criticized Bloomberg for enacting the so-called “soda ban” by going through the city’s Health Department instead of the New York City Council.

While the city is appealing that decision, Bloomberg signaled a different policy tactic with his latest anti-smoking measure, announcing that he will present the legislation before the City Council later this week. If approved, New York City would be the first city in the nation to "conceal" tobacco products, Bloomberg said.

The move is just the latest anti-smoking effort pursued by Bloomberg, an ex-smoker. In 2002, he signed into law legislation that banned smoking in New York City bars and restaurants. In 2011, Bloomberg expanded that regulation to include public parks.

Bloomberg’s latest bill is likely to face heavy opposition from the tobacco industry as well as bodegas and other stores that depend heavily on the sales of cigarettes and other tobacco products.

City officials said any store where tobacco products make up more than 50 percent of its inventory would be exempt from the new rules.

The mayor has faced heavy criticism for his efforts to pass sweeping health regulations. At his news conference on Monday, Bloomberg bristled when he was asked about a recent illustration in the New York Daily News that depicted him as a “nanny” mayor—at first calling it a “stupid cartoon.” But Bloomberg, who was clearly irritated by the question, quickly reversed course and called the cartoon a “great badge of honor” because of “how many people are still alive” because of the health regulations he’s pursued as mayor.

“It’s the most wonderful cartoon I have ever seen,” Bloomberg insisted.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...-require-stores-hide-174231138--politics.html

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Curious to how many people actually buy legal cigarettes in NYC... I know it is a haul to those Indian reservations on LI...

Like when they went up in Ontario to like $10 a pack 15 years ago had a guy at work who would go into Chinatown and pick me up a couple of cartons of Marlboro's for like $20 a carton.

Once the government figured out how much money they were loosing in tax to these smuggled cigarettes they dropped the price back down...

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Curious to how many people actually buy legal cigarettes in NYC... I know it is a haul to those Indian reservations on LI...

Like when they went up in Ontario to like $10 a pack 15 years ago had a guy at work who would go into Chinatown and pick me up a couple of cartons of Marlboro's for like $20 a carton.

Once the government figured out how much money they were loosing in tax to these smuggled cigarettes they dropped the price back down...
I had a few friends who were getting cartons for like $12 each from Switzerland a few years back. Until NYC got wise to it and pallets of purchased cartons were left rotting on the port docks and not being released. So they all lost their money on those orders.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I had a few friends who were getting cartons for like $12 each from Switzerland a few years back. Until NYC got wise to it and pallets of purchased cartons were left rotting on the port docks and not being released. So they all lost their money on those orders.
Well when I first moved here smokes were $28 a carton in NH... and they had a 5 carton per transaction limit. And all you saw where Massholes and Mainers loading up on smokes... they have since raised the price to basically what you pay in ME now though.

Booze is still cheap in NH though... oddly wine is more expensive there then in Ontario though... like a buck or two per bottle.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
That's right. Worry about shit like this and ignore the real
problems like the growing debt and poor condition of subways
and tunnels. Nevermind the real problems. Just be the nanny.

SKEPTIC

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
May 12, 2007
1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, Illinois, 60613
What about the word "cigarette"? Shouldn't there be a tax everytime someone says that word? For the children! Think of the children!

And don't stop there! Make the very thought of smoking a thoughtcrime! Brilliant!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
What about the word "cigarette"? Shouldn't there be a tax everytime someone says that word? For the children! Think of the children!

And don't stop there! Make the very thought of smoking a thoughtcrime! Brilliant!
*BEEEEEP*

John Spartan, you are fined one credit for violation of the cigarette verbal utterance law. Be well.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
*BEEEEEP*

John Spartan, you are fined one credit for violation of the cigarette verbal utterance law. Be well.
How long until we have to start using the three seashells?

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
That movie is such a guilty pleasure of mine. Never get tired of it.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That movie is such a guilty pleasure of mine. Never get tired of it.
I fucking love Demolition Man. That movie is a beautiful (and entertaining) indictment of political correctness and utopian politics.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Too bad that's where we're headed instead of learning from it.
I'd like to think that we would've learned from it if only the commentary track on the DVD hadn't been the most boring commentary track I've ever listened to. Two or three dick jokes could've changed the course of American politics.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
With the advent of the cool ranch taco, I'm thinking that prophecy is coming closer to reality.