Blueberry grower fined by U.S. Immigration

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
MILBRIDGE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement or ICE has issued a fine of $118,000 to Jasper Wyman and Son, a Blueberry grower based in Milbridge.

In a press release, ICE stated that the fine is for various violations that enabled the company to hire illegal aliens. Jasper Wyman and Son received the highest fine of any company in the New England Region.

Commercial Cleaning Service of Allston, MA. was ordered to pay a $100,000 fine; and D'Agostino Associates, Inc., Newton, Mass., was fined $22,792.

Wyman President and CEO Ed Flannagan says the company already paid the fine last October and points out that this was for violations that occured several years ago. ICE officials say they audited I9 forms for employees hired by Wyman between January 2006 and January 2008.

ICE Special Agent in Charge Brue Focart says during that time there were likely more than 200 employees working in the U.S. illegally at Jasper Wyman and Son.

Link

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Wyman President and CEO Ed Flannagan says the company already paid the fine last October and points out that this was for violations that occured several years ago.
I'm confused. So are these a combination of a variety of fines and not just a standalone fine?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I guess he is going to be a stand alone grower till the heat blows over.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
good, i'm glad they got fucked, nice to see the government actually doing something i can support

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Fucking Monsanto ratted him out for not using the GMO seeds on his farm, amirite Kirk!
Nope, if you use any kind of Monsanto seeds without their permission they sue you.

[video=youtube;2P1CJ7IEt0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1CJ7IEt0c[/video]

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
This is 100% true, along with DeKalb and a lot other seed providers. This is because the seeds have been genetically enhanced, which is not cheap and they are trying to make sure they get a return on their investment. So if you grow a field full of Monsanto corn, you can't keep part of the corn to reseed your field the next year. You must buy the seed. Hence, some very hardcore watching of farms.

What I don't get is how it's such a big conspiracy. If you spent $100,000,000 developing a corn that is resistant to illness and pests, wouldn't you be opposed to releasing the seeds for one season, making zero profit???

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Oh, and good. Hire Americans to pick your fucking blooberrys or pay a huge fine and pick them yourself. A lot of agriculture was picked by Americans long before Jose Burrito and his amigos started piling into this country.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
Oh, and good. Hire Americans to pick your fucking blooberrys or pay a huge fine and pick them yourself. A lot of agriculture was picked by Americans long before Jose Burrito and his amigos started piling into this country.
esactly

up until the 50's -60's Americans picked all the fruit and veggies

out here in Kalifornia, during the dust bowl era all the Okies came out here and did farm labor

watch the movie Grapes of Wrath

I think they even put it out in book form ;)

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I guess he is going to be a stand alone grower till the heat blows over.
Well someone already took the stand alone joke, so I'm out.

esactly

up until the 50's -60's Americans picked all the fruit and veggies

out here in Kalifornia, during the dust bowl era all the Okies came out here and did farm labor

watch the movie Grapes of Wrath

I think they even put it out in book form ;)
Yeah, things looked awesome for them back then.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
We all know there is a certain minority population of people that were quite good at working in the fields with their hands. But this time, they will be paid for their labors and can take pride in feeding the country, instead of being fed by it.

Not having a sarcasm font, makes me an angry boy.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Not having a sarcasm font, makes me an angry boy.
Well then get out there and arrest an illegal, then proceed to pistol whip the shit out of him(using a phone book for padding so as not to leave any evidence of course), after that, you shouldn't have a sad anymore.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
But Americans aren't going to work for 3$ an hour.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Well in a month or so they move up north to harvest Maine potatoes... so moar fines... prob not... as those are typically not company farms...

Wrecktum

Tounge puncher of fart boxes
Jun 29, 2006
Cervix spelunking
No one but beaners want to pick fruit for minimum wage. It's hot you work long hours and get covered in insects.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
paying that fine is cheaper than paying some "American" asshole that sticks his paw into a machine and gets it cut off. grind up a beener? toss him into the fertilizer tank and keep on picking.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
paying that fine is cheaper than paying some "American" asshole that sticks his paw into a machine and gets it cut off. grind up a beener? toss him into the fertilizer tank and keep on picking.
Exactly. "Cost of doing business". The $100,000 is small potatoes compared to the cost of minimum wage, benefits and UI required to hire Americans to do this work. But let the free market decide. Continue to offer the $1 heads of lettuce, next to the $5 heads of "fair trade" lettuce and let people vote with their wallets.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
This is pretty common in every industry right now. Every federal agency that can target businesses to levy fines is doing it. There's at least 30 oil companies off the top of my head that have been hit with mostly bullshit fines in the neighborhood of $150k recently, most have settled for $5k or so. They're literally just out fund raising, most of the time there hasn't even been ANY wrong-doing, it's just more expensive to fight the charges than settle for the essential bribe.

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
Continue to offer the $1 heads of lettuce, next to the $5 heads of "fair trade" lettuce and let people vote with their wallets.

I am so tired of this argument. Stop acting like the growers are a bunch of do-gooders that are only hiring illegals instead of Americans because they dont want us paying $5 for lettuce. They are not hiring illegals and then passing the savings on to us, they are just doing it to make more money for themselves. If lettuce was already $5 they would still be having illegals pick it because its more money for them.

I bet if they hired Americans to do the job they could still make a profit, just not as much. I am sure the produce industry wouldn't dry up and die if they had to *gasp* hire Americans. So stop acting like these growers are doing us a favor by hiring illegals.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
americans arnt going to do the work. they are fat spoiled and lazy. they would rather sit around and collect unemployment or welfare than bust there asses picking fruit. if they rounded up all the fat lazy spooks that are waiting in line for there checks and dumped them in a field and told them to pick tomatoes 90% of them would file workman's comp claims for bad backs hurt knees and broken nails and hair extensions that fell out i blame unions.