Bloomberg Leaves GOP

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_170181024.html

(CBS) NEW YORK Mayor Michael Bloomberg is leaving the Republican party and will remain unaffiliated with any political party, CBS 2 HD learned Tuesday night.

The move will clearly begin advancing rumors that the mayor is gearing towards a presidential run, which he has denied in the past.

In a statement, however, the 65-year-old billionaire indicated this doesn't change his plans for his political future.

"I have filed papers with the New York City Board of Elections to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party. Although my plans for the future haven’t changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our City."

On Tuesday, Bloomberg was in California attending a conference at the University of Southern California along with California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who said Bloomberg would make an "excellent candidate" if he were to make a presidential run.

The pair appeared on this week's cover of Time magazine.

The California trip is part of a recent series of out-of-state trips, which has added to the speculation that he may run. On Monday, he visited the Google Inc. campus in Mountain View, Calif., a trip that four other announced presidential candidates have made.

He was also in Los Angeles on Monday where he bashed partisan politics in Washington, saying it was putting "our future in jeopardy." He hinted Tuesday's exit from the GOP when he said the nation was on a "wrong-headed course" unless politicians could work together across party lines.

In his statement Tuesday, Bloomberg -- who joined the Republican party in 2001 after spending his life as a registered Democrat -- went on to discuss his progress in leading New York City.

“A nonpartisan approach has worked wonders in New York: we’ve balanced budgets, grown our economy, improved public health, reformed the school system and made the nation’s safest city even safer.

“We have achieved real progress by overcoming the partisanship that too often puts narrow interests above the common good. As a political independent, I will continue to work with those in all political parties to find common ground, to put partisanship aside and to achieve real solutions to the challenges we face.

“Any successful elected executive knows that real results are more important than partisan battles and that good ideas should take precedence over rigid adherence to any particular political ideology. Working together, there’s no limit to what we can do.”
Related
http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=67407

Bunny™

The mod who didn't
Staff member
Jun 12, 2005
Li'l Rhody
JEW!
The GOP must have been getting on his ass about not paying his yearly dues.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
Was there any Republican in New York actually excited about the guy?

I figured he ran as Republican just because they didn't have anyone to vote for.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Was there any Republican in New York actually excited about the guy?

I figured he ran as Republican just because they didn't have anyone to vote for.
Pretty much.

And I'm really hard pressed to find anyone, be they Dem or Republican (or independent for that matter) who likes him. I can't really see him swaying the GOP vote in 08. He'd appeal more to Dems based upon his politics, but even then, I don't think people will care.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Bloomberg was a registered Democrat before he decided to run for mayor of new york.

And he would NEVER have gotten elected if it wasn't for Giuliani's support and Rudy's popularity after 9/11.

The fact that he is getting involved in the 08 Presidential race and criticizing Giuliani speaks volumes about this man's character and blind ambition.

He owes his entire political career to Rudy Giuliani. If you don't think he'd make a good president, just shut your stupid mouth.

B

BAGFASHER

Hey Bloomie save your money, you dont stand a chance west of the hudson river. Unless you're just doing it to get Hillary elected like perot did letting her husband squeek in in 1992. As soon as people get wind of your half baked ideas like giving money to minorities so they will get their kids to school and go to the doctor. Are you for real! :haha7:

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Unless he's even more arrogant than I gave him credit for (and I imagine him to be pretty fucking arrogant), he'll drop this nonsense once the polls come out and he discovers that he doesn't have a chance in hell outside of possibly New York.